What OD's would you consider as being "fat"?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Jan 16, 2006.

1. TimH

TimH Member

You know the kind of pedal that just gives that certain smooth, fat tone to your guitars. This is the kind of lead sound I'm really into and so I'm wondering who else likes fat tones and what your favorite pedals are that do this kind of tone (EJ, Robben Ford etc)

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

3. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

The Zendrive from Hermida Audio! It fits the bill perfectly.

Read the reviews here (do a search), and read the reviews in the Jan'06 "Guitar Player", "Guitarist (UK)", and "Guitar One" for further testimony.

I don't know if you knew this, but if Robben Ford isn't using his Dumble amp rig, he uses a Zendrive straight into his Fender Super Reverb. Carlos Santana uses the Zendrive too! Your look may be over.

cheers,

DD

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

In no order of relevance {keeping the gain low to mid level}

Hot Cake Bluesberry
    Klon
    Fatboost
    Eternity
    MJM Blues Devil
    GD2 Cream Tone

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Wow, I thought the Zendrive was the smoothest pedal I had ever heard, but not fat. For fatness and smooth I would say Mi audio Blues Pro. I will be trying a blues boy soon though. :BEER

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

BTW Zendrive is robben ford in a box. I found it to like Humbuckers especially well.

7. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i would think the baby blue is too aggressive and not really "smooth" ... probably quite fat though.

8. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Supporting Member

+1 on the MI Audio Blues Pro. I recently got one and am very impressed. I especially like it with the stock JRC4558D replaced with an MC1458 op amp. Fat and smooth with good dynamics and note definition.

To my ears, the Zendrive doesn't have quite enough bottom end to be really fat.

9. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

The Barber DDSS (and I guess the newer DD) can get quite fat.

IMO the newer version of the Fulltone OCD (with the 500K volume knob) can give a fat tone, and can get into EJ territory with a Strat when goosed with a clean boost or a lighter OD like the Barber LTD.

The Zen can get fat enough with humbuckers, not enough IMO with single coils unless you goose it with another pedal.

10. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

Derek,

the Zen sounds plenty "fat" and "smooth" with my Mesa and Musicman humbucker equipped guitar, all set correctly! I also get plenty of "RF Dumble Rumble" in the low frequencies. Just like RF's Dumble.

Don't forget, the other components play a part too! It was Tim H who wanted to know about OD's with a comaprism to the RF tone. Tone adjectives are open to interpretation. it's all subjective. We are all on the same wavelength on this one, for sure!

DD

11. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Forgot~

Honey Bee!

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Exactly...... :AOK :D

14. stratofied

stratofied Member

15. exodus

exodus Member

klon-- moreso than any other pedal I've tried.

16. playon

playon Supporting Member

Analog Man KOT

17. ahab

ahab Member

+2 for the Fulltone OCD. Big fat tones with my Club Royal 2x12 combo.
    -Ahab

18. TimH

TimH Member

A lot of people have mentioned guitars that do this well for HB's...what about SC's? I have a fat boost on the way that I'm hoping does this somewhat...how is the eternity for both HB's and SC's?

19. erksin

erksin Member

The MI Audio Blue Boy can be a pretty fat sounding box with HBs and SCs - it's highly tweakable and can give you all the mids you want, along with a tight, full bass response.

I've owned a Hotcake, OCD, and Mosferatu. All fat in their own right - but the BB had the smoothness that the OCD lacked, the nice top end that the Hot cake was missing (too fizzy for me), and a tighter low-end than the Mosferatu. Certainly fatter/thicker than any TS pedal I've owned (lots!), and with more harmonic complexity to boot...

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

The Mosferatu is the fattest and smoothest OD I've ever used. I've played alot but not ALL the OD's out there, but so far nothing thickens and sounds as smooth through my Fender Deluxe and my Vibroluxes as the Mosferatu.I'm sure everyones assesment of fat and smooth will vary depending on what pedal was used with which guitar through which amp with what cab,speaker,and tubes, and at what volume.