What OD pedal to use with Vox Ac30?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Elektrik_SIxx, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

Hey guys,

I just bought a Vox AC30 CCH (head) and use it with a Marshall 1922.
    Tonight I tested it on the gig with a standard TS9 and a Blues Pro (old version without the fuzz).

Both pedals sound totally cool with the amp for crunch sounds.
    But since I'm coming from a Mesa background, I'm sorta used to that liquid soloing tone and haven't been able to really achieve that even with both pedals on.
    Now I'm not asking how to get a Boogie tone out of an AC30CC but I'd like to know what some of you guys use to get a really singing, ballsy lead tone out of this amp or similar amps.

TIA

2. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I believe that the Crowther Hotcake was designed around the AC30 and can get into the higher gain territory, though nowhere near a Rectifier sound. My buddy has a hotcake and AC30 and it sounds really good for sustainy leads.

3. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

Menatone TBIAC !

It's got tons of gain and sustain, and well as output, and the voicing is perfect for a Vox :)

I like it much better than the Crowther Hotcake - the TBIAC could do everything the Hotcake could do, and more; the Hotcake was subsection of the TBIAC, if that makes sense.

4. taylorooney

taylorooney Active Member

for a sustain-heavy lead tone you may want to do a fuzz instead of an OD. fulltone soulbender is great thru an AC30. anything in the solasound tonebender family. try the RI vox tonebender. or if you're up for building something try the BYOC MKII fuzz.

5. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i've heard the MI Audio Tube Zone = Mesa in a box

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Of course, I thing the logical choice is the BJF EGDM. I love mine. It is a classic AC30 like tone. I don't know if it will give you the sustain you are looking for because I am after ver different tones and don't use it that way. It certainly isn't a Mesa tone. It is my #1 though, for sure.

Many will tell you that a Vox really only needs a boost type pedal or a treble booster. I liked the Java Boost alot but it was noisy as hell when using a pedal power. My favorite straight boost into my Tophat (AC30 like amp) is the BJF Red Rooster Booster. You may also look into fuzzes.

Here is a link to some clips by Teahead. He has an AC30 and plays a Tele. His clips sound really great and show alot of pedal flavors. You will probably be most interested in the EGDM and PPF clips. Rock on!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=361669

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i agree the hotcake is great ... and the EGDM is even better, but neither pedal will get that mesa tone ...

9. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

The Crowther's great for edgy dirt...not very 'fluid' though. I've been through the wringer trying to get a good 'rock' tones from my AC30 and the best i've found for me is the Cornish TB83. It gives you that 'big' amp crunch that all the other pedals seem to miss into an AC.
    I run an A/B setup and get my dirt from the 'normal' and cleans from the TB side of the amp. Works great and sounds HUGE. If i used that one sound all night that would be it for me...all my pedals would be in the Emporium. It's that good it's "THE" tone...FAT, JUICY,SPONGY & BROWN, like a good steak :) HAHA :AOK

11. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I get fantastic results with my Eternity into my 62 ac30. For the heavier tones I use a LovePedal Balance INTO a KarKrash. Biting solo tones are Java boost into Hotcake, or Plosive Electronics May Booster into the Eternity.

12. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

13. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I have a 93 AC306TB and this is the stuff Im using now:

Crowther Hotcake - Smooth mid gain tones to Gritty near fuzz, depending on how you play on the guitar end.

Gaspedal Carb- Chimey Rhythm (think Big star), lots of prescence and clarity for rhythm and lead work.

Phoenix Custom Electronics Lady Stardust (thats a mouthful! its a Vox tonebender clone) For Fuzzy leads, dirty rhythm.

Additionally, I have a cochrane Timmy on order, and would like to try a Klon in this current rig as soon as I got some consistent cash flow.

14. Stressfest

The Carb & Klon for that matter do work exceptionally well with the AC30.

15. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

I like the Timmy for a bit of grit, but it's pretty sharp sounding if you turn it up too hot...

For mid to high gains i've liked the Hotcake and the Fulldrive II actually...

I'm still lookin for a good high gainer though...

16. Gdog

Gdog Member

Me too. I may check out the Crunchbox. I have a TIM, but every now and then I do some heavier stuff. I'd like to find a higher gain pedal that has that TIM quality. If that makes sense?

17. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Skreddy Screwdriver might be worth checking out. Barber's stuff gets a lot of that boogie sound, not as heavy though.

18. Stressfest

EL84's are so hard to get a 'Big' sound out of...well, big in terms of Boogie tones.

19. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

Hey guys

Thanks for the responses. The general consensus seem to be for the Hotcake and the Tube Zone. The Hotcake is a little hard to get here but I know someone from a music shop who seems to have one, so I'll check that out. I'll definitely check the Tube Zone out too.

Yesterday I noticed on the gig that your pedal overdrive tones change dramatically if you dial in a bit of grit on the amp (...duh). Both the Blues Pro and the stock TS9 turn into mid-to-high gain monsters while retaining all the clarity and transparency you need. Something that was kind of lacking in all my boogie setups. So the BP functions as my crunch rhythm pedal with higher drive and lower level settings and the TS9 is the lead tone pedal with hihger level and lower drive settings.
    The compromise here is that my clean tones, by lowering my guitar volume, are substandard. So for the moment I'll have to keep dialing back and forth on the amp between songs until i get one of the above mentioned pedals.

Btw, i wasn't looking for Recto-type sounds, more the typical vintage Boogie lead tones.

Again, thanks for pointing me to these pedals.

20. dw1003

dw1003 Member

Try an A/B/Y pedal so you can channel switch between the top boost and normal channel or blend the two. open up that top boost all the way add a touch of overdrive (I use a voodoo labs OD or Tubescreamer) to add additional sustain on top of the amps natural breakup. Try reversing your approach, let the amp do all the work and have your pedals touch it up.
    have fun!