• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What muff clones are based on the Ram's Head Muff?

thrashmetl

So I finally got my Hoof V.2 (based on the green russian) in yesterday. I didn't have much time to mess with it last night but in the little time I did have I would say I was somewhat disappointed. I had some more time earlier today in a large room and was still disappointed, I couldn't really dial it in. I got some more time later today, but this time I pulled out my BYOC Ram's Head Beaver to compare them side by side.

After about an hour of going back and forth between the two, I decided I just like the Ram's Head better. I just like the clarity it has, the way it breaks up, and also the dirtier way it breaks up. The drawback of the BYOC though is that it isn't steady. While you can dial in one awesome setting, it you roll off the fuzz, the treble comes off too and when you turn up the tone to compensate, it thins out.

Off the top of my head the only other Ram's head clones I can think of are the Ronsound Hairpie '75 and the D*A*M Ram Head. I'm guessing the Ram Head is way out of my price range and a bit hard to find as well, so tell me about the Ronsound.

So what other Ram's Head clones are out there, particularly ones with a little extra mids or a mids switch? Do any of them have a little more gain too? I like kind of a slightly raspy or dirty breakup.

P.S.: My liking the Ram's Head better than the Hoof is definitely just personal preference as I did a blind test and my brother liked the Hoof better.

puddinstone

Silver Supporting Member
I had a ram's head for a minute... I know what you mean. They are different then the stereo-typical muff tone. I loved mine, but...alas- it was worth too much at the time for me to hang on to it so I sold it.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
The new Hoof version from EQD has far too many differences from EHX designs to be considered a clone of any specific muff version in any way other than the type of circuit. Ronsound makes a good ramhead clone but I dont think there are many others. The Skreddys are based on sounds made with ram heads but the ? Lady and Ernie dont have the intense scoop of the Ram Head.

imguitardan

Not to hijack the thread but can any one point me to a resource that explains the differences between the Muffs? I have no idea what characterizes a Ram's head vs. a Triangle vs. a Pi etc, etc.

LowWatt

the ernie is actually a mod'd triangle muff.
I'd double check that : http://www.skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_ernie.htm

Modeled sonically on the beloved 'lamb's head' edition of vintage fuzz boxes, the Ernie is a 4-silicon-transistor distortion/fuzz/sustain stompbox. The Ernie's gritty, girthy tone is optimized using a variety of the finest available new components and sweet-sounding new-old-stock parts. Modern features include small size, DC adapter jack, LED on/off indicator, and true bypass switching.

TheLemon

the ernie is actually a mod'd triangle muff.
The Ernie is a deffinately a tweaked rams head with the input cap, coupling cap between the 2nd and 3rd stages, and the caps in the feedback loops in series with the diodes being almost identical (provided by Marc himself at another forum).

geetarman

Gold Supporting Member
Foxey is triangle and frigging awesome.
Are you sure? It's been a while but I recall Michael telling me it was based on the Ram's Head which would make sense because the Guild Foxey Lady three knob version 4 from which the name came is based on a 1974 EH Ram's Head Muff.

LowWatt

Are you sure? It's been a while but I recall Michael telling me it was based on the Ram's Head which would make sense because the Guild Foxey Lady three knob version 4 from which the name came is based on a 1974 EH Ram's Head Muff.
I could be wrong there. I'm going by what I always heard, but I hadn't talked to Michael direct about it.

LowWatt

How much do Ernie's usually go for when they come up on here used?
You might be able to stil get one new. Marc has been offering them again for the last few months but not posting it on his site because he only has a limited number of the right parts to make them. Send him an email.

Trending Topics