What Noiseless Tele Pickup For Me?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnnyBGoode, Aug 21, 2008.

1. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

I'm looking for a Noiseless Tele bridge pickup for an Ash/Maple neck Tele. I'm not looking for any country twang but more for blues and rock tones.
    My favorite Tele (and guitar) tone is Albert Collins' tone on tracks like "Iceman" and "The Moon Is Fool" - his later CDs. I know it's not possible to copy his tone but that's the general direction... Roy Buchanan on his edgier stuff and Jeff Beck on his Esquire are also good examples of the Tele tone I like.

Seymour Duncans? Dimarzios? Kinmans? anything else?

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Please try the Tom Anderson TV1 and TV3 if you are looking for rock, blues and anything in between tones.

When i changed the pups in my Tele, everyone was in owe, even myself, i was about to sell that tele, now it is a keeper, it changed the character from wimpy to (insert a good adjective here) and it is only a beautiful sounding guitar now.

3. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

The TVs are not noiseless though...

4. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

Anderson's TDs are HC, but I've never tried them or read any feedback on them.

I have a Dimarzio VV Hot in my tele and it might be a little warm (midrangey) for the tones you specified. Maybe try the Area T.

Or this guy: http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/tel-hc.shtml

I have one of those one the way, so can't say much about it...yet.

5. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

EMG. I kid you not. EMG Tele pickups are AMAZING. They're some of the best I've ever heard, and they're dead silent! The neck pickup is just dreamy, and the bridge is full of twang and fire. Don't think of some 16 year old death metal dufus with an 81 in the bridge... nothing like that at all.

My #1 is a Tele with EMGs.

6. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I put the Fender SCN's in my MIM tele and they are great. Silent, slightly hotter, and have a good tone.

7. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Fine, get the TA's , you'll see what i mean.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I would bet that the best noiseless Tele pickups available are the Dimarzio Area T's. I have the "old" Virtual T's and have no reason to search for another Tele pickup. Sound just like singles to me without the hum. I'm sure that at a dynamic level they don't nail real single coils, but I don't miss anything. The twang, bite and thinner (but not too thin) sound is all there. Although I've always been a humbucker guy, so I can't stand hum/noise.

Compared to Kinmans, another great pickup, my Dimarzio's have more of the Tele gnarl. Dimarzio's have a rougher bite to them, which is what I want a Tele for anyway.

9. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

10. Joses

Joses Member

- Fender/Bill Lawrence SCNs...not much twang there at all & drives well
    - Kinmans...as you already know
    - Duncans...plenty of noiseless/stacked options there

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

A little backhistory on the SCN's if you'd like:
    http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/SCNHistory.htm

I'm very happy with the SCN's in my Tele, but also have the Kinman Woodstock Plus set in my G&L S-500. Both are quality noiseless pickups that I think anyone would enjoy.