what mini-humbucker do you like in a strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tubes and Strings, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

Gonna switch my single-coil in the bridge position soon... would love to hear recommendations...

2. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

I have the Seymour Duncan JB Jr in my Strat Partscastor. I love this pick up. Very strong, solid and humbucking to the max. Here's a shot or two.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

SD Lil '59........Great mid output pu for thick, heavy distortion and gritty blues. If you want to approach metal then go with the JB Jr. as mentioned above.

4. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

interesting those were the 2 I was thinking of already based on perusing the seymour duncan site...

any other worthy alternatives?

5. baimun

baimun Member

I think it's interesting that at least 4 guitarists in our area (in 4 different bands) have strats with Seymour Duncan Lil'59's in the bridge.... one guy had two identically configured strats.

So I suppose that's 5 votes for from the corridor between chicago and detroit. :D

6. HHB

HHB Member

I used a JBjr for 10 years straight, love em, right now I'm using the GFS lil killer ( what a name LOL ) and am super happy w/ it

7. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

Tell us about that GFS pup... how does it compare tonally to the JB Jr? I love my JB Jr.

8. FastFret

FastFret Member

9. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

i had a lil59 in a tele once--didn't like it. i think mainly b/c it took too much of the teleness away. i've still got it but haven't used it in years.

but i've got a JB Jr in the bridge of my '83 strat and i absolutely LOVE it. i don't have much use for a typical strat bridge pickup anyway, so the JB Jr really helps the versatility of this guitar.

i've got a fralin blender pot installed in the 2nd tone location, so i can roll a little neck tone into the bridge pickup--which helps warm it up a little bit.

cheers,
    wade

10. HHB

HHB Member

it's got a great fat tone , I like the guitar better than the ones I had the JBjr in and it's been a few years so it's hard to say, I really dig the tone I'm getting. I'm using it in a 56 style strat, alder body, huge 1 piece maple neck. sound amazing for rock, very early VH sounding to my ear, I got the medium output model, best 30 bucks I spent this year