What OD is best with a AC30?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed Reed, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

What do you use?

2. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Long time classic with AC30 and other EL84 amps: Crowther Hot Cake. Anything from clean boost to full out distortion, my favourite sounds are the ones between.
    Dont have a Vox though, but have played a Hot Cake thru one and currently use two Hot Cakes with my Bad Cat Cub II which is sort of a hot rodded AC15... Works great.

3. T-bone

T-bone Member

I no longer own a Vox but when I did the Hot Cake was my favorite.

4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Well I play a Bruno UG30 which is a similar tone, and the Timmy is the one for me...

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

BJF Emerald Green. Tim or Timmy might be good as well but I only have experience with the BJF.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've just gone thru a long list of pedals looking for the right stack for a 65 non-top boost. The top 4 candidates were:
    Fulldrive II (didn't find any of the other Tubescreamer clones worked as well including TS808, TS9, GGGOD, Barber Burn Unit and a few others)
    Sansamp
    Burn Unit
    Klon

Since noise was an issue (church band) the Big Muff clones didn't really work, although I do like the Creamy Dreamer into the Vox. Treble boosts obviously work well if it's that classic rock/blues sound you're looking for.

7. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

I use a Crowther Hot Cake and Time Machine Boost, but I mostly use the AC30 for my clean tone.

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

I like a ZVex SHO, Sparkle Drive or an RC Boost.

9. e-flat

e-flat Member

I'm using an AC30CC (master volume) so I'm not 100% sure if my Vox reacts the same with pedals as the JMI or Korgs, but here are some I've liked:

-Menatone TBIAC - 5 knob & 6 knob versions - Depending on what role your OD plays, these can work really well. I liked them best when the amp was set clean.... They were good for emulating the amp's natural chime & growl, but I personally found top-boost tones on top of top-boost tones to be a little too much.

- Pro Analog Dual Drive: Great match up with the Vox. Very clear & articulate, focused and natural. Can cop a bit of a marshall voice if desired. IMO a bit more of a modern sound, probably due to the almost hi-fi nature. Liked it a lot.

- HotCake & HotCake BluesBerry: Tried the Hotcake & really liked it but I didn't get on with the "fizz" that the pedal had when the gain was cranked. Sent it to Paul Crowther for the BluesBerry mod.... LOVE this box now. Some say the difference is subtle, but the fizz is greatly reduced (has jusy the right amount of hair around the noted when pumped up) and the tone is a little more vocal/throaty (this is pretty subtle, though). Keeper for the Vox.

Got a BJF Honey Bee on the way soon.... I'm hoping that and the HC Bluesberry will cover my OD needs.

"Waiter, can I get some Honey on my Bluesberry?" I feel like I'm ordering freakin' breakfast here!
    Hope that helps :BEER

10. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Affordable margin pick: the red channel of the old Stamps Drive-O-Matic. (The yellow channel isn't worth much.) Worked really well with a RI AC30 w/Blues.

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

+1 on TBIAC 6! Wotks great with my 15W Class A Vox-type amp! Very usable and in no way over the top on vox-into-vox.

Another +1 on the Hotcake too...

OCD is another great candidate. Check it out!

12. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

i have a maz jr, which is el-84 but obviously not a vox. so my answer may be irrelevant to your question, but for me the timmy works great, barber direct drive is wonderful, and so is the tube zone. modded ts-9 is okay. mosferatu just didn't seem to work out for me, but i must be the only one.

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I use a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, which, like the AC-30, is an EL84-based amp.

Sadly, I am going to sell my Crowther Audio Hotcake, which I have had for almost as long as the amp. The two worked great together- a beautiful sound (sniff, sniff).

Happily, I am only selling the Hotcake because I want to get Paul Crowther's Bluesberry pedal, which is the same thing with a little less gain (I stick to the lower-gain spectrum on the Hotcake, so I figger it should be a good swap).

So, I can really recommend the Hotcake. (BTW, mine's on the Pedal emporium, mostly FT)

14. Stormy

Stormy Member

After trying a variety of pedals TS-9 (to much top end), various fuzz and OD pedals, I am getting good tone using Crowther Hot Cake with my TopHat King Royale.

15. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

As I've oft said, on this here August Forum, my Hotcake is subatomically fused to my '64 AC30.

16. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Personally the Timmy works really well for me as a low-gain overdrivewith the Vox. I use it almost as you'd use a loudness button on a Hi Fi at low volumes-it just expands the AC30 sound a little when I can't crank the amp as much as I'd like. I do also like the Hotcake and have put my order in for the new dual version that's being developed right now. What I'm not really liking at the moment is my King of Tone. I'm experimenting a lot with different chips but the KOT is adding a bit of a nasally tone that doesn't seem to blend well with the Vox.

17. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I'm getting really interested in this Hot Cake Bluesberry mod! I have two Hot Cakes so maybe I should send the other one for Paul Crowther for modifying! Hmm..might just do that, so I'd have them both.

I also use Hot Cake mostly for the low gain sounds, it tends to get a bit fizzy when the gain is cranked, but up about 13-14 oclock it's still awesome!!

18. fuzzy4dice

fuzzy4dice Guest

I've been using my crusty OS-2 Boss Overdrive/Distortion with my AC15CC. So far, it's not bad, but I'm sure I could do better.

How about those Vox pedals?

19. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I have a Vox AC15 TBX that sounds FANTASTIC with my OCD. I don't care much for the OCD with my Fender amps though.

20. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i don't mean this to be flaming at all! i'm just :confused: 13-14 o'clock? you mean 1 or 2? or like military time?

the reason i ask is: i am looking for a good boost, but i'm also really into fuzz tones. i know there are a few pedals out there that can really nail both, not to mention the hotcake can do a good clean boost. when people say the hotcake is "fizzy" do they mean fuzzy, like it can do fuzz tones, or fizz like a cheap high gain amp?