What new Tele bridge pickup for my ASAT Classic?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Laroosco!, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I had an interesting revelation the other night. I
    brought my G&L ASAT Classsic to a jam. I played 4
    songs with it and then sat down. Sounded great

In the middle of the next set the guitarist in the
    band hands me his 52 RI Fender Tele and tells me to
    finish the set. As soon as I hit the first note I was
    amazed at the difference between the G&L pups and the
    Fender pups!! The G&L doesn't have that slice in the
    bridge pup that I like from a good Tele. The Fender
    had it in spades.

It had been a while since I played a "REAL" Tele so
    when I got the G&L it sounded great and very Tele like
    to me. But now I realize that while it sounds great,
    the G&L doesn't sound like a Tele...it sounds like a
    G&L.

The other players were commenting on how great they
    thought it sounded and that it had a rounder tone than
    the Tele. I on the other hand really love that
    aggressive biting high end from a real Tele bridge
    pup, and after playing the Fender I realized how much
    I missed it.

So it might be time to put a new bridge pup in the
    G&L. Don't want to spend a ton of money simply because I don't have it right now.
    I have heard good things about the CS Nocaster's and they are very reaonably priced. Since I am very happy with the CS 69's I just put in my Strat I have no hesitation in trying out the Fender tele pups.
    I'm also looking VERY hard at Rio Grande pup's. I absolutely love the Tallboys and Muy Grande's for Strats so I assume the Tele offerings are just as nice. I have a Muy Grande in the bridge of my main Strat and it kicks serious ass.

I'm just concerned that the Muy Grande won't have enough high end since it's hotter. We'll see.

Throw your suggestions at me.

2. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

If you liked the tone of the 52 Ri, check out a Fender ORiginal Vintage pup. Cheap and good. Perosnally, I love Lollars. His Vintage or 52 will put smile on your face from the first lick. If you have a year to wait, I hear great things about Hamels.

I think any of the botique winders out there ( Lollar, Fralin, Rolph, Wolfe, Aero, Duff, Novak, Dave Stephens, etc ) will get you where you want to go.

For off the shelf pups, Dimarzio VV's are hard to beat. Duncan 52 or Broadcaster are good. Lots of great options out there.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If you have any desire to change the neck pu, too, please do so.......you have a buyer waiting (me!)

4. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I will be changing the neck too. It will probably be a couple few weeks but when I make the change consider it yours.

I'll drop you a line when it's ready.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I'm A-OK with that. Thanks.

6. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

I'll second the recommendation for the Lollars. I have teles with all of his pickups (including the Charlie Christian), and I like each one of them for different reasons.

Jason's a great guy to deal with as well, and you'll get your pickups quickly.

7. jordanL

jordanL Member

the Fender Nocaster pups are quite good. I have had the Rio Muy Grande in my TexMex tele for several years. I would describe it as sounding light a Steel guitar pup, its got more treble bite than you expect from a pickup of its power.

8. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

My personal favorite for traditional Tele tone is the Seymour Duncan Antiquity with flat poles. I tried a number of "boutique" pickups and found that this one sounded best for clean or distorted tones (to my ears). It has nice top end slice but is not icepicky. It is not wax potted but I have not had any problems with squeal. Many other people on this board have recommended it in the past & I'm really glad that I checked it out.

9. gjf

gjf Member

Don't forget to check out Van Zandts -- best vintage sounding tele pickup I have ever heard, but I have not heard Lollars. Van Zandts are usually pretty reasonable in the aftermarket