What OD When You Can't Turn Your Volume Past 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ahltarocka, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Here is my dilemma. I play in a classic rock band, use a Strat with Dimarzios and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Because we play mostly smaller clubs, I can never turn my amp volume past 2. I have tried countless OD pedals to get sustain, but it is very difficult and always falls short. The closest I have come is using my Mojo Drive into my Brownie because it has a lot of compression and will sustain (but is sounds very compressed). What OD or combo can I get to give me the most sustain when soloing without sounding extremely compressed or is that possible.
    Your thoughts are appreciated.

ROCK TILL YOU CAN'T ROCK ANYMORE:band

2. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Have ya got money to spend? If not get a Boss SD-1 or Blues Driver. Or a Tubescreamer. But you've probably tried all these. Another thing is try running a couple of overdrives together. If you got some money, don't buy a fancy pedal. Buy a smaller amp. A Blues Junior or Deluxe Reverb would work. Then you could get that sweet amp driven sound and use the pedal to ramp it up.

3. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

or an attunator or hot plate....

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Maybe Im missing something but why not buy a smaller amp that you can really get some use out of???

5. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Try starting with your treble and bass amp knobs on zero to get your amp working harder with less volume.

6. DK207

DK207 Member

You could do what I just did, sell the HR deluxe and buy a Blues Jr. Best move I've made in a long time. The amp is still plenty loud and takes pedals really well. If that is not an option for you, maybe try a TS or if you have money to spend a KOT.

7. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Maybe a Barber Tone Press comp. Lets you blend the dry signal with the wet. So the sound is not all comp. It allows for total comp or total unaffected guitar with a blend knob that lets you set the balance between the 2. Thus obtaining increased sustain without the squash.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

You could try a smaller amp like a blues jr. The other guitarist in my band plays one and it has enough clean headroom for bar gigs and a nice controllable drive tone.

But the real problem I see is that you are trying to get sustain by stacking OD pedals. I own a brownie and it has a TON of gain and compression. Adding another OD pedal will only worsen that compression effect.

Now keep in mind that a ton of sustain is not always desirable for things like crunchy rhythm guitar. I would actually back down the gain on your OD's and use either the brownie or the mojo drive alone for different rhythm tones. Then I would step on a compressor set for mild compression/sustain and a slight volume boost for solos. The volume boost will only work properly if the comp comes after you OD's. If you put the comp/boost before your drive it will be like turning up the gain knob with very little volume boost.

If you want serious soloing sustain I would use a single pedal that delivers it with no help. Any version of a Big muff would be a great starting point and the cheapest option is the little big muff. The skreddy top fuel would be the top of the heap. Another option is a rat pedal. Another option is a fuzz face type pedal. The skreddy lunar module or the barber trifecta look good

BYOC offers excellent versions of the rat, the big muff, and the fuzz face.

9. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

AVOID marshal pedals...I have a couple and they are awesome at higher volumes, but SUCK at low volumes...with a drri I gotta crank it to three before the jackhammer or guv'nor sound decent

10. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

For your application, you need some compression.

For use with a clean amp I like Barber pedals.

Barber Small Fry let you adjust the level of compression you want.
    Barber Direct Drive is compressed but not too much.

Or use the OD you want and put a Barber Tone Press after it and control the amount of compression from the TP

11. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

OCD or buy a smaller amp!

12. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've been able to get decent results with both a Hotcake and a Zen Drive. Just have to dial them in a bit...

13. aberrant

aberrant Member

+10

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

One of the drawbacks of downsizing the actual amp is that you tend to lose bottom end. Using a larger amp with a pedal to generate your "grit" will preserve the bottom end.

15. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

keep the big amp.

work on technique and get either a ross clone (keeley, byoc, analogman) and/ or a fet based distortion pedal.

keeley>ocd would work.

16. Arp488

Arp488 Member

what about an 18 watt marshall and just keep the fender if u ever want clean... there area many, many people that build 18 watt marshall clones and some of them can be had for not a whole lot of $. Ceriatone is a great example of these and they come up used fairly often. PTP and not "TOO" loud... this will give you an opportunity to really get that marshall classic rock plexi sound with not a whole lot of wattage. visit the ceriatone forum and check them out... there are a lot of clips out there and they show up for sale there every now and then for not that much money... or hell if you can use a soldering iron (i cant) build one yourself and save a lot of money... Seriously why not go for the marshall for not too much more money then two or 3 nice boutique marshally pedals.

ceriatone.com check um out

Disclaimer
    (i am in no way affiliated with ceriatone amps nor do i own one... yet)

17. ahab

ahab Member

My thoughts exactly.

18. Grimace

Grimace Supporting Member

I use a BOR at the end of the chain, keep it on and eq the amp with it on, use a very low drive, think of it as a little amp you get to hit and use its volume as a master. And you always have the boost sitting there for volume boost.

19. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

This has already been said in this thread but I think it needs embelishing. I too use the HRDX and only play it at the center of 2 (witch is actually 1 as the first number is 2) at the loudest gigs. Two points:

I found the Blues junior to sound too small (lack of low end punch and headroom) and too noisy when used with pedals. It has no clean channel per se, only the one channel and attaining enough volume means more pre amp drive and more gain. By the time you hit the eqivelent HRDX at 2 Vol, the pre amp is introducing alot of noise.

Point 2:

The stock Emi speaker in the HRDX is not very good for sustain or smooth overdrive.
    You would be blown away at how much better your drive pedals sound when using a different cabinet with say Vin 30's in it. I personally use a HRDX head with a plywood 2X12 one stock Emi (all highs and lows, gritty breakup) and a Peavey/ sheffield 100w XXX (very smooth, high power handling)

It's hard to beat the HRDX for price point, and the beautiful clean canvas to paint over when you need coverband versatillity.

20. Andre357

Andre357 Member

COt 50 - Eternity.
    One of the best OD stacks on the planet. Would sound fantastic in front of your amp