What Mesa for Santana these days? (rant content as well)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by electronpirate, Jan 30, 2006.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Which one is he playing these days? Does it have mods on it? Or does he do stock?

I saw him in concert long ago (to give you the timeline, the 'Ronnie Montrose band' opened for him...if you know who got his start there...) His tone was amazing then, and for some reason, it seems to not sound as rich as back then.

Sidenote rant:
    If I hear ONE more new pop star sing a mediocre song with Santana noodling the same licks over and over again...I'm going to go Postal. He may be a legend, but he could get back into the practice room to learn a few new tricks...
    Rant over.

But I am curious about his rig.

EP

2. aeolian

aeolian Member

I've heard that while he has the Dumble and ToneTubby rig out front, he still has the old MkI and 1-12 Altec cab sitting on the stage. And he switches to that for classic solos. And I've heard that it is set up ungodly loud, and on the verge of constant runaway.

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

He's playing his Dumble, mostly, these days...

4. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I also agree that hes time has been and gone.
    I have a mate with a great Santana album, great guitar sound, cant remember the name of that particular album
    I went out and bought the best of the early years (I suppose this would be the Boogie MK1 days) Thinking it would be really good.
    It was all crap, My mum plays a better guitar than that, the sound was also quite mediocre.
    No diss to Santana fans but I thought it was very average.

5. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

First 3 albums are where its at, just straight up ass kicking from an SG or Les Paul and a Twin, you would have to be a real dip **** to make that rig sound bad! However the other night I heard a live show of his on the radio and was actually quite suprised at the level of improv he was doing to some of his old classics, was pretty refreshing and he was really playing off the band, but yeah, the last few years haven't been his most shinning moments, even if he did get all those grammy's.

6. shakti

shakti Member

I saw Santana at Roskilde in 04 expecting to hate it (and part of the time I did, especially when some baby-faced Ricky Martin look-a-like came out and "sang"), but the band can still play, let there be no doubt. Everybody knows the latest albums are among the suckiest things ever produced, though.

In the old days, though...wow, what a different story. Still one of my top 5, maybe even top 3 players from that era. You can't go wrong with anything from the first album through 1974 or so (well, the Santana/Buddy Miles albums isn't that great...).

7. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

He was fine with the first nooling album. The one with Smooth on it which I hate cause I think Rob Thomas is a girl... He's lost it now. With Michelle Branch how can you call that a Santana tune? Hes just the guitar player...

Whatever, I know a ton of guys who'd smoke him...His day is done. Not that I dont love his early stuff. He should go back to that and then he'd be doing something useful..

</rant>

Richard

8. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Supporting Member

But, he has to play with current stars in order to reach the masses of people that are awaiting his "musical/spiritual orgasm" ... jeesh ;)

9. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

He's too stoned to realize he sucks.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I pretty much like all of Santana's playing, great phrasing and style... I don't care for all the pop tunes, but his playing is great, to me...

11. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

The way I read that at the end where it listed his amp set up...it sounded to me like he was back to using his Mark I Boogie again most of the time.
    From the article:

12. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Ahhhhh.
    Another Santana thread.....
    The "Self Appointed Guitar Ninja":hiP
    Philosphy, metaphors, associations, influences, spirituality,... man, he's got EVERYTHING going for him.
    Especially Santaniac:

"Santaniac is a spiritual place you go when you know you hit the right note"
    "Not anyone can reach Santaniac, you've got to reach in...feel the pain"
    "Santaniac can only be achieved when you've mastered all the greats"
    "After reaching Santaniac you'll need a rag to wipe up all your beautiful guitar jizz you just shot all over the radio"
    "Yup, that's me. Carlos Santaniac. Peace".

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

My take on it (without getting into whether his music is crap or not....) is this:

He uses a mix of Boogie and Dumble amps. I prefer his sound with just the Boogie...........

A lot of people on here think they suck but my Boogie MarkIV (I'm really a Marshall/Tweed type guy...) gets a better Santana sound than he does (c/w a Lester)!!!!

Try one. Loud.

Best, Pete.