What od's/midboosts don't suck the low end out?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sonic Reducer, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I have a keeley modded TS-9. It's a cool pedal, but when engaged it does suck out some of the thickness of the amp.

Any good od's for playing rhythm parts/chords?

2. Occam

Occam Member

The Caitlinbread Poblano is a clean boost but it does the best job I've ever heard of maintaining low-end especially in front of a dirty amp.

3. dosmun

dosmun Member

It is all relative. If you want to boost mids the lows and highs will seem to be less. If you want the lows to be up there with the mids then you basically need to cut just the high end.

4. erksin

erksin Member

You need a Timmy...

5. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

:eek:

6. erksin

erksin Member

Pardon..?

7. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

what amp are you using ??

8. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

If you want something Tube Screamer-like but with full bottom end, the Maxon OD-820 is what you should check out. It has a much fuller sound than most TSs, even the modded ones.

9. blueprint

blueprint Member

In one word: the Klon.

10. 6789

6789 Member

11. erksin

erksin Member

I just picked up a Hot Cake - lots of bottom on tap and keeps good definition for chording as long as you don't crank up the gain. Very thick sounding box. I still think a Timmy is the way to go for what you're describing though...

12. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

How about an Xotic AC Booster?

13. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Get a Prescription Electronics RX Overdriver. Adds REAL balls to any guitar/amp combination as a boost, and get a very nice Fuzz sound if you want to.... The most underappreciated pedal around, IMHO. Get 'em while they're cheap.

14. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

The Bad Monkey is another alternative.

TS type OD with active and useful bass and treble controls. $39 new.

15. jero

jero Member

From my own experience I would advice the Tim(my) or Menatone Red Snapper, and the Barber LTD.

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'll second what YZDanno said - an AC Booster would work.

I see folks mentioning Timmy's and Red Snappers (yes, owned / own them) ... but you said you wanted a pedal with a mid-boost that doesn't suck the low end out, right? Those two are pretty darn transparent and would not give you the mid-boost you require.

-Ben

17. el34power

el34power Member

If you are looking for a diffenrent "vibe" well, you will get a ton of opinions but.

If you like the TS9 tone... +1 for the Monkey.

18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I have a bad monkey and it is an excellent, improved take on the Ibanez TS's. While it does have a "bass" knob its really more or a "lo-mid" knob (cuts/boosts @ ~200hz. Low E on the guitar is ~80hz) and you MOST DEFINITELY lose some low bass no matter how you dial it in.

I have a barber silver LTD and I must say that the bass response of this pedal (and the DD) is just fantastic. Tight and punchy and if you want more just dial it in with the trimmer. Now the Silver has the least amount of midrange of any pedal Barber makes but it still has a touch of TS style thickness which is very apparent on the neck pickup of a strat especially when compared to something very transparent like the Boss BD-2. The black LTD has slightly more mids (still less than a TS)

The timmy is apparently the most transparent rhythm OD according to many folks on this site but it obviously doesn't do the TS honk.

19. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

Honey Bee, I use it to fatten up the sound

20. gulliver

gulliver Member

I think a lot of this depends on how close a pedal's bass is to that of your amp setup. If a pedal is voiced just like your amp, I think it will keep the bass about the same. I just picked up an MI Audio Tube Zone, which allows a lot of tweeking to get a tone that's close to your amp. When it's tweeked differently than you're amp, you sure know it. I'm not saying this is the pedal for you, but having a fair amount of tone control might be a good place for you to start.