What movie did you watch recently

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DryBones, Feb 16, 2017.

1. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Outpost -
    For this type of movie, it was quite good...very good.
    Typical i suppose, the first 70% of the film is rather good and well done...good acting, good cine.
    But then, sooner or later the Zombies/Monsters have to be introduced. Here again however, in this movie, that is handled Very Well. Nothing too stupid or over the top gory. It is all rather subdued.
    For Whatever My Opinion Is Worth, i am not educated in cinema..... The movie was well scripted and directed.
    I have seen MUCH Worse efforts in this genre. :)

www.amazon.com/Outpost-Ray-Stevenson/dp/B001221DUQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541738003&sr=8-3&keywords=outpost+movie&dpID=515xOgjAoKL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

She looks more like her Dad than Melanie. Decent actress though

3. jkendrick

jkendrick Supporting Member

That’s the weirdest checklist I’ve ever read.

Timboguitar likes this.
  4. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

I had not heard of The Apu Trilogy until the Criterion release was announced and it does look terrific. And I absolutely love the music in the films. Watched The Mirror, 1975 Russia, last night and I had totally forgot that I had seen that years as a rental from Netflix. I like the film very much and it was well worth the repeated viewing, but I need to get through my Filmstruck watchlist before they pull the plug.

A-Bone and cratz2 like this.
  5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Wife and I watched Good Will Hunting. That was a good film. Funny I never saw it before.

Affleck probably the reason. Even in this film his Bos accent was laughable, but his acting wasn't that bad. Williams was fantastic.

cratz2 likes this.
  6. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Hang 'Em High.

Not my favorite Clint movie, sort of Clint’s protoytpe version of Dirty Harry, but what a great cast of character actors in the supporting roles.

7. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Saw the Jumanji remake last night. It was great!

ShredSquatch likes this.
  8. Timboguitar

Timboguitar Member

Which is probably why they decided to go ahead and fund it. Did you see it? It did, in fact, have talking mutant animals...

9. zimbo

zimbo Supporting Member

Downsizing. What was that movie about? Don't try and go there.

Nevets likes this.
  10. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

You could definitely do worse than having a score by Ravi Shankar.

Don P. likes this.
  11. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

It's true that the scenes from each film can get loose in my memory as the look is so similar...but I have no trouble taking Fail-Safe seriously. I think that growing up in a time where I was SURE I would die in a nuclear war (as a kid) has something to do with the impact it has on me.

Phila67 likes this.
  12. rhinocaster

Bram Stoker's Dracula....I honestly cannot believe that this is a Coppola offering. Poor casting, bad acting, inconsistent mood and set design, horrible editing....no redeeming qualities in this stinker.

The Hammer Dracula films are better than this..

A-Bone likes this.
  13. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

As a straight film it's pretty nuts, but as a postmodern metatextual offering concerning the early history of cinema itself, it's kind of amazing. All those practical and in camera effects! It's relationship to shadows and light! Those irises and their relationship to the optic and visuality! The operatic rendering and production design! I watched it again a couple of years ago and it felt really Coppola-esque this time. It has resonances with his 70s films, just with gothic elements mixed in with the opera. I think its melodramatic excess suits the material.

Sure Keanu Reeves' accent is bad (and he's always wooden), but for one thing I really like the kind of naked paean to female desire, while it is shown being mishandled by men who simply don't, and probably can't, understand it, that resides at the film's heart.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Echoplexi, ethandt and JWDubois like this.
  14. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I don't know, a lot of really bad rubber bats in some of them! :)

This! Some of the shadow effects--like Dracula in battle in the beginning were really well done. I saw it with my wife when we were dating on Halloween so it has nostalgia value for me too.

rhinocaster and A-Bone like this.
  15. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

No film with Tom Waits in it is poorly cast.

16. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I saw Fail-Safe before Dr. Strangelove as a kid, so I always thought the latter was a spoof on the former! It was only later that I learned they were parallel movies. I watched it recently too on TCM and I think it still holds up today and with internet hacking perhaps even more possible--which is sobering to think about. I wonder how accurate the depictions of Noraad and the protocols were--was that all thought up or was it based on real procedures (which would have been classified)? The "big board" showing the aircraft in real time, the codes in the B-58s etc. I know that in the late 50s/early 60s an air controller could point a light gun on his radar screen and it would appear on the radar of the intercept aircraft he was directing. So the technology/protocols seemed plausible (to me anyway).

rhinocaster likes this.
  17. ethandt

ethandt Member

This post makes me so happy lol. The movie IS absolutely nuts, and on the surface easy to dismiss. I love it though. I think you put it perfectly by saying "The melodramatic excess suits the material". Gary Oldman is great, and the tone and art direction are top notch as well.

Phila67 and A-Bone like this.
  18. rhinocaster

I don’t know man....it sucked hard....:D

A-Bone likes this.
  19. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

i'm more inclined to agree but not hard just kinda sucked. i liked the makeup fx but hated much of the romance plot. Dracula in daylight also was a big no no in my book. Hammer Dracula films with Chris Lee are the best :dude

rhinocaster likes this.
  20. rhinocaster

I’m all seriousness @A-Bone, I’ll watch again soon with your thoughts in mind.

Maybe I’ve approached it wrong....

ethandt and A-Bone like this.