• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What non-guitar instrument inspires you?

Glowing Tubes

Gold Supporting Member
I'm often inspired by great guitar players but something about certain voices make the hair on the back of my neck stand up (in a good way).
For example, Brandi Carlisle. The way she sings is really musical and inspiring to me. I tend to like the female voice a lot and find a lot of inspiration in it.
How about you?

Defendant

Silver Supporting Member
I spent years playing in a large band with horns and keys and I really enjoyed listening to them and figuring out what they do.

In particular I picked up a lot from keys players doing repetitive four note figures within an octave with the right hand.

Sax players do similar things as well, but the the way they play longer lines is really interesting. It's smooth but very different to the heavy metal legato stuff I learned as a kid, way more varied.

All the horns are interesting to me. Probably the most difficult for me to translate is simple trombone playing. It can be simpler and more sparse than Albert King but just as punchy and direct. Really tough to do with a guitar, for me at least.

I've been chasing analog synth sounds with guitar for years as well.

Then there's that whole Yngwie/violin line thing many people my age went through. Burnt out on that.

facesfan

Mandolin and yes,the female voice. I'm really into Brenda Holloway right now and also listening to a lot of Delaney And Bonnie. The 2010 D&B Rhino box is amazing especially the Royal Albert Hall show of Monday,Dec. 1,1969....wow! Bonnie could sang!

ledzep618

I think keys add an improving element to almost every band situation. As far as more out there stuff, I love Sitar and would really love to have one some day.

crambone

Banjo or lap steel. Both are harder to play (at least for me) than guitar so I respect people who play them well.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
Vocals and harmonies. It's what brought me into music and it's what I appreciate most in music.

Peace,

Ken I

Silver Supporting Member
I love trumpet in old standard jazz tunes. Pete Candoli and Clifford Brown come to mind. I can listen for hours and some of this style playing has greatly influenced my phrasing when I play.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Voice...the greatest instrument of all.

Piano...the harmonic and dynamic range is unmatched.

clintb

Hammered dulcimer.

It's percussive, I love percussion.
It also has that sustained piano sound which I also love.

mxk116

Gold Supporting Member
I understand where you're coming from with the question but there is so much beautiful, powerful, inspiring music, played and sung, that makes it impossible for me to tease out an individual instrument.

But if I had to create a list it would start with the power of a symphony orchestra, the lyrical beauty of jazz saxophone, an unaccompanied cello, the human voice..…

The list is endless.

SixStringFiend

Piano. It was my first instrument, and I was very serious about it for the longest, before my hormones fully kicked in and I realized the guitar was more apt to get me laid. I worshipped Bruce Hornsby before Slash or Zakk Wylde.

tholmes

Piano, hammered dulcimer, French horn. violin, cello, there are several more. But my favorite is the female voice. I could listen to, for example, Allison Krauss for hours on end.

Tom

Trending Topics

Top Bottom