What metronome do you use?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KennethC, Jan 23, 2008.

1. KennethC

KennethC Member

Guys, I've heard time and time again that practising with a metronome will help me play faster and more accurately. My rhythm sense is pretty good, but when it comes to the faster stuff on solos, I tend to lose it a lil. Thinking of getting a good metronome. Have a boss TU-80 metronome cum tuner, but it's too soft to be any good at all, and now I want a more solid metronome, but don't know what's out there.

What metronome do you use and recommend? I'd appreciate if you could also let me know the rough price range I'd expect to pay for it.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I don't think I want the good 'ol piano metronome... an electronic one would do better pls. :)

2. Brien

Brien Member

Here's the one I like. Not great for features, but has a nice woody sound and good volume. I don't like scrolling, or menus when I'm praticing-the simpler the better for me. If you want features and volume control, get the Dr. Beat-it's expensive. The Dr. Beat is great if you need help subdividing.

3. Brien

Brien Member

Oh yeah.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Wittner-MT50-Metronome?sku=212814

4. KennethC

KennethC Member

Thanks Brien :)

I also saw that there are various models of the Dr Beat series metronomes, but it seems like they can't give the woody click sound. I think the electronic beep could be sorta sucky hehe... I know I sound contradictory since I said I wanted an electronic metronome.

Any electronic metronomes with woody clicks? :)

5. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I used to use a drum machine for that purpose. Keeps you in time but also lets you keep in time (or not) to different rhythms.. Fun to play around the time on some rhythms.

6. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

If you want to pay more these are nice. Different voices and may rhythmic adjustments.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DB90-Dr.-Beat-Metronome?sku=213017

This is also nice as the variations are many
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-Beatlab-Digital-Metronome?sku=210133

It's also good practice to use the clicks on different pulses. For example,to swing- setting the click to 2 and 4 works great and you are responsible for feeling the one and three. Also just using the click on the down beat forces you to begin to feel....the....pulse....and while maintaining the tempo. Gradually increase then back it down.

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I can't really reccomend a unit but i'll share my thoughts. I bought a fairly inexpensive Sabine unit. I bought it for it's ease of use. A nice big dial and simple controls. But I never really looked at it's callibration. The increments are 4 bpm apart on even numbers. Thats fine if you want to write stuff and can move the bpm's around. But matching a song is proving difficult. So all I could really add is that you should consider a unit capable of single bpm increments.