What od/dist would you pair with a Red Snapper for most versatility?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gillibi, Feb 19, 2015.

1. gillibi

gillibi Member

I really dig the Red Snapper. What overdrive or distortion would go well with the RS for maximum versatility?

This is for a studio rig, so ampwise it could be Fender, Vox, Marshall, or Soldano.

2. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

On my board I have an original Zendrive, 87 smallbox Rat, and a Red Snapper. I've been thru so many drive pedals and these can cover most anything. Zen is set for low/medium gain, Rat is medium gain, and the RS is set low gain. They also stack very well together. I'm using these into Blackface or Tweed Fenders.

3. gillibi

gillibi Member

Is there any overlap between the Zen and Snapper? I've had a Rat before and it's not for me.

4. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

I love stacking the red snapper into another Menatone gem ms foxey brown - low to high gain and everything in between

5. gillibi

gillibi Member

I'll check that one out fieldsroyal, thanks

6. playthecray

playthecray Member

What about a Blue Collar? Make your own Fish Factory.

7. gillibi

gillibi Member

Have thought about that playthecray. In the past I haven't gotten along with Tube Screamers. Though the Collar seems to be tweaked

8. gillibi

gillibi Member

Any other suggestions?

9. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Since the Snapper is pretty flat EQ ("transparent"), I'd opt for something with a little mid push. That will give you a flat eq pedal and a mid push eq pedal which will do you well with Fenders or Vox etc. Arc Klone would be good. I have a JTM style and Vox style amp so both already have mids present so I pair my Snapper with a Boss BD-2 set with its tone knob low to add a fattening lead tone.

10. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

My experience is that it pairs well with a broad array of dirt boxes. This is partly why it's a classic =).

I use it as a stacker or a treble-booster depending on what I'm doing.

Pedals I frequently use in conjunction with it include a Spark, Soul Food, Vintage OD 390 [improved DOD 250], a Blue Collar, a Superbolt, a Tone Smuggler, a Rat, and a Swart Fuzzy Boost. I've never tried it with a Zen Drive but look forward to doing so.

Pups: singles/P-90s
    Amps: mainly STR-Trem; some AST Pro, DRRI, and Maz 18

11. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Aside: the Collar is amazing imo and very different to my ears from the other TS-clones that I own (Greer Relic and EHX ERD) and also like a lot.

It colors my tone in a really interesting way.

12. gillibi

gillibi Member

If anybody has a Blue Collar for trade PM me

13. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I don't find any overlap between the Zen and RS. The Zen is way more compressed and mid heavy compared to the more transparent flat eq RS. I run the Zen into the RS. The RS tightens and smooths out the Zen. Backing off guitar volume using Zendrive into the RS makes the Zen clean up some and the RS sustains like crazy.

14. Crikey

Crikey Member

+1 for the Blue Collar / Red Snapper stack! Kick them both on, and you won't need a distortion.

So, I suggest a fuzz as well. I have a Creepy Fingers Pink Elephant (Ampeg Scrambler clone) that works totally great stacked after my Red Snapper. But fuzz is a world unto itself, and people either love it or hate it, so let your own ears be your guide.

15. jjguitar

jjguitar Member

Iv been a snapper user for a few years now and its my favourite drive pedal! I have it last in my chain as a lead boost and stack it with either a vex box of rock or an original zendrive 2. You can hear the snapper stacked with the zendrive for the solo in my bands demo here https://soundcloud.com/hangsuiteband/suit-and-tie-cover-the-hang-suite
    Cant recommend a zendrive and snapper combo enough!

16. Lele

Lele Member

The Red Snapper is loosely based on the TS, but with asymmetrical clipping, and a much more flat eq, and low gain. So a Zendrive is maybe not very different, even if its voice is more unique and can give more gain.
    I was going to suggest the RAT for sure, but you already said you did not like it.
    You did not say for what music style. Anway, I'd try to suggest the Mojo Iron Bell; it's a lovely sounding pedal (modern, anyway I'd add).

17. gillibi

gillibi Member

Lele, it's for a studio board and I'm all over the place musically. It could be used for anything honestly.

18. WDH

WDH Member

I use a Bearfoot HBOD after for fat lead and SYOD before for distortion. Lots of fun combinations.

19. Lele

Lele Member

Well, I'd suggest the MojoHand Iron Bell, because I like it and since it's a kind of modern muff (with less bass) it's rather different from the Red Snapper, to widen your tone choice.

Or maybe a CrunchBox or Guv'nor (2, too) or Suhr Riot that are somehow similar, giving compressed tones, and quite good for palm muting, or the OCD with its more open sound.
    I love the BB Preamp very much; it is quite flexible with a lot of volume boost and gain (in case) and a little mid hump, but it's not 100% on the other side of the spectrum considering your Red Snapper.
    Few days ago I got a second hand Boss OD-3; I still have to try it, but I have high hopes, it should have a smooth tone, with a more original circuit (and a complex one!). Then I'd like to build some circuits to try... already got many components and ICs... it's a never-ending trip.
    Anyway... enjoy your search!

PS: I was forgetting also the Barber Dirty Bomb, which is a well tweaked Shredmaster, another flexible stomp box (and not so high-gain in spite of its name)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015