• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What new production 6V6 tubes are people using?

67super

I've had terrible luck lately with JJ tubes rattling and have it on good authority from a amp builder (who shall remain nameless) that EH and Tung Sols have become unreliable. I know they are basically the same tube made at the same plant.

I do use some NOS but I'm interested in what new tubes are using with a bent on reliability.

Silent Sound

6V6's are the only power tubes I still buy NOS. Most other power tubes have gone sky high for their NOS prices, but 6V6's are still pretty reasonable. They may cost a little bit more, but they last a lot longer, so they're probably cheaper in the long run from a dollar per hour perspective. Pretty much any other power tube, I go new production.

No457 Snowy

I've had good luck with JJ's actually, so probably different batches/local suppliers stock etc, but based on the ones I've had they are as tough as nails, a real workhorse that will take a beating and sound good, almost like a mini 6L6.

TAD and GL tend to hold up well, perhaps particularly the GL one which is almost as rugged as the JJ but sounds way sweeter. TS, Mullard et al are decent quality as well.

fitz

I use Tung Sols in a few amps and they are reliable and sound nice to me. Every one has been in my amps for years.

jota

I believe TAD doesn't have a brand of tubes.
Like Mesa Boogie, they get tubes from different manufacturers and sell them after testing or something.
I've been very lucky with JJ's.

guitargeek6298

Silver Supporting Member
I like the TAD I have in one of my amps. I never run that amp below 75% volume and it's held up well.

I've actually liked the EH as well, but I bought a few maybe four years ago and I've been working on those so if something has changed since then I wouldn't know.

67super

I believe TAD doesn't have a brand of tubes.
Like Mesa Boogie, they get tubes from different manufacturers and sell them after testing or something.
I've been very lucky with JJ's.
That's interesting about TAD, that's ok if they qualify them well.

Dawg76

Silver Supporting Member
I changed out the original stock RCA 6V6s in my SFPR to Tung Sol Reissues. Work great.

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
6V6's are the only power tubes I still buy NOS. Most other power tubes have gone sky high for their NOS prices, but 6V6's are still pretty reasonable. They may cost a little bit more, but they last a lot longer, so they're probably cheaper in the long run from a dollar per hour perspective. Pretty much any other power tube, I go new production.
Yep. It's getting harder to justify the cost in my budget for good NOS 6L6s and EL34s, but good NOS 6V6s can still be had for reasonable dough.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I run the JJ 6V6S in my '71 SFDR, but that's primarily because that amp runs fairly high on the plates. In other amps, I like the TAD 6V6GT-STR and have also had good luck with some older EH 6V6EH.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
I've got a bunch of NOS 6V6GTs hanging around for the amps that need them and sound best with them (I was lucky to find a couple of large stashes a long time ago), but I have a newer build 5F10 clone that uses (and needs) JJ6V6GTs. They are tough and strong, almost like 6L6WGBs. The JJs are cool if they sound good in your rig.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom