What Mesa/Boogie am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dead Astronaut, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neptical

Neptical Member

You're right on the money (I had a Studio 22+ as well). Don't hold back, get one. For a little more girth, you can always add an extra 1x12 EV/Thiele for the bottom and you'll have a phenomenal rig.

2. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

My DC5 has beautiful Blackface cleans and killer Recto gains.
    50w 1x12 EL34s with a 90w Black Shadow (rebadged Celestion G12K-85)
    Loud as a mofo, I did the volume pot taper mod & it's much more manageable now.
    Switchable graphic EQ is great for solos. Weighs around 60lbs though.
    [​IMG]

3. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

The modern multi-watt rectifiers are less fizzy and generally tighter in my experience.

The MKIII is a great metal amp and it is brash and aggressive. The MKIV is also a great metal amp, but is smoother overall and probably better lends itself to the genres you identified.

Wyzard likes this.
  4. cardinal

cardinal Member

Another vote for some type of Mark-flavored amp.

I love Rectos, but they are temperamental and fussy over everything in the signal chain.

A Mark is pretty forgiving of all that stuff and delivers an aggressive but smooth lead tone through pretty much any set up IME.

5. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

It’s funny because I have the opposite experience. Fussy Marks, forgiving Rectifier. I mean, we’re both correct here; it’s just our basic style of play and the type of stuff we use between the amps, the window we consider for pleasing tone are all likely different.

cardinal likes this.
  6. Timothy Martin

Timothy Martin Member

Find a used Peavey 6505 MH+, it is the Dual Rec in a 20 watt platform.(the most comparable tone would be Journey "Stone in Love" from years gone by.) I picked up a used one for $300 and paired it with my 1960A cab(I did demo it with a 1x12, but the turbosound that I demo'd it with killed lower frequencies and I much prefer it with a 4x12).

forgivenman likes this.
  7. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

That brings up something else I've been curious about – what's the deal with these Thiele cabinets? I'm not in the market for a cab, but I like to understand as much as I can, and I gather that the Thiele is a cab ported in some specific way that increases bass response quite a bit?

I get the concept of a ported cab – that it's got extra apertures to move more air out of the enclosure instead of primarily generating the sound of the speaker resonating in a closed space – but when I look at schematics, I can't see a difference. Is the porting an additional hole, or is it a wider-diameter speaker mount so that the speaker's kind of suspended in the middle, or what, exactly?

This thread's been great, by the way. TGP can get ridiculous, but when you really need a bunch of knowledgeable and helpful strangers, there's no better place to find them.

Gearhunter likes this.
  8. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

Odd how nobody but Boogie enthusiasts ever talks about the cleans, isn't it? Even as frustrating as I found the Single Rec, the clean channel was gorgeous – like a blackface Fender, as you say, but with more warmth in the midrange – and the Pushed switch turned it into an astonishing approximation of a ’59 Bassman, like dead-on A/B, "I don't know which is which"-level close.

They've had their missteps (a lot fewer, be it said, than much of their competition), but them Mesa boys can make the hell out of an amplif'ar.

Gearhunter, FbIsNotE and FLYING V 83 like this.
  9. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

WOW, just checked a Youtube demo, and that mini head sounds enormous. It's not exactly what I'm looking for right now – I don't have a cab, and the only one available to me is some no-name ’80s thing loaded with Asstone speakers (I've never pried the back off, but they sound like cheap replicas of a T-75, which I don't like anyway) – but it's definitely one to keep in mind.

Funny, my brother's got one of the coveted original block-letter 5150s, and I've never liked it. Way too hissy, thin, and buzzy. This 6505 is clearly superior to my ear.

10. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Go Mark. They are not fizzy amps. Rectos can have a pretty aggressive top end, especially in modern modes. Also, no V30s, those are too strident in the upper mids, even the Boogie sourced ones.

11. BMW-KTM

BMW-KTM Member

The Calibre Series of amps was built with the tube sockets mounted directly to the board rather than to the chassis and connected to the board through wires. As a result, some of the amps which saw a lot of play and were left on for several hours at a time could experience issues related to overheating the board. They are great sounding amps but you will want to see the guts before buying a used one.

Many amplifiers today have similar build designs (notably, the entire range of Fender HotRod/Blues amps) and should be purchased used only under close scrutiny of the internals. It is prudent to turn the amp off between sets rather than simply place it in standby mode to give the amp time to cool. Not all Boogies were built this way so it doesn't automatically apply to all of their products.

Pictured here is the board on my .50 Calibre which failed mid-set and required extensive repairs.

[​IMG]

12. Timothy Martin

Timothy Martin Member

I would have said Mark as well for tweekability, but he clearly said he was poor, and the Mark series is not cheap(I bought a used Mark v 90 for 1350.00, and that was a steal for a Mark head)

13. yfeefy

yfeefy Member

A Black shadow is just any mesa rebranded speaker, for example my mark IV had a black shadow, which was an evm12l. I also had a couple of open back cabs with black shadows which were celestion g12-80.

14. Neptical

Neptical Member

It's just the way the Thiele is designed, you need to play it and feel the difference. The Mark Series and those cabs loaded with EVs are ridiculously good sounding. Very big..wide and balanced.

Just remembered, Allan Holdsworth's favorite amp was his early Dual Rec.
    https://reverb.com/item/7944396-mes...20-rev-revision-c-holy-grail-pre-500-winged-c

15. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

Huh, I thought the Black Shadow was specifically Mesa's own version of the G12-80 Classic Lead. The "5-6kHz rolloff" described in the Studio .22+ manual certainly makes it sound like one of those.

16. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

Interesting – I've been looking into the Vintage Black Shadow VS-12 50 watt, and I guess it's Mesa's OEM version of an Eminence 50. Can anybody tell me about those?

EDIT: I'm generally seeing "rolled-off high end," "darkish," "thick midrange," which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  17. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

The TA30 is it ... Beautiful clean and H1 and H2 on the red channel will give you what you're looking for.

18. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Mesa called the Vintage Shadow something like "a Jensen voice coil/paper former with a crunchy Celestion cone..."

19. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

Odd – everything I've seen suggests that the Vintage Black Shadow VS-12 is just a rebranded Eminence Vintage 50. I associate Jensen with that icepick treble (though maybe that's not entirely fair), but the Studio .22s I've heard are a world away from icepicky.

20. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Silver Supporting Member

The Thiele cab would not pair well with your recto based on your tonal desires I don’t think.

However, trying a different cab speaker combo could easily fix your tone search.

Get a cab and speaker combo that lends itself to what you are looking for. If it’s fizzy on the top end, get a smoother warmer response speaker cab combo. Not sure if you have a favorite speaker or not.