What modeler for church gig?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by squeally dan, Oct 13, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

The other guitar player that I alternate Sundays with gets great sounds out of some kind of POD, and he doesn't have to crate around an amp.

I'm really impressed with it. I've been interested in the Vox Tonelab from clips I have seen on here. OK, here are my questions. What do you guys use for a quiet church gig. Amp or modeler? Which sounds better POD or Tonelab?

2. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

They're both excellent for the stage once you spend some time with them. I use a Pod XT and treat it like an amp with my regular pedalboard and haven't used any of my amps in quite awhile.

3. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

i use an amp. how big is the room that you're playing in? are they using acoustic drums?

4. Structo

Structo Member

When I played at church, I used a POD XTL.

Plugged straight into the board.

Then they changed the three tier system for a Bose PAS system.

I hated it, the guitar went from sounding just ok to terrible.

When I used a distortion patch through the Bose, it sounded like an angry mosquito flying around...

We had electronic drums.

To be fair the Bose system sounded all right for everything else but for dirty guitar tones it didn't sound good.

The Bose system converts everything to digital and I suppose with the modeler it just couldn't sound right no matter how I tweaked it.

5. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I think I know what you are getting at. Its not really a volume issue. I have been using a SF Fender Deluxe reverb w/ pedals. I definately can't crank it but it still sounds pretty good. That amp along with my SUper work grat for my main gig. The thing I have noticed is that with the church gig the other guitar player seems to get good sounds from his modeler. My rig works great for the funk band I'm in, butI have a harder time replicating some of the smooth distortion/delay sounds with my rig. I have distortion pedals and delays, but it seems like the other guy can get closer with the modeler. I'm not giving up amps, but thought the modeler might be a fun alternative with a bunch of tonal options.

6. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

if you can trust your soundguy. a modeler is definitely more convient, and the singers will love you. are you using floor monitors?

7. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

We are using in ears.

Its a nice room with great PA. Probably holds 1000.

8. gre1982

gre1982 Member

Fractal Audio Axe Fx Ultra is an amazing route for non-amp related use.

9. pitner

pitner Member

For my lead guitar gig at church I use a small 20 watt 1959 Guild amp with a pedalboard and tube reverb unit. Its hard to get the volume where its loud enough for the amp to open up and quiet enough for that type of a setting. We recently caged our drummer and that brought our stage volume down to where the electric is the loudest on stage. I'll be next!!!! Hope I can work through it without losing my mind. Church playing is all I ever do and every church has a different take on sound levels. Its a dance between leading the group and the group (the church) also singing along. The dynamics of that creates a different band experience than playing a concert would have. It's hard to get right. It can be done and I have experienced many great worship times playing electric guitar but never used a non amp setup to do it.

10. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

11. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

12. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

How much does the Axe-Fx run? THis is sorta a second rig. NOt giving up on amps. In other words, I can't spend too much.

Is the Axe-fx tonally better than the others?

13. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

The Axe-FX is expensive in comparison to the Line6 stuff. Brand new, the least expensive model is $1500. You also need a rack case, and some sort of foot controller so add about $200-300 to that total. Finally, it does better going to a flat power amp so I don't know that you're going to love it through your tube amp unless you have an effects loop to bypass your preamp.

The Axe-FX definitely sounds better than a POD but given your application and restrictions, I don't think it would be the right call unless you wanted to totally redo your rig. A floorboard version of the POD or Vox tech would probably do fine for you at $500 or less brand new. Again, not knocking the AxeFX because I've had it and the sims are pretty convincing and of nice fidelity, but it's rack gear and more of a commitment to learn and tweak than what you have now. For that matter, the tweaking will be there with the POD and Vox too.

14. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thanks for the info. The POD or Tonelab are going to be my price range. Really looking for a used one at that. Is there a clear cut winner between the VOX or POD?

15. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I don't play in Church but if I did I'd be looking at The Nova System from TC Electronics.

16. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I should put a disclaimer in there that I'm not a church player either, but I appreciate the needs of volume control as I never seem to play in bands or venues that let me open up my amp like many here can.

To your question, I've had a few Vox Valetronix amps (the original 60W model and the newer 15W practice model) along with the Line 6 Flextone III and a few versions of the POD including the XTL. I still have the Toneport. My impression is that the Vox does British tones the best and has a slightly better feel to it. I think it's also better in the clean-to-mean range. The Line6 stuff sounds better if you're playing heavier distortion. From an interface/software perspective, I think the Line6 has the edge. What I can't tell you though is how the floorboard version of the Vox Tonelab compares. I think most of what I said still applies but maybe someone else can chime in.

Hope this helps...

17. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I've been using one at church for over 2.5 years.

It's taken me almost that long to be satisfied with my programming. LOL.

I get lots of complements on the tones.

My take is that it sounds 10% less real than a real amp, but is 20% more versatile than my modest pedal-based setup (see below).

On balance, I've been very happy with it.

Make sure you wipe the factory patches - they blow chunks.

18. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

The Vox stuff does hit the AC sounds better (imagine that), but if you are looking for Strat/Marshall type tones, I'd do the POD X3 Live instead.

Just ask Lincoln Brewster. Or better yet, download his patches. He uses a combo or a half stack for a stage monitor, but FOH and recordings are mostly POD.

Straight POD - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meWZRR3HhGY
    His stuff - http://www.lincolnbrewster.com/extras.php

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  19. Bantha

Bantha Member

Lincoln Brewster uses a POD X3 Live at his live shows. It is a great device for the $$.

20. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Is there a special modeler for church gigs?
    Oh, Jesus...