What makes the MXR 1974 reissue phaser so special?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Jun 1, 2009.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Anyone have the new 74 reissue? Is it that much better than the standard script reissue or a block letter modded to script specs?

2. Classic09

Classic09 Member

It's in the quality of the components and straighter layout of the design.

I have a block letter with "script" mod (it's a mod to make it sound more script like - it doesn't make it anywhere near the same spec) and the '74 is much more musical and sits in the mix - organic sounding. The Block, even with the script mod is too blatent and feels like it sits on top of the original sound. Also, the '74 is naturally a slower phase and definitely more 3D sounding.

3. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

check out gearmanndude's youtube comparison, the 74 reissue is awesome. the script mod on the new reissues is not really a script mod at all, it just removes some feedback.

4. Andre357

Andre357 Member

+1 Great description. It really is lush and well....ear pleasing.

I was using an EVH phaser prior to buying the 74 re-issue ( it had a " script " button )....and that is long gone.....

5. Yek

Yek Member

+1. Well described.

I got mine from a shop that delivered it modded: true bypass, LED and power plug. Its tone plus those added features make it into a fantastic pedal.

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

So it doesn't have a power plug? Is it tough to make true Bypass?

I was going to just grab a block logo off ebay and mod myself! Shouldn't I be able to do this? My friend's block logo modded to script sounds great.
    I don't want the audible pop or noise of an older style phaser so the 74 scared me a bit. I always thought the standard script sounded very natural but Germandude did recommend the new block logo for the VH sound because he said it stands out more.

I was thinking a phaser with a script switch would give me both sounds.

Is this - MXR CSP-101 'Script logo' Phase 90 - the same as modding a block logo phase 90?

7. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

yup...I bought your mod version of the 74' reissue...it is FANTASTIC! I've been through tons of the other available versions and modded versions...the AM mod MXR 74' reissue is the finest. It really nails the fat Pink Floyd stuff and the VH stuff...perfect warm and musical.

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Those are key features that need as well. I will have to search to see if there is a place in the USA that offers these phase 90's already modded.

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks guys!

I was reading this review and this is what I want - this is reviewing the stock Phase 90 block. I want to be able to have this and script mode so I can have one good for distorted passages and one good for clean.
    I do have rack effects so maybe I could use that for one and the Phase 90 for the other type tones.

"The MXR Phase 90 classic phase tone comes from the addition of added distortion to the guitar signal. It is a warm, thick phase that sounds great with distorted guitar tones and that is really the strength of this unit. Excellent range of phase speeds from very slow to shimmering fast and everything in between. Kick it in with a slower rate to add some motion to your solos or speed up the rate to get simulated Leslie rotating speaker effects. At its highest rate with a touch of chorus you get a something that sounds as if you are playing under water. The added distortion can be a minus for those looking for transparent and clean phase tones, but for rock, this is your effect. There is a “script” mod that can be done to the unit to help remove the distortion for improved clean phasing. The mod was not performed on this unit and is not contained in this review. This is a great effect and it is easy to see why the Phase 90 remains one of the most popular phasers on the market."

is there a Youtube clip comparing the standard script or script mod to the 1974 reissue?

10. strat68

strat68 Member

11. warioblast

warioblast Member

TB it is very easy, I posted a pic of the mod a few months ago.
    The hardest part for me was to squeeze the board & the foam protection into the box once the mode was done.
    I didn't add a power plug. I drilled a box backplate to fit the battery cord thing from the PP2.

Oh and yes the '74 phase is amazing. It has a great (uni)vibe to it.

12. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

the MXR 74' works great for both clean and distorted phasing...better than any of the others IMHO..I had a modded MXR phase 90 'toggle' between script and block on my board that got completely blown off by the 74' that I bought from Analog Mike...I looked long and hard for a phase pedal that sounds this good.... I tried: all other MXR phases and mods, HBE Phase, Maxon 350 phase, tons of univibe pedals including the KR megavibe, Fulltone, mojovibe, Retro-man vibe, dunlop etc.....you will NOT be disappointed with the 74' reissue MXR pedal....get the one modded by analogman with boss powerjack, led and true bypass :RoCkIn

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

Were can i get that one? How much? I didn't see it on the Analogman site.

Also, I love the clips I hear of the Phase 90 Script reissue so I would love to hear some youtube comparisons. If I am going to be spend this much for a pedal, is it just as easy to mod myself, both mods? What about just getting the Retro-Sonic which is versatile.

14. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Try www.analogman.com

I just ordered his modded '74 MXR Phaser a few days ago (so it's cool to read this thread!).

15. meterman

meterman Member

Anybody compared it to the Retrosonic phaser? That's the best one I've found among the ones I've tried including a 'script' modified block RI, Maxon Phasetone and the Shannon...all the features you need too including a depth control....

16. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

I had the 74 reissue with the led and ac jack, tones were there, but it distorted or fuzzed the tone a bit, I hated it, does the non led model sound different, I have a byoc 90 for now. My original 1974 phase 90 was much nicer than the led 74 reissue.

17. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I just picked one up recently and it's awesome. I've been through quite a few phasers (Maxon PH350, Boss PH1-r, etc.) and this one is my favorite along w/ the Analogman modded Small Stone. Extremely natural/organic. I also have the EVH version and that's a great one as well, very versatile w/ the two modes. I don't really get why people bash it, the script mode is pretty close to the '74, although not *quite* as nice. The block mode is cool for more modern/midrangey sounds and doesn't get distorted like the regular Phase 90.

18. papersoul

papersoul Member

l
    Thanks! My buddy has a block phase 90 with the toggle script mod and it seems almost identical to the EVH model which also has the toggle or button! Maybe basically the same phaser.

Anyone know anything about the serial numbers? I have a guy selling an older block letter with the script mod - serial 101-2004

19. MrHuge

MrHuge Member

The (CSP026) '74 Script Phase 90 reissue has never been made with an LED or power jack from the factory. What you are talking about was the CSP101 script Phase 90 reissue which came out before I did the '74 script reissue... the CSP101 was not hand wired like th '74 is.
    -Mr. Huge

20. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Either that or he might be talking about the '74 w/ Analogman mods.