1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What non-boutique budget pedals do you think are a steal or are better than...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by moodog, Mar 22, 2006.

1. moodog

moodog Member

I've got a short list of non-boutique pedals that I think are just as good if not better than their boutique counterparts. They are steals of deals and have never failed me.

I want to know what cheapo pedals you have and what you have put them up against in the more expensive boutique market. Rate them and put a dollar value on them. Pro's, Con's etc...

I mean everything and anything! This is meant to be an archive thread that will help guys on a budget get the most bang for the buck.

Please don't follow up to other guys posts with the negative, this thread is not meant to flame others for their opinions.

2. moodog

moodog Member

I’ll start it out with some I’ve grown fond of over the years…

Ibanez DE-7 echo/delay, What a great deal on this thing! Around $50 and you got a micro Echoplex. The closest thing I’ve come across to the real deal in a stompbox. If you are looking for tape emulation this blows the rest away and you can take that extra cash and pay the rent.

Vox 847 Wah-Wah, I had one and thought I needed to upgrade to boutique wahs to get that Jimi/Jimmy tone. Boy was I wrong. I spent more cash going through boutique wahs I was in the poor house for months. I tried everything out there. When I was about to go bankrupt I had to sell my last “boutique” wah just to make rent one month (none of them did it for me). Months later I needed a wah again and was low on cash. I foundly remembered my first real love (I had other wahs before that one and they didn’t do it for me either) the Vox 847 reissue. I picked one up for around $60 used, had a friend true-bypass it for me and I’ve never looked back. What a deal!

3. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Danelectro FAB Distortion. The red plastic POS that goes for $15. Easily $100 worth of fun in that pedal. You could stuff that circuit into a 1590B box and slap a fancy paint job on it, price it at $175 and folks would go gaga.

4. somedude

somedude Member

I sold my Red Witch after I a/b'd it against a brand new Phase 90 and Small Stone and decided I liked them better.

Not saying the Red Witch wasn't good, just that I liked these two pedals better.

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

I have a very old Boss DD-3 that sounds great to me. I don't notice the tone suck on these old Bosses like I can on some other non-TB pedals. Here's to another 15 years with it.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I think the Dunlop wahs with the Fasel inductors are really nice pedals.

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

CMATMODS pedals, great tone and great prices.
    I currently own the Phat Boost, Tube Slammer, Deeelay and a Comp.
    Saved myself loads of $$$

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Most of the Maxon pedals, several of the Guyatone, the V-Stack designs...

9. Ted James

Ted James Member

Said it in other threads before - But, the Digitech Bad Monkey is an amazing OD. For $39 its a no brainer. Amazingly open sound. Blows most boutique ODs away. Was playing it last night and switching back and forth between it and a TS Silver mod. I'm still amazed at how good it sounds. I'm going back and buying another one today.

10. erksin

erksin Member

Arion SAD-1 Analog Delay

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

Dano Chicken Salad.

Next to my other guitarist's Micro Vibe you couldn't tell the difference in sound and the knob settings are the same for any given sound. Just make sure you use a good AD adapter with it.

Price I paid was $12 as it came in a package deal of 8 pedals for $90. All the rest of the little Dano's were toys but the Chicken Salad is for real.

12. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I have two reliable off the shelf pedals that comprised two thirds of the pedals on my board for years. ( both have been discontinued for some time I wonder if no one else dug em')

First, the boss Turbo OD, get and extra footswitch and you got two drives in one.

The second is a Zoom choir pedal. It is sort of a multi effect. It's main thing is chorus but it does some preset combos of ch/rev ch/delay some reverse delays and you can dial in the amount of effect and tone. It'll do two presets at at a time, so that part is limited but I've usually got it set up for light chorus and rev on one preset and a 200 - 400ms delay on the other.

These two have been great bang for the buck and although may not be the best at what they they are decent souonding and a good value.

Scott:BEER

13. arexjay

arexjay Member

Not disagreeing with the choice of pedal, but I am with what you said about the other Dano pedals!

My Dano Tuna Melt Tremolo and PB&J Delay are amazing!

14. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Nobels ODR-1 & Boss SD-2 overdrives. Found them used for 40 dollars each & get some nice sounds out of them.

15. moodog

moodog Member

Here, Here! That Dano PB&J might be the best Echoplex sim for an Echoplex with a dirty tape I've ever heard.

If you want the best of both worlds get the PB&J and a Ibanez DE-7. Both can be had for under $100 or less used.

16. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I still own my Daddy-O. I always loved how crunchy the pedal could get. The knob structure sucks, but the tones were great, and the large footprint is awesome! I don't play it much with my AC30, as it was purchased to mimic the AC's natural tone when played with a rangemaster (which I own).

I liked the Arion Stereo Delay. Its the only delay I own. hope to replace it someday with a maxon AD900 or 999. Its not a bad sounding delay. Just cheap construction.

the proco rat, rat II and vintage rat all sound amazing to me on recordings.

finally, althoguh botique in name (cheap in cost), the barber pedals are all awesome and at $99, Direct Drive is the best priced true bypass tubescreamer you can find.

17. arexjay

arexjay Member

I don't remember, does the PB&J default to short or long delay when engaged?

18. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

Digitech Digidelay: great delay pedal that sounds pretty damn good. Great for a touring rig.

19. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

Fulltone Choralflange $240, TC Electronic chorus $200, Boss silver screw CE-2 priceless. Sold the first two and kept the Boss. I got it on Ebay for $80. It's ugly and beat up but the sound is killer. Yall ever notice that the ugly beat to hell pedals sound GREAT?

20. Rico Alan

Rico Alan Supporting Member

+1 on the Digitech Digidelay
    Tech 21 Double Drive, the poor man's Zim
    DOD Milkbox compressor
    also liking the new EH Little Big Muff Pi