What modern day Marshall amp is closest to the JTM-45?

adagosto

Hi.

I cannot afford a $2,000 head these days, so which Marshall head is closest to that vintage JTM-45 kinda mid-gain vibe? I'm not very familiar with the Marshall amps after 800 and 900 (which I don't care as much for). I'd really like to find that JTM-45 sound in a more cost effective head even if that means its not completely perfect.

What would you suggest I look at?

Thanks!!

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
JTm45 reissue? If you want to stay 'marshall' branded. Used can be had sub 1K.

If you want real accurate JTM45 I'd look for a used Germino Classic 45 or Metropolous GPM45...or Park or Wallace versions as well. Used should be available sub 2K.
But if brand specific Marshall...the reissue is fine. Not super accurate but it's in the ballpark.

adagosto

Hello,

I am totally fine not having the Marshall name on it. I really want the sound, so if the Avatar is the answer, then BOOM!! That's what I'm looking for. As for the Marshall name goes, there are SO MANY different Marshall amps and I get confused as to what's what and who's who's in the Marshall world.

00JETT

Marshall vintage modern is based pretty heavily on a jtm platform. They can be had used for pretty cheap too I think.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Marshall vintage modern is based pretty heavily on a jtm platform. They can be had used for pretty cheap too I think.
I just picked up a 100 watt Vintage Modern head from a forum member here for 550… It's a pretty cool amp// in the LDR setting, it's basically a JTM45/100, but it has a good FX loop, good master volume circuit and ok built in reverb..

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Tyler Amps does a JTM45 clone with a master volume and calls it JT46.
http://tyleramps.com/jt46

In combo form it will run you about $1600
http://musiccitypickers.com/collect...ampsjt46bluesbreakercombotubeamp1x12sku4354ck

The head is cheaper. $1300

I have a head with optional bypassable loop ($140) and KT66 tubes. It can take a variety of different tubes.

I'm very happy with the amp for the price I paid. Would I love a Metropolous GPM45... heck yeah, but $3300 is a far cry from $1450 I paid and it gets the job done for my needs.

Here's one for sale used on Reverb (no affiliation) that I think was owned by another TGP member who sold it to get another Tyler.
https://reverb.com/item/1623242-tyl...MK3erauga_gB7XntiTcAayw9xw-cacsZDIaAjKJ8P8HAQ

The JT46 is mostly a straight up clone with the added convenience of a master volume that lets you knock off a few decibels, but it will not get you the same cranked tone at bedroom level. The loop isn't as good a the Metro or Friedman loop, but it does the job and it's bypassable. The real benefit of buying from John (Tyler amps), is that his cabinet builder does amazing work. You can get customized cabinets at reasonable prices that are beautiful pieces you can put in your living room.

I've not tried any other clones so I can't compare, but I'm sure most builders in this price range will get reasonably close. Even the reissues don't sound identical. Even the originals don't sound identical. If you want perfection look to Germino or Metropolous, but those are out of your stated price range.

Good luck

cugel

Unless the amp is tube rectified and running kt66s (or maybe 6l6s) you wont get the real JTM45 tone. I would get a clone. For correct specs look for one built using a metro kit from a knowledgeable builder and you should be able to score it for less than a grand. My own clone has a ss/tube rectifier switch and both channels use a single volume pot for simplicity. A ppimv is useful to and/or an attenuator.

lowpaygigs

If you can get past the Marshall name not being on it I'd highly recommend checking out the Avatar 45. It's a tweaked version of the JTM 45 handwired in the USA. I have one and it really does the Marshall vintage tone really nice.

http://avatarspeakers.com/product/45w-head/

View media item 10636
Sir, may I ask about a question about the Avatar? Does it have a master volume? What is the volume knob tamper like? Is it explosively loud from the jump off? I read good things about that builder, but I need a responsive volume control for smaller pub gigs.

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Sir, may I ask about a question about the Avatar? Does it have a master volume? What is the volume knob tamper like? Is it explosively loud from the jump off? I read good things about that builder, but I need a responsive volume control for smaller pub gigs.
Yes it has a ppimv (post phase inverter master volume) that's got to be one of the best I've ever used. Really awesome tones at pretty much any volume and the taper of the mv is very gradual. I can't say enough good things about this amp!

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
JTm45 reissue? If you want to stay 'marshall' branded. Used can be had sub 1K.

If you want real accurate JTM45 I'd look for a used Germino Classic 45 or Metropolous GPM45...or Park or Wallace versions as well. Used should be available sub 2K.
But if brand specific Marshall...the reissue is fine. Not super accurate but it's in the ballpark.
+1. I love my JTM45RI and my BBRI.

Trending Topics