What mic do you use for your amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KendallC, Feb 28, 2012.

What mic do you use?

  1. Shure

  2. Sennheiser

  3. Neunann

  4. AKG

  5. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KendallC

    KendallC Member

    Messages:
    122
    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2011
    Location:
    TN
    I currently use a Shure SM57 on my Vox. Great sound coming out into the house at my church. I really like its sound.

    [​IMG]

    But what do you guys use? Why do you use it? How long?

    Edit: My apologies on misspelling, "Nuemann"
     
  2. sam_sealion

    sam_sealion Member

    Messages:
    22
    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2011
    Location:
    Mumbai, India
  3. your name here

    your name here Supporting Member

    Messages:
    4,462
    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    Location:
    Astoria, OR - USA
    I use an Audix D3 live - I like that it's fairly colorless. For recording, usually a pair of TLM-103's... or sometimes a crappy, taped together SM57 that I have.
     
  4. bobwl

    bobwl Member

    Messages:
    554
    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2010
    Location:
    D/FW, TX Area
    I know I'll probably be laughed at for this, but I use a Digital Reference DRI100. I prefer it over the SM57. It's basically a Super-cardioid SM57 clone that doesn't have some of the harshness the SM57 can have. I got it after reading a ton of reviews and seeing some shootout videos... plus it didn't hurt that it was 3 for $50.
    [​IMG]
     
  5. mhuxtable

    mhuxtable Member

    Messages:
    1,944
    Joined:
    May 10, 2009
    Location:
    NC
    whatever the venue uses, but 95% of the time, its a 57.
     
  6. matthornet

    matthornet Member

    Messages:
    388
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Location:
    KL, Malaysia
    Industry standard, Shure SM57.
     
  7. High Gain Junkie

    High Gain Junkie Member

    Messages:
    330
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    Location:
    Ventura, CA
    SM57, thanks to Best Buy's great prices!
     
  8. RockDC

    RockDC Member

    Messages:
    1,318
    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2008
    Back in the day I stereo mic'd e609 and SM57. Now its the e609 95% of the time and a SM57 the other 5%.
     
  9. Loop-Master

    Loop-Master Member

    Messages:
    3,512
    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2005
  10. kramerlover

    kramerlover Axe Marauder Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    441
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    me too. same mic since 1983...
     
  11. mj07

    mj07 Supporting Member

    Messages:
    2,108
    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2006
    Location:
    Hendersonville, NC
    Sm57, e609, r121
     
  12. jes89

    jes89 Member

    Messages:
    226
    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    sm57 industry standard
     
  13. Hulakatt

    Hulakatt Supporting Member

    Messages:
    11,213
    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2010
    Location:
    Pittsburgh
    e609. I love the damn thing!
     
  14. rushcentrale

    rushcentrale Member

    Messages:
    676
    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    royer 121
    sometimes i add a 57, but it's always at least a royer on the cab.
     
  15. oxtone

    oxtone Member

    Messages:
    4,757
    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2005
    Location:
    Edina, MN
    Engineers love it when I use my e609's! I see them used a lot on late night TV shows, too.
     
  16. The Kid

    The Kid Member

    Messages:
    5,396
    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2008
  17. RocksOff

    RocksOff Member

    Messages:
    7,473
    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
  18. atypicals

    atypicals Member

    Messages:
    259
    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    I like using a mid-side technique with my Royer R121 and Mojave MA200. I play electronic music, so for an awesome lo-fi sound I also really dig a Copperphone.
     
  19. Marrrty

    Marrrty Member

    Messages:
    507
    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Location:
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Usually record mine in stereo with an SM57 just to left of the centre of the speaker, about 1 inch from the grill and a Rode NT1a and few feet back off axis on the left edge of the cone. Gives me a nice balance I feel
     
  20. 62Tele

    62Tele Supporting Member

    Messages:
    5,308
    Joined:
    May 1, 2005

Share This Page