1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

What music do you focus on making and why?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mcgraham, May 24, 2011.

1. mcgraham

mcgraham Member

I'm at something of a cross-roads in my musical development. I am a bassist, guitarist and vocalist, and play out a lot with different people because I am able to handle a number of diverse genres. I'm getting to the stage now where I am really quite dissatisfied with just being a sideman, and want to take control of my own project or be part of a joint project.... BUT.... my diverse interests (both in terms of the instruments I play and my eclectic/wide-ranging musical taste) means I don't know which direction to go in. I could go into more detail, but I'd like to see what you guys think...

What music do you focus on making and why? Particularly those that do/have done a variety of different styles, what projects did you start up or join and why? What made you decide that was the direction you wanted to go in?

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

For originals, you just go where the music takes you.

A specific group of people will tend to create a specific type of music.

For better or worse, it's difficult to force it into something else.

If you're part of it, you'll help shape it...

3. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

when it comes to originals, i go wherever the music takes me...

as cliched as it sounds, it's true.

right now, my style is angular chords, strong downbeats or atmospheric textures, so that's where i go...

you don't have to bog yourself down to one style, but don't be so varied that you can do a bunch of genres decently but never do one well

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

It boils down to finding the right people to play with. Things like how much fun the music is, how cool they are to hang with, chemistry on stage, on the same page wrt. goals and commitment. The musical genre is much less important to me, as long as the band can groove and there is something to sink my teeth into musically.

I also totally agree with the posters above where you just go where it takes you with original music.

This is the opposite if the goal is putting together a moneymaking band.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  5. germs

germs Member

i tend to follow the songwriter in my band - the singer.

the rest of the band helps flesh out ideas and turn them into something as...marketable...as possible. that reads a little strange, i'll admit. but that's what the originals scene boils down to: be as popular and appealing as possible, while retaining as much personal integrity as you care to.

honestly - i have no regrets about doing things the way we've done them. played a bunch of shows i wouldn't have otherwise, met a bunch of cool people, rubbed elbows, etc.