What modulation pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mojoman, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Okay guys,
    I have always been a OD and fuzz nut, but never really gotten into the modulation effects, but thats all about to change. I mean what kind of gear whore would I be?
    So, what should be my first purchase? Vibe, phaser, Trem, chorus, etc.
    Also what brand?
    I play ALL kinds of music, but blues based rock like the Black Crowes would be #1, but I play straight blues, country, heavy rock and metal too.
    So throw me some suggestions and get my GAS going!

2. jeak

jeak Member

I guess for your favored styles, I'd probably start with a phaser or a vibe. Or maybe a flanger. I love phasing. Not wild about vibes. What's your price range? For getting your feet wet, there's always the little Guyatone Micro (I think it's the cheapest analog phaser). Then there's the classic MXR Phase 90 or the EHX Small Stone. After that, outer space is the limit. If you do any pop, a good chorus is pretty much required. Lots to choose from. I like the TC chorus-flanger.

3. Antero

Antero Member

Heck, listen to how you play and think what you'd want to do with that.

I love tremolo - I play mostly chords and riffs, and it's great spice without dominating the sound.

4. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

phase 90 is a great first pedal because you can get the big jet plane sounds... plus the wobbly leslie or univibe type of sound

5. iualum

iualum Member

Take a gander at the Subdecay Quasar. A whole bunch of phaser/vibe sounds in that box.

6. jeak

jeak Member

Another idea, for the short term, is to get a cheap multi fx unit like a DigiTech RP50. These things have just about every type of effect in them, so you would get a taste of what each one does. They aren't the best quality of each effect, but for getting your feet wet, they'll give you an overview. And it would be much cheaper ($50-$100) than buying a bunch of individual pedals just trying to figure out what you want.

7. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

You can't go wrong with an Analogman Clone Chorus.

8. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I've become a total trem junky in the last few months. A subtle trem really makes rhythm parts interesting and spacious, a little deeper you can sound almost like a B3, go nuts and it's cool for the right leads on the right tunes.

The Austone Vibro-Stomp is a bit spendy, but it toggles between a very nice trem and a vibrato (not a uni-vibe type 'vibe' - this is the actual pitch variation type vibrato), as an added bonus will allow you to daisy chain other pedals off it.

Just my $0.02...

9. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

This is a great site. Thank you all so much. KmCyPreSs - thanks for all the Crowes knowledge too. I was leaning towards a Vibe, but I will let you all know which way I go. Thanks again.