What movie did you watch recently

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DryBones, Feb 16, 2017.

1. zimbo

zimbo Supporting Member

Doctor Sleep. Great. I haven't seen a good horror movie in years. This one is pretty good although the material is not all original The Shining). The lady in the hat was badass.

Echoplexi and Nevets like this.
  2. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

Home of Les Paul, Lambeau Field , Harley Davidson
    Annihilation. The bit with the human/bear thing is creepy as hell.

Echoplexi, b_goatman and cratz2 like this.
  3. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Long flight earlier this week so caught a few in one sitting:
    Joker - mixed feelings about it
    Parasite - refreshingly good
    Gemini Man - pretty bad IMO

A-Bone likes this.
  4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

It was really bad. I expected it wouldn't be good (Michael Bay, Ang Lee, and Will Smith? This is the kind of pairing that only sounds exciting to Hollywood executives), but was still kind of unprepared for how not good it was. There's something about the multiple ages of Smith that's interesting, but maybe just in a larger conversation with other recent instances of digital de-aging (from Rogue One to The Irishman).

5. spunky

spunky Member

Just finished watching Knives Out...and even though I figured out who it was, shortly into the film, there were still some surprises, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought Daniel Craig's performance was terrific, although there were a few hammed up moments in there....and I thought the supporting cast did a great job as well. Good film.

eclecticsynergy and ckfoxtrot like this.
  6. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

Watched the 1945 film “Incendiary Blonde” starring Betty Hutton. It’s supposedly a biographical movie about Texas Guinan, a famous woman from the roaring 20s who was a singer, actress, and producer. Although I enjoyed the movie it was only slightly similar to her real life. I mean everything, from the time she got started in show business to how she died is so far from the truth they may as well just have done the movie about a fictional character.

A-Bone likes this.
  7. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Indeed. I also found the dialog to be particularly rough within that overall badness.

A-Bone likes this.
  8. A-Bone

That reminds me of another "interesting" creative involved in the film: David Benioff, who was one of the film's writers.

Redub likes this.
  9. JamesSp

JamesSp Member

10. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

THE PYRAMID. interesting movie that although one would think was a mummy movies isn't. instead we delve a little further into
    Egyptian mythology for a different kind of "monster". well done a very creepy

Echoplexi and A-Bone like this.
  11. A-Bone

Because @aynirar will want to know: are there any ramps in it?

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  12. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

hmmm... not sure what you mean. tunnels and mazes with traps but can't recall any ramps.

A-Bone likes this.
  13. A-Bone

Ah, so nothing about the construction of pyramids.

14. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

oh well that got discussed a little but this Pyramid was like no other so of course the construction methods were a mystery. how it got made wasn't really a focus at all. what it was for was the movie and the answer was interesting for sure

A-Bone likes this.
  15. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I dialed up Dirty Harry on Netflix last night which is vintage 1971 and took note of how much different production was then than now. For instance.

Some of the lines and dialogue are so unreal they're actually laughable. Scenes feel much more "acted out" and much less naturally occurring in context and how they were filmed.

I'd also forgotten how much less PC we were with language and derogatory terms for races back then. A racist stereotype wasn't taken as seriously. It was all just part of the act.

Looking at all of that old "Detroit Iron" again makes me chuckle thinking how we all drove those POS because it was the only choice we had. Imports had not yet arrived in the scene.

It's kind of fun to go back in time and compare the top cop shows or movies of that era to how this stuff is depicted today. But despite Dirty Harry being somewhat more crude in comparison it's still a Top Dog old flick for me.

frankg11 likes this.
  16. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps just a case of too much talent? Seems to happen every now & again w/ movies. I’m not much of a Will Smith fan but he’s been on a (mostly) hot steak for quite some time now, in terms of the movies he choose to do & their likenesses of doing well @ the box office.

A-Bone likes this.
  17. A-Bone

Too much talent? I don't think that's it. It struck me as a fundamentally misguided collaboration (particularly Bruckheimer and Lee). While I love 25th Hour, I've been otherwise generally unimpressed with Benioff as a writer. Also, although Smith is certainly a big movie star, he's always been a limited actor -- mostly due to his observable insecurity related to how he comes across. And this film, despite its generic qualities, demanded more acting than he was able or willing to deliver. He seemed to only have two speeds in the film: charming or moody, and he split them with the former going to the older and the latter to the younger versions.

Redub likes this.
  18. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

Well.... if you want to take the gloves off then let just put it right out there: Will Smith blows. Despite having been in a couple dozen (?) movies over the last 30+ years Will is still not, in any way shape or form, convincing on screen.

I was pointing out that despite Smith’s very limited acting abilities he remains a huge draw @ the box office. No matter that many others who frequent this thread also feel WS’ a lightweight his movies continue to kill it @ the box office, which suggests (to me anyway) there’s still many, many people across the globe who’re happy to pay to see him do his thing on the silver screen.

A-Bone likes this.
  19. A-Bone

He's a big movie star.

Redub likes this.
  20. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I suppose I was due; just went thru three clunkers:

- The Last Black Man in San Fransisco: Really didn't like this film, it was trying. so. hard. to. be. cool. and. hip. every. second that I couldn't stand it and killed it after 15 minutes. Big swing and a miss.

- American Dreamer: Suffered from direction that didn't bring me into the story whatsoever, again killed it after 15 minutes.

- Army of Shadows: Supposed to be a masterpiece but I found it dated and meandering.