What mods should I do to this wah pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WienerDog, Feb 3, 2008.

1. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

I picked up what appears to be a very early Jim Dunlop Crybaby. It does not have a power jack and, more importantly, appears to have the coveted "stack of dimes" inductor.

I'm already planning to convert to true bypass and swap the 68k input resistor with a 47k for more effect volume. I would also like to add a DC jack, but I'll bet it's a bear trying to drill through these things!!

Any good mod ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. r080

r080 Member

I would also replace the 33k Q resistor with a 100K trimpot.

It isn't that difficult to drill into; it is a fairly soft die cast metal.

3. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

I have one of these. First, LISTEN to it to see if it really needs true bypass. Mine didn't kill the tone enough for me to care or notice, so I left it alone. Don't mod it just because everyone on the internet says to.
    With that said, I still modded mine and kept the mods that I liked. Basically, I changed the 0.01uF caps to the same value, but using Polystyrene caps which ended up brightening up the sweep a little. I tried switching the 0.22uF caps with some extra Tropical fish caps that I had to see if it would sound different (I didn't think it would so I didn't even cut the ends of the leads when I initially soldered). It actually did sound a little better so I kept it.
    The Q resistor sounded fine to me at 33k so I left it. The Q resistor is not so easy to hear for some, so a 100k pot may or may not present a perceptible change to you. The input resistor remains at 68k, and the mid resistor at 1.5k. I did want a hair more bass, so I changed the 470 resistor to a 430. That gave it a slightly more boxy/woofy quality. I may try switchable sweep caps, maybe to switch between 0.01uF and 0.0133uF or 0.015uF.
    So, other than the 470 to 430, and the type of caps, the other values are the same.
    One other thing that helped was to lengthen the physical sweep of the wah - instead of the full sized rubber grommets on the heel and toe, I have the medium sized grommets.
    Have fun with this one, and appreciate it for what it is.

4. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

I'm curious...what do these go for with the 'stack of dimes' inductor? A local shop has one for $75, and I was tempted, but resisted...didn't even play it.

5. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

If you haven't played one, the stock one does a perfect Tom Morello wah sound, whether you want that or not.

By the way WeinerDog, whatever you do, try to keep that original pot. The Clarostat/AB EJ Hotpotz I really allows that wah to keep it's character. I switched it to a Hotpotz II (out of necessity) and it just didn't allow it to open up as much in the middle of the sweep. The HPII seems to open up more towards the toe.