What od are you guys actually using to NAIL that SRV tone on your covers...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Feb 25, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Title says it all. Simple Question. Simple Answer.

2. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Re issue TS -808 with a Vibro King can get you pretty close.

3. JimH

JimH Member

i honestly can't get anywhere near. I agree with pjhd28 but I think SRV himself would get pretty near to his tone with that gear. 'sall in the strat, strings and attack.

4. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

G2D Cream Tone, killer with most amps, especially nice with Orange amps.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I don't try to nail his tone, but a Strat into the clean channel of an amp pushed to where it starts to break up and goosed with a Tube Screamer just happens to have a pretty strong resemblance.

It's true particularly with him, that a lot of the tone does come from the way he plays. His tone is pretty basic Strat tone. It's the way he bends and slides and other little nuances that set him apart.

6. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Another vote for G2D cream tone - gets closer than my MJM Blues Devil and TS 808 reissue.

7. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I've used 2 tube screamers. One set for a gain tone, the other set as more of a clean boost ---> BF Fender (Vibroverb, Super, etc)

8. jamison162

So the BB Preamp and Blue Collar don't really come to mind? Do they sound a little overly processed. I have both and they are "ok", but I actually haven't found THE alder strat for me yet so it's hard to judge those pedals with respect to this thread.

9. dspblues

What version/era of SRV's tone are you going for?

10. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

11. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I just went to a big blues jam a few weeks ago and plugged my Anderson Hollow Classic straight into my Mesa Lone Star Classic with slight grit on Ch 1 and Ch 2 with drive set pretty low for a throaty lead tone. Not really trying to emulate SRV tone at all, as that's not my forte, but the tone was just freakin' awesome for that vibe.

I gots many comments on the dynamics and sustain and chime. Mostly from dudes with real bf Supers and Vibro Kings asking what pedals I was using...

Just my experience...

12. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Mojo Hand Copperhead, into a Blackface style amp. Nuff said!

13. jamison162

SRV is SRV to me man, I can't break it down by "era".

14. dspblues

Well, you might want to look into it. His tone varied. In the beginning he was using BF Fenders w/TS-808/TS-9's. Later, he was using the Steel String Singer. For the later tones, you might go for a pedal that can give you a dumble type tone. Maybe a Ethos or a Jeeter Gain stage red. I wouldn't use these as the gain tho, I'd use it to get that mid range dumble vibe. Maybe a tube screamer or Landgraff OD for the gain.

15. alivegy

alivegy Member

A lot of his tone also came from using multiple amps. I really don't know a whole lot about it as I haven't spent a lot of time emulating his tone. After listening to a few of his concert recordings it was obvious that the full, rich subtleties came from mixing together multiple amps, one with a more squishy mid section and at least one more that was voiced to get the highend layer.

16. JimH

JimH Member

I think the reason there isn't a straight forward 'gear' answer is that if you get an average guy to plug a strat into a tube screamer in to a fender amp it'll probably sound nothing like SRV.

Hand it over to SRV, get him to twiddle the knobs (probably up) maybe mess with the guitar (put a set of 11s or so on, get the action highish) and suddenly there it is - the sound materialises.

...I know people say he'd sound like him with whatever gear and all that - they're probably right, but I think he'd be close to his famous tone with a pretty basic set up, just set the way he liked it.

17. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

SRV also played on marshalls not just fenders. Also his tone is mostly in fingers hehe

18. SRVTWO

SRVTWO Member

I find that my TubeScreamer through a tube amp that is already breking up is too much and starts to get me into Warren Haynes like territory. I think the reason why is most tube amps when pushed to that sweet spot really doesnt have that much more volume to it so it just compresses and gets smooth. Stevie played loud amps very clean and relied on his style to do the heavy lifting for him his TubeScreamer did very little boosting from what it sounds like to me. A great example of this is on the Texas Flood reissue, the one with the interview and the live tracks. Check out the live track of Testify, after the intro you can hear him kick on the TubeScreamer and it just adds thickness and girth to an already killer tone. Anyway to answer your question I have found the closest I have come to his sound is get a tube amp breaking up slightly when you really dig in and use a good clean boost like the RC Booster for just that little more umph. If you must use a TubeScreamer use less gain and more level. Good Luck all.
    Mike

19. blues

blues Supporting Member

His amps were tweaked. He also used EV speakers.

20. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Tune down and string with .13's