What makes U2 a polarizing band?

kinmike

Supporting Member
The reason is simply that they are so successful. It brings the opposition out. Human nature.

blong

Supporting Member
Same here. I strong political beliefs and a strong personal philosophy, but they are mine, and I respect others may completely disagree. I love U2, but I agree that since Joshua Tree, they have done nothing to impress me. Beautiful Day was a good song, but nothing else.

I think we are kindred spirits in allowing our politics to influence our choice in art, and vice versa.

Bob

AZJim

For me it wasn't necessarily Bono, it was their sound. That high chimney, delayed constant 16th notes supposedly being revolutionary guitar playing, and the drum pattern, again constant 16ths or triplets supposedly being "irish," bleah. IMO, others of course love them. To each...

AA864

Bono trying to tell me how to prioritize my morality to align with his and what I should care about is annoying as fvck.

Amp_Addicted

I saw them fairly early while they were touring in support of October. I respect them, but they weren't my thing then or now. U2 wasn't very well known-I think I saw them for like a $3 ticket at a place called the Rainbow Music Hall in Denver, CO. Barry Fey, the promoter, ran onto stage after their 2nd encore and claimed that U2 would be the next Who or Rolling Stones. A little over a year later, U2 had that concert at Red Rocks with Barry Fey promoting it, and a legend was born. I like Joy Division better, but whatever.

Oh also the whole spat with Negativland? I'm sure that kind of small potatoes thing was repeated with other obscure acts over the years.
The Negativland thing was more about those guys knowing Casey Kasem's engineer who would share America's Top 40 outtakes with a community of other engineers. Some of those tapes were totally hysterical with a slightly inebriated Casey Kasem cussing about the lame music he was pushing.

rdhanson.atl

A Space Age Love Song" is basically a blueprint for what U2 would do on their first couple albums.
You do know that song came out AFTER U2 recorded their first 2 albums, and played a 15,000 person festival near where Flock of Seagulls was based? I love both bands, but I wouldn’t consider either as ripping off the other.

Trending Topics