What new pickups for Historic VOS SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dashface, May 12, 2015.

1. Dashface

Dashface Member

A couple of weeks ago I got a Historic VOS 62RI SG.

I'm in a very popular local cover band that plays the big tourist traps - three hour shows in packed houses with lots of variety in the tunes. It is a lot of fun, and we do it a lot and we've been doing it a while (last weekend was my 205th and 206th shows with them in the last 2 years).

This of course means I need a guitar that's pretty versatile and fun to play. I have a good number of nice guitars, and usually play a Historic R4 BB... But since I've bought the SG I've been enjoying its much lower weight. It's been saving my back, big time.

Anyway, I've done four shows with it so far and the pickups just aren't inspiring me. They are a Burstbucker 1 & 2 set, which is stock for this particular issue of this version of this guitar. They seem to be really mid-heavy and not very clear. Muffled.

I think I am spoiled because I recently put a Wizz Pickups PAF in my main Les Paul Standard and it's amazing. Clear, open, articulate - but also mean!

So... What pickups should I be putting in this SG? How do I make it sound great - and classic?

2. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

Is that the one with Grovers from Guitar Center? I had one for a while. I have Throbak PAFs in my current SG.

3. darkinners

darkinners Member

If you like trebly(clarity) tone and less mid with classic sound.

You can either try
    1. Duncan Antiquity humbucker
    2. BKP The Mules(low output) or VHII(meaner sound)
    3. Duncan Pearly Gates or '59s (cheaper options)

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Try '57 classics with a coil tapped with pull pots... And lower the neck pickup to the height of the pickup rings... Raise the poles crews about one and a half turns. Lots and lots of options... This is just one.

5. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

"Classic" for an SG would usually be T-tops. They would also sound like the opposite of how you describe the BB's, which I've also tried in my SG and wasn't crazy about.

I'd suggest looking for something with an A5 magnet. I've found they work best with in my SG's. In a lower wind, they'll give you more articulation, bite, and more tighter low end. So far, the most classic SG sound (as I've always imagined it) has come from a 57 classic measuring 7.8k with a short, roughcast A5 magnet in the bridge. That's kinda like a slightly hotter T-top.

6. Dashface

Dashface Member

I keep hearing good things about the WCR Crossroads set... I'm a huge fan of Bareknuckle pickups, so perhaps something from them.

7. 71strat

71strat Member

Tom Holmes are my favorites, but for readily available.

I would get the Low Wind Alnico ll Throbaks. SLE 101 MXV.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  8. hhawkins

hhawkins Member

PG Blues Set by Bare Knuckle Pickups

9. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 Member

I have one of those as well and didn't really like the stock pickups. I put Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers in and really like them

10. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

I'm in a similar position. I'm thinking of giving the Suhr Thornbuckers a go.

11. hardys

hardys Member

Holmes in my 335 & R0. I'm done!

12. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

I had an Historic VOS '61 whose stock pup's I replaced with Wolfetone Dr. Vintage. AMAZING tone!

13. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I'll second the BK Mules suggestion but also will suggest the
    '59 Clones from Mojotone.

14. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop sells a set of pickups called the BFG set. These are the same pickups they make for Billy Gibbons. They are like Antiquities but with a little extra kick. After trying several sets of expensive replacement pickups in my R9 over the 8 years I've owned it the BFGs are the ones that finally made that guitar sound perfect. If you want something that sounds classic like a great old PAF you should give them a try.

15. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I was wondering too..I stumbled on one and still have the Burstbuckers in it..following (nice SG BTY) I think they made them around 2006-2007?

16. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I love my Lollar Imperials in my #1 SG. I am waiting on Thornbuckers to be delivered.

17. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Mine has Wizz PAFs. Generic pickup recommendations like "Antiquities" or "Lollars" seem meaningless to me because what works in one guitar may not in another.

If you're going to buy new from a boutique winder (like I do) pick one with a good reputation - many are listed in this thread, or just Google "best PAF." Call/email the winder, tell him what your preferences are and what you don't like about your current pickups. Hasn't failed me yet.

Wolfetones are great.
    Skatterbranes are great but there's some history there.
    Wizz, great.
    Throbak, great.
    JS Moore, great.
    Tom Holmes, superb.
    Dave Stephens, superb but his business practice is not ideal.
    OX4s, just got them but great so far.

This is just my experience and I have bought multiples from a few of the above.