What OD pedals are you stacking with your Soul Food?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lawless33, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Hey, guys! I use a POD HD500 into a Line 6 DT25 combo at my church. I have it at my feet, facing me so I can use it as a personal monitor.

I'm evidently really bad at dialing in the POD's OD sims to get something pleasing to my ears. I bought an EHX Soul Food recently and have been running it in the HD500's effects loop as a light overdrive (after a compressor sim in the HD500.)

I still don't know if I want to use the Soul Food as a clean boost or as an overdrive pedal, so that's still up in the air.

Out of curiosity, what pedals are you guys finding that stack well with the Soul Food, and are you using your Soul Food as a clean boost or OD? Thanks in advance!

Wes

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

None, since my Soul Food crapped out on me.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  3. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

I use it with my VFE Blues King and an Xotic EP Booster.

4. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

I don't think I've seen the Nonce pedal! :rotflmao

5. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

Don't blame yourself on dialing in the Od's on the hd500. As much as I love the unit, the OD models are not great. Tube drive is really the only one I've had success with.

Anyway, I've been using the soul food after my drives as a solo boost. Haven't found an OD it doesn't work well with. If I were using it with my hd500 I would probably run it in the loop.

6. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Thanks, partytrain. May I ask what drive pedals you're using?

Also, thanks Chris McKinley. I'll check those pedals out as well.

7. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

My SF is the first in my chain of four dirt pedals. I have it set for a clean with only a hint of breakup boost and run into a Catalinbread DLS mkiii, then into a Catalinbread Formula No. 5, and then into a surf green Timmy set as a mildly dirty boost. It works well goosing both of the CB pedals and the Timmy. I tried it after the CB pedals and didn't care for that combo.

8. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Nice! Thanks for this info. I haven't looked at the Catalinbread pedals as of yet, but they're now on my list to research.

9. Mothman

Mothman Member

I'm using the SF close to the end of my chain, in true bypass mode, and using the "pixie dust" setting (just above unity volume, slight treble cut, gain just below 9 o'clock) for an always-on EQ. I'm playing into a stock DRRI, usually into the Normal channel. My two go-to guitars are a stock VM Jazzmaster (bright!) and a stock Epi Wildkat (dark!). For the Kat, I'll switch to the Bright channel.

I'll hit the SF with an EHX Glove, set for a low-gain crunch, and it makes a great natural break-up that works for rhythm. With both the SF and the Glove running, I'll hit an SD-1 with the C6 clipped for a lead line (Volume almost maxed, tone at noon, Gain almost minimum). For cleaner lead licks, I'll use the SD-1 into the SF, no Glove.

I've also been playing a Moog MF Drive, which is really cool by itself. But the SF rounds off some of the synthier, fizzier aspects of the Drive, and makes it fit with our Americana-style music a little better.

10. bschmoove

bschmoove Member

SD-1>Joyo Tubescreamer>OS-2>big muff Russian>joyo octave fuzz>Soul Food set as clean boost.

11. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Good stuff, guys. This helps immensely!

12. partytrain

partytrain Supporting Member

I've used the mxr superbadass, joyo ultimate drive (OCD clone) and the joyo vintage OD (ts). Also sounds good after my nano big muff PI.

I've also used the SF with a zoom g5 as a boost before the drives/amp models. Worked well there as well. Now that you brought this thread up. I'm going to have to hook it up to my hd500.

13. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Right now I have a Route 66, Russian Big Muff, and Hardwire CM-2 with my SF. Sometimes I use it as an always on "breakup pedal" and I use the CM-2 for leads. Sometimes I use it as a lead pedal (with my other ODs). I like it in both roles, but haven't really decided which I like better.

Peace,

14. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

A while back, I bought a Joyo British pedal, but haven't used it with my live rig, as it's so noisy. But since I can put it in the HD500's effects loop as well, I can use the HD500's noise gate to cut that down or eliminate it. Seems to have a pretty broad range of tones.

15. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I loved my SolidgoldFX Superdrive through the SF, but since I didn't like the actual SF and don't need another pedal to make the Superdrive great, I got rid of the SF. :p -E

16. pappas215

pappas215 Member

SF into either my caveman drive or EP booster

17. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

SF into DLS mk3 sounds great. Buffer switched to always on.

18. XKnight

XKnight Member

Was typing too fast. Fixed it. :bonk

19. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

20. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

You must be a jazz player!:)

Wes