What OD pedals do you like for a bluesy tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by toneman335, Mar 27, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Looking for a low to medium OD pedal to get a great bluesy tone. Whats out there that you love?
    Do you think there is a different result using some pedals in a Tweed amp and Fender Black Faced amps? If so, then what do think is best for each amp design?

2. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

keeley blues driver

3. giggedy

giggedy Member

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There is a difference running into tweed vs BF. Mainly it comes down to the eq and the cleanness of the clean tone. Tweed tends to have a lot of mids and mid-complexity. It never gets the razor sharp clean tone of a BF, but it does transition sweetly from clean to distorted. BF tend to be a little more clean, a little more lightswitch transition, and a scooped mids tone.
    For BF amps, the traditional Tubescreamer and it's clones are perfect. The mid hump fills up the gap in the spectrum and the bass suck makes up for the fact that the base can fart out on a Fender if pushed too hard. Which clone or derivative is best is arguable: people will go for modded TS9s, Foxrox Zim, Klon etc.

Tweed amps sound good with TSs but there's a lot of other pedals out there you can use with them, from fuzzes to distortions to ODs. I'm partial to the Klon, TS808, Blackstone, Timmy, Marshall Guvnor and others...

The Zendrive and Mosferatu sound great thru almost anything, but are a bit smoother than some of the other choices... They're also a great deal (like the Timmy) if you can wait that long.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I like the BB Preamp and G2D Cream Tone.
    Timmy, Barber LTD SR, Silver Kiss, and Keeley BD-2 are also options.
    Then you have the germanium fuzzes.

6. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

My top picks (I have them all): Keeley Ts-9, Zen drive and Jetter GSR. The OCD also has really nice od with the gain down.

7. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

8. Birddog

Birddog Member

I run a BD-2 on my main board and a Bad Monkey on my small/grab&go board. I'm thinking of reversing that. I'm starting to prefer the Bad Monkey, though they both have their good point. The Bad Monkey sounds a little silkier and is simpler to dial in. The BD-2, however, is more dynamic and you can get a wider variety of sounds out of it. For straight up blues, however the Bad Monkey or a TS-9 would be my picks.

9. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Lovepedal Eternity,Paul C. Timmy , Clark Gainster, Jetter Gainstage Red, menatone Red Snapper. All different and great! If I had to choose just one ETERNITY!

10. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

All you will hear on my corner of Beale St is the Cot and Eternity....Honey Bee still on the way....lol

11. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

MI Audio blues Pro- a little cheaper. Sounds great into my EL84 amp

12. rewog

rewog Member

Wow - a Blues Tone ?

There's a lot of options right there isn't there ?
    It would help to tell us what style of Blues you like...:)

13. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

BJFE BBOD or Lovepedal Eternity

14. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Menatone WMB...
    Fetto Deluxe...
    Silver Kiss...
    Batch O' Ass II...

15. toneman335

toneman335 Member

What kind of blues tone? I did say a low to medium OD tone. Definately not into high gain metal territory. Heard some say that a blues tone is a tone with some hair on it. Hope that helps.

16. XKnight

XKnight Member

You're going to get different results using the same pedal with different guitars and different amps.

My favorite blues tone is from using my Suhr TS with a Tim and my Bassman type amp. If you already have a great tone with just your guitar and amp, I find the Tim simply enhances it and adds a touch of grit.

17. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

That's a great combination right there!

I've really warmed up to my Timmy as a light OD lately. My sound is fairly clean --- Suhr Classics and Classic T's into BF style amps --- and I hate pedals that rob that combination of what's already going on. I generally have one of two pedals on all the time these days, Xotic RC or the Timmy (with a little more hair dialed in than on the RC). I have an excellent clean boost at the end of the OD chain as well. If you like clean to gritty clean blues tones this is in the arena.

18. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

TS clone into a BF, and an OD-3 into a tweed...

Basically, just like drbob1 said, a mid-humped pedal into a "v"-eq'd amp; and a "v" eq'd or flat eq'd pedal into a mid-humped amp.

19. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

+ 1 on the M.I. Blues Pro. I'm not big on the straight-up Tubescreamer anymore (I used to be, but it seems that everybody's got a Tubescreamer clone these days). That's what's cool about the Blues Pro; it's a bit grittier than the Blue Boy Deluxe, and the price is right. But if you want that glassier TS-type tone, then the BBD is the way to go.
    My personal favorite pedal for good quality vintage Fender amps (like the Custom Vibrolux, Vibro King, etc) is the Throbak Overdrive Boost. IMO, it does what the Klon does, and does it better. Plus it's loaded with a ton of other great tones (overdrive/silicon fuzz/sil. + ger. hybrid fuzz/clean boost/treble booster/attenuator + more), not to mention, it nails the 70's Beck, Page, Gilmore stuff (plus IMO, it's also the best replica of the Colorsound Overdriver circuit, but also includes switchable mods that really amp up the versatility factor). I think it's the best boost/overdrive ever made (better than the Klon for half the price, and you can actually use the OD). Very amplike and has an excellent EQ. $220 but absolutely worth every penny and then some.
    By the way, it also happens to sound awesome through vintage-style British amps as well-- Loves Plexi-era Marshall amps. And you don't have to get on a waiting list if you buy direct from Throbak. I got mine shipped right out.

20. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Little Green Wonder ( my current fav ), or any of the top flavor of the month modded or boutique ts-9's.

O.. I guess I should add the Landgraff Ldo. Its supposed to be the cream of the crop.