What Marshall inspired amp/tone ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dylheaven, Dec 7, 2016.

1. dylheaven

dylheaven Member

Been looking for a great plexi to jcm 800 marshall inspired amp. But their is simply to many. Anyone chime in on their favorites ??

Thanks

2. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

3. guitargeek6298

guitargeek6298 Member

Jcm800 is my favorite plexi inspired amp.

4. thebowl

thebowl Member

DSL 40C, with a vintage JBL D120F, and some nice pre-amp tubes in it. Oh, and a Les Paul plugged straight in.

5. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

6. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Metroplex.
    I've yet to hear anything better.
    Some come close and I keep hearing "Oh, but there are so many Marshall tones". And I had a Marshall collection that offered a number of them. Still, everyone has their personal favorite Marshall tone. Mine is a plexi with the roar of a thousand angry angels. When I hear it I know it immediately. Not too overly saturated, plenty of sustain, vocal guitars tones and absolutely roaring, pissed off angry sounding in an angelic way.
    When I hear a proper sounding one, it stands out from the rest.
    The older I get, the less I want to settle for "good enough".
    I can't try anything out before I buy where I live, so Youtube is my judge along with clips offered here.
    So far I like the Brunetti and the Metroplex, but for whatever reason, the Metroplex stands way out in clips I have listened too.
    My favorite is Lance Keltners demos.
    His tone is the best of any clips I have heard. No fancy fast bull ****. He plays so the tones he is demoing come through to the listener.
    If his video technique is what brings through the tones of a given product, then I'm sold.

Maybe another company is putting up videos that don't demo the tone as well, but their product can sound as good or better then any other product in its class. If I dont hear it come through, I can't bring myself to buy it because I am not hearing it come through in the video. That's all I have to go on.

Anyone else in this same situation, and needing to rely on videos to make a buying decision? It's not an easy way to decide what to buy, but I have learned to live with it and be happy, since the alternatives are not there.

I wish Lance Keltner would demo a Brunetti Pleximan. No offense to Sam Vilo, but as well as he can play, I don't feel he is doing as good a video demo as that amp deserves, and imho, that's a shame.
    And, if Sam is not trying to do a demo video, but rather, just play for himself, that's good as well, but listening to all of his videos I am not sold on the Brunetti tone as much as I am on the Metroplex, but yes, Sam is a very fine guitarist, as his videos demonstrate. That comes through in spades.
    Ymmv

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    guitarnut_1 and Bluesman79 like this.
  7. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

I like my '81 2204
    Cant imagine needing anything else for marshall tones.

8. dylheaven

dylheaven Member

I've been so curious about what seperates a wizard, or a metroplex, from say a Friedman, or splawn, or fargen. I know the cost of building is higher. Parts labor etc. but wondering if the tone difference is that huge.

9. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    These amps will each have their own take on a Marshall sound.
    For me it gets down to which amp sounds closest to what you want to hear.

10. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

Yes all those amps have distinctly different base tones and feel, but when you say "the tone" difference, it's kinda like saying I wonder how different they are to "my (your) tone" standards cause we need more than one vintage/modern Marshall type sounds or I do atleast. For me it was in 2012 with the Friedman BE simply because it excited and inspired me from the first live demo more than any other amplifier, not Youtube demos, and Dave Friedman's wheels are always turning to improve versatility with 2016 updating for owners to be even more versatile but with base tones still being perfection IMHO. But it's a modern take on vintage Plexi with higher gain like the Splawn Quick Rod. It just simply does all I've ever wanted in an amp from low volume to stage with remarkable perfection. For true clone like Plexi JCM tones I'd look more over to the Metro style of amp making.

And the price difference of those amps are generally down to parts and production costs from my experience having owned many of them. Your on the right path though, cause regardless they are all top notch amps with real Marshall style tone no hype.

C-4 and dylheaven like this.
  11. 71strat

71strat Member

Any Metro/Germino

I like JTM45/100 x JTM45

Park. Same as above. Any of them

Wallace

Mojave

Bluesman79 likes this.
  12. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

The Friedman stuff is great, particularly the Dirty Shirley. The Suhr Badger 18 also could be a good option although its EL84 based.

hotmod likes this.
  13. cal1024

cal1024 Supporting Member

I've had several and they were all really good in their own ways, but I came back around and got a 78 JMP 2204. All of the classic songs just come out of that without any effort. I like many other amps, but there is something to be said for getting a real Marshall for real Marshall tones.

14. sggibby

sggibby Member

3rd Power dream plexi 50

15. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

!000% agreed. Amazing amps (mine's also a '81).

16. hotmod

hotmod Member

Marshall silver jubilee, marshall mini jubilee, Friedman dirty shirley, Friedman pink taco, dr z remedy , Dr z srz, Gladius amps, a few Orange models.

ThePitbullofLove likes this.
  17. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Just get a vintage 2203/4. ..... nothing better. I've got a 79, 80 and 82 2203's and 2x 82 4104's and they all have THAT sound.

Also got a Ceriatone 2203 that's a great amp that has shown expensive boutique 'Marshall Killers' the door.. ....95 % as good as the originals.

For the Plexi thing, I've got a 98 Superlead reissue with PPIMV that does THAT sound effortlessly. .....chewy mids, harmonics, sustain, punch. A tad more mid focused and harder sounding than my vintage amps(similar to the Ceriatone ) but still a wicked sound that's different enough to make it a keeper.

I've tried some boutique interpretations with lots of added features, but IMO they don't sound right.

Moby Dick, Geeze, C-4 and 1 other person like this.
  18. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Staff Member

There's a lot.
    a real one is easy to come by as is a reissue.
    Freidman Smallbox will go there and beyond.
    3rd Power citizen gain goes there and beyond
    Redplate Redline is my favorite offering, single channel, dual masters and cleans up way better...and more gainy.
    Metroplex, Fargen Old 800,

there's really tons of great options.

What other 'needs' to you have to help narrow it down?

Me I'd do the Redplate or the 3rd power ...or the smallbox...(which sounds more modern.

19. guitargeek6298

guitargeek6298 Member

I have a 4010 combo, from late '80. It sounds good through the G12-65, but it sounds FANTASTIC through an extension cab. Most of the classic Marshall tones are there in spades. If you don't need channel switching, there's no reason not to go with an 800.

BADHAK likes this.
  20. ThePitbullofLove

ThePitbullofLove Member

I like my '82 2204....just sayin'...

Serenity, Moby Dick and BADHAK like this.