What Next? and Optical Compressors

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joshbaezmusic, Jan 24, 2012.

1. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Hey guys,
    So I have a bad, bad, bad case of GAS, or in this case, PAS (Pedal Acquisition Syndrome) and I'm wondering what pedal to get next..

Here's my set up right now:

Fender Tele> Boss TU-2> BYOC Orange Distortion> Zvex BOR> Fulltone GT-500> MXR CC> Boss DD-5> Boss RV-5> Strymon Bluesky

I don't need any more distortion/OD at the moment so I'm good there.. but I was thinking about getting either the

a. Diamond Compressor
    b. EHX Micro POG
    c. Strymon El Capistan

Also, what are some good optical compressors that you use? I DON'T want that "rubber band" sound- just something to clean everything up and sound smooth and awesome.

Thanks guys!
    Let me know your thoughts!

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Get the Empress compressor.

3. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

This is exactly what I was going to recommend for an optical compressor. In fact, it's on my short list of comps to buy and try. So far, for me, the score is Dyna Comps: Zero, Orange Squeezer clones: One. Really want to know if an optical compressor is more to my liking. The Diamond you refer to in the OP is also a very respected compressor. IME, however, Fromel's products can not be beat.

4. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

If you were to compare the Diamond Comp with the Velvet Vice, what one would you choose and why?

5. muffinman

muffinman Member

Had both the VV and Diamond and kept the Diamond, it was very easy for my ears to make the call. For some reason the VV I had did a LOT of pumping and was tricky to dial in what I liked, and even then was pretty noisy into dirt, while the Diamond tone is nothing short of spectacular, so intuitive, the quietest in operation (plus the internal hi-cut makes it KILLER into dirt w/o noise), the EQ is a must-have after you try it, not a bad tone could I get from it.

6. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I have both and they are similar in quality of processing but I use them differently. Honestly I'm a huge Fromel fan (have 6 Fromel pedals thanks to OCD and TGP) but found for my main gigging rig the Diamond was my preferred pedal in a live setting. That's not to say that the VV isn't exceptional - it really is, and that's why I use it on my secondary board. They're both great but it depends on what you need - even more EQ or a ratio control? Either way you can't go wrong...good luck!

7. 66Park

66Park Member

The Effectrode compressor is my favorite - an absolutely stunning pedal. It totally ended my compressor search.

8. erksin

erksin Member

I don't have any experience with any other opto-based comps, but for my purposes the Diamond is killer and I quit looking after I got mine. I had some specific requirements and it has met or exceeded all of them.

Decent amount of output for boosting duties.
    Simple but flexible EQ option.
    Leveling and sustain without any of the unnatural artifacts of Dyna Comps and the like.
    Doesn't screw with my picking attack.

The only thing I don't love is the color, but it sounds so damn good I don't care what it looks like anymore - it's staying.

9. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

I don't know, I kind of love the TV Yellow haha :) plus, you can get a Surf Green one from Humbucker Music which is pretty sweet. I'm probably going to get this on based on the countless reviews of love that it gets. (I HATE it when compressors ruin your tone/picking attack.

10. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Would ya'll recommend me getting the compressor before anything else?

11. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

Strymon Ob.1 is my favorite comp EVAR.

12. erksin

erksin Member

So buy the Surf Green and I'll swap ya my yellow one!

13. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I liked the gold one...bloody canary yellow and putrid green....

14. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

I do enjoy Strymon, I have the bluesky and will be getting the el cap, but I can't find many demos of it and its versatility.

(You should make one and be famous.)

15. feralchild

feralchild Member

Many people consider this a rule of thumb for minimizing noise, but it depends HOW you use your compression and your dirt.

I generally put my compression early, but after my TS9 (or TS9s). For one thing, this keeps the volume at a consistent level when I want to roll back the volume knob on my guitar to clean things up. Also helps the sustain at lower gain levels. Of course at the time I decided on this order, I was just going by ear. It was only later that I understood how it was working and why I liked it better.

I had already been doing this for a while when I found out that Trey Anastasio does the exact same thing, so I feel pretty good about my choice.

16. feralchild

feralchild Member

Many people consider this a rule of thumb for minimizing noise, but it depends HOW you use your compression and your dirt.

I generally put my compression early, but after my TS9 (or TS9s). For one thing, this keeps the volume at a consistent level when I want to roll back the volume knob on my guitar to clean things up. Also helps the sustain at lower gain levels. Of course at the time I decided on this order, I was just going by ear. It was only later that I understood how it was working and why I liked it better.