What makes U2 a polarizing band?

WildRanger

U2 is probably one of the most successful and also one of the most polarizing rock bands. They have a ton of fans and a ton of haters.
What are (musical) reasons that make them polarizing?

Spooky Action

I don't think the reasons they are polarizing are musical.
Even Bono acknowledges his 90s activism wearing the obnoxious shades (for astigmatism) was hard for the public to swallow. He had great goals, but did a poor job explaining himself and selling his ideas.

The music was still really good, and still is. Amazes and inspires me to continue writing and performing.

eclecto-acoustic

Supporting Member
I don't think the reasons they are polarizing are musical.
Even Bono acknowledges his 90s activism wearing the obnoxious shades (for astigmatism) was hard for the public to swallow. He had great goals, but did a poor job explaining himself and selling his ideas.

The music was still really good, and still is. Amazes and inspires me to continue writing and performing.
Basically this.

WordMan

Silver Supporting Member
U2, like Springsteen, are the rare rockers who trade in Uplift as their primary energy. Not Danger, or Differentness, etc.

Uplift is hard in Rock under the best of circumstances. Coming across like your integrity may be compromised while trying to be the Uplift Team can really anger folks.

Powderfinger

Gold Supporting Member
U2, like Springsteen, are the rare rockers who trade in Uplift as their primary energy. Not Danger, or Differentness, etc.

Uplift is hard in Rock under the best of circumstances. Coming across like your integrity may be compromised while trying to be the Uplift Team can really anger folks.
Man, there are a lot of dark, depressing Springsteen songs.

Simon

Supporting Member
Bono is a great singer! He's one of those guys that can sing really high without it sounding strained.
The Edge is an extremely humble rock star, and a great innovative player. Don't even get me started on how good of a singer He is.

It's been a long time now, but when they came out it was something new and original.
I find it really interesting that as kids they were a band before any of them could really play.

Mngwa

Many closed minds disparage The Edge's playing, as well.
I don't get that - it is (was) unique and immediately recognizable, even if the music was not for everyone.
There are plenty of bands that I don't care for, that I don't disparage; and most play better than I do.

mycroftxxx

My major take on U2 is: IMHO, their catalog is a lot lower quality than it ought to be for a band who has achieved the success and acclaim they have. They have some very good songs, but there’s a lot of filler there too. All IMHO, YMMV of course.

I confess that Bono’s politics don’t get on my nerves quite the way Springsteen’s do.

Trending Topics