1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What model strats have the thinnest necks in a c or d shape?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by martyhk0, Feb 19, 2009.

1. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

I'm looking for a thin neck strat. I already have a bonnie raitt strat, and really like that one. When I say thinnest necks, I am referring to the width of the neck across the fretboard, from low e to high e. Also, the width from the top of the fretboard to the back of the neck.

2. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

thats hit or miss, theyre all unique (though these days they seem more uniform) the thinnest strat neck ive seen/played was on a 1960. I picked it up and thouhght it could snap off, but it was as solid as any other Fender. The body too was HALF as thin as mine (and mine is 'normal'). My buddy, who inherited from his dad, swore it was all original. Ive wondered if Fender has these kinds of deviations documented in their logs? I would love to get a reproduction of that exact neck shape (and body too)

3. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

I wonder if the MIJ is the same?

4. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

I wonder if the MIJ is the same?

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yeah and the Knopfler strat has a true 1 5/8" width. I think it's pretty thin too. But only comes in red.

6. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

ive thought of shaving my neck to get a thinner contour. is that stupid? has anybody tried this?

7. shane88

shane88 Member

there's lotsa variation in vintage fender necks > they were standardised into A B C D with B being the common 1 5/8" nut ....... the narrowest fender nut was apparently the A @ 1 1/2"

so the standard vintage reissues are 1 5/8

8. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I sanded mine and it turned out great. Just go slow and play as you go. You'll kill the resale value so make sure it's a keeper.

9. dazco

dazco Member

I had a '68 RI MIJ and i never measured it, but the width of the board was definately thinner than a typical strat like a '62 RI.

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

They were thinner in the late 80's, early ninties .. luved 'em best then ...

11. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Silver Supporting Member

To me 90% of them are too thin! Give me a '56 V or a nocaster!

12. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

It seems to me that every sub-$1k production strat has a ridiculously miniscule neck profile with the exception of maybe the Robert Cray model. What a great problem to have--I'm 6'6" with mitts to match and I had to spend $1500 on a Thin Skin model just to get a decent sized neck.

Have you tried any of the MIM models? Or the American Standard with the "modern" (read:smaller) string spacing? Both are great guitars as long as you play before you buy. I'd say you could sand those necks down a little but with my experience lately, I'd be afraid you'd start coming through the fret board those necks are so incredibly tiny!

13. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

I play alot of hendrix , srv, etc and use my thumb looped over the fretboard alot. I have small hands and thats why I need a thinner narrower neck. MIM and Amer. std yes, but i an looking for ecven thinner/ or narrower or a little of both. Mainly narrower.

14. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Most all of the Mexico stuff is 42mm at the nut, as opposed to 43 on the Am Std. I don't think you are going to find anything narrower, as the necks need to fit tightly into the body pocket. From my experience, the MIM "Classic" series and the RWorn models will be your best bet. Have fun and try an bunch--there are some great guitars there but you gotta search for them. DON'T buy sight unseen or online.

15. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

My NOS60 has a slim neck. The old 62 reissues had very nice necks. They keep changing the darn things the last time being in 98.