What musician's clinics have you attended & name something you learned from 'em!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lucidology, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

in truth, there were so many in my case .. I'll let you go first... :)

I do remember Holdsworth getting annoyed, even irritated, with those who were asking where and when he used the 'melodic minor' scale...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. lhallam

lhallam Member

Only been to one. I learned that Jennifer Batten is badass.

3. +NRG

+NRG Member

Tony MacAlpine, Vinnie Moore and Reb Beach come to mind. All very inspiring and great to watch up close and personal!

monty and Lucidology like this.
  4. Machew

Machew Member

I have never even heard of one of these in my area. Sounds fun though.

Lucidology likes this.
  5. HoneyNut

HoneyNut Member

Kiko Lourieo @ Long & Mcquade. I don't remember the lessons as much as remembering how well he delivers, his presence over the stage, and he was plugged into a 100w Marshall, and really could hear how crisp his playing is upclose. He plays for Megadeth currently, but with his catalogue, he deserves so much more musical appreciation.

monty, +NRG, willyboy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

The sun of Daytona Beach ( formerly NE Ohio )
    Tommy Tedesco. How to play a lute - tune it like a guitar The man was brilliant!! This 35 years ago when I saw him.

7. Grun

Grun Member

Steve Morse. Master of the guitar volume control pot. First time seeing a pro play up close. He would crank it up for his lick and then crank it right back down to 0. I've noticed other top players doing the same since, but Steve was the first. Awfully nice guy too..

8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Clint Strong, a jazz guy who was playing for Merle Haggard at the time. He'd studied with Joe Settlemyers, Bob Wills' last guitar player with the Texas Playboys. I learned about chord substitution for the first time. 1980s

Johnny Hiland NGW - nicest guy you will ever meet and could play just about anything. Stayed after and signed autographs and talked until everyone was done.

Jimmy Herring NGW - chops for days and an incredibly humble and nice guy. Brought Otiel wit'im.

Pat Martino NGW - learned about how he converts almost everything to minor for lines.

Sco NGW - learned he uses everything but the kitchen sink in his approach.

Pat Metheny NGW - learned he's the badest man on the planet. I've never seen anyone come close. Maybe Benson

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Have a fusion Brazilian groove based CD by Kiko ...
    & there is no doubt he is a magnificently talented guitarist... Didn't know he is known as a primarily heavyweight rocker ... !!

+NRG and HoneyNut like this.
  10. HoneyNut

HoneyNut Member

Him and his former band, Angra, seem to be very revered in Brazil. I knew of them, but didn't know of their footprint there.

11. Gig Young

Gig Young It's not about the clown Silver Supporting Member

How is Clint Strong doing?
    Still playing? I know he went through a lot of rough time thru the years.

12. chill

chill Member

I attended a Wynton Marsalis clinic in 88 or 89 and someone asked him about the beef between him and Miles Davis. Wynton said that Miles had challenged him to a fist fight. Wynton laughed and said that he didn't want to beat up an old man.

13. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Good question.

I heard he was in prison for drugs a few years back then popped back up in the DFW area. Last I heard he was giving lessons and playing some around there. I haven't run across his name in a couple of years.

Gig Young likes this.
  14. deeohgee

deeohgee Member

I attended a Frank Gambale clinic as a part of a music course I was studying.
    What I learned was that I wanted to never listen to shredding or sweep picking ever again.

shadowbox, homeunit, ryentzer and 8 others like this.
  15. Gig Young

Gig Young It's not about the clown Silver Supporting Member

Haha!
    Yes can be a bit too busy for sure.

shadowbox and deeohgee like this.
  16. eldorado2001

eldorado2001 Member

The local shops have hosted clinics by Andy Timmons (Mesa), Larry Mitchell (PRS), Chuck Yamek (Gibson), MAB (Dean) and Greg Koch. Koch was demonstrating the Fender VG Strat and Supersonic amp, and among other things he demonstrated how easy it is to adjust a Fender truss rod. I also learned there were a lot of great tones in that amp.

Lucidology, monty and Gig Young like this.
  17. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I've never had the pleasure of attending a guitar clinic thanks to my own forgetfulness. I've missed a few notable ones in my area over the years, namely Rik Emmett, Doyle Dykes, Jennifer Batten, Steve Piticco, Ian Thornley, Greg Koch, Pete Thorn...:bkw

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    DV52, Lucidology and monty like this.
  18. Tune-O-Matic

Tune-O-Matic Member

I learned a little Hawaiian Slack Key guitar while on vacation in Kauai a couple of years ago.

I noticed when we were checking in to the hotel that there were a lot of people walking around with guitar and (especially) ukulele cases. I asked the clerk what was going on and he told me it was a week long Hawaiian music clinic and as a guest I could sit in on the classes if I wanted.

19. bolaman

bolaman Member

When I was at Leeds College of Music in the early 1970's, the UK Musicians Union used to hold educational 'Rock Workshops' around the country featuring bands of well known players or session musicians and I attended one where the band was Soft Machine, featuring Holdsworth. The format was, the band played a set and there was then an interval where there was an opportunity to ask questions. In the closing few bars of the piece they played before the interval, Holdsworth played an impressive cadenza which left my jaw on the floor and I gingerly approached him to enquire what scale he was using. Instead of getting an insight into the complexity of his harmonic knowledge, he looked at me with an air of indifference and said - " I haven't got a clue mate" !!!

20. monty

monty Member

Drummer Steve Ferrone. Went with my bassist. Learned a ton about groove from the man!

Snottyboy, Lucidology and derekd like this.