What old organs have the most worthwhile tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingsxman, Oct 1, 2008.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Just curious. Usalbe 12ax7's and such.

Thanks

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

You mean like the tubes that are always stolen out of the old organs and stereo equipment that are at Goodwill?

3. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Supporting Member

Most tone wheel hammonds have at least one or two 12AX7, and a couple 12AU7s.....I have a old Conn organ that has a ton of 12AU7's....Just peak inside!:D

4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

So I go to visit this guy who has a Hammond Organ for $40,00. He asks me if I want to hear the Organ. I told him no & one will probably buy it cause of its weight & size. For $200 you can by an organ less than 20lb with a ton of voices. He agreed. I look in it and there were 3 12ax7,s they were Mullards. Two EL 84's a 5u4 rectifier,and a couple of 12au7's. I even had my tube tester. Then I said, fire it up. After 30 seconds, it still wasn't working. I asked, is something burning. One of the 12ax7's was aglow . That toasted two of the 12 ax7's but not the power tubes. I said look, it is now really toast. I paid $10,00 and got a cool reverb tank, 2-10" alnicos, And all the tubes. The amp was toasted. I gave my friend the Reverb tank. I told him my idea was to replace the one in his Blues JR. WOW WOW WOW, did that make it a lot sweeter & richer.

I suggested to him to toss all the parts and the Organ cabinet can be converted to a desk. He liked that idea.

5. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I saw a smaller Thomas organ sitting out by the road awaiting garbage pickup. So I stop to check it out and see it has cheesy speakers in it but a lot of tubes so I pull the tubes and sold them for well over a $100 on Ebay. Here they are:

[​IMG]

Jeff

6. Tone Ball

Tone Ball Member

Reproductive organs?

7. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Thomas often used Mullards. That's where I got mine. I had some EL34 out of it but they cratered. Still have the 12AX7's though.

8. BR532

BR532 Member

9. fender tele

fender tele Member

Fallopian = worthwhile....right?

10. fusion58

fusion58 Member

Now you've gone and done it - you've made me drool. :drool

Funny someone should start a thread about tubes harvested from organs - that's where most of the preamp tubes my repair guy has been using to re-tube my amps have come from lately. :AOK

11. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

What would you use the 12au7's for?

12. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

Tame down an amp with too much pre amp gain or more than enough volume but not enough headroom. :knitting

13. larimar

larimar Member

Best to check any and all out that you come across.

14. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I have a Hammond L100 that I bought cause it was $50. I don't play it very often but I guess i should go see if there are any juicy 12AX7's in there that I could borrow.

Mind you I have '64 Mullards in my #1 amp already. But still - now I'm curious.

15. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Is there anything else in these tube organs worth pulling out and selling?

Jeff

16. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I get many many tubes from old radios and organs:

Just some examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Hammond HR40 tone cabinets use TWO quartets of 6V6, plus two 5U4 rectifiers and some octal preamp tubes. Talk about underworked - each quartet is only being tasked to produce 20 watts. So they are not likely to be on their last legs.

I have a Cordovox accordion rig with a tone generator and power amp made by Lowrey Organs that has like more than 40 tubes in it, although many are odd single triodes and such. But the microphone input uses 12AX7 and the power amp has a 12AX7 driver and 7591 outputs.

Slightly OT but look for old portable reel-to-reel decks with built in speakers. I found a Webcor with some badass 12AX7 and EL84s in it.

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Wait a second. A tonewheel Hammond makes as much sense to rape for tubes (or a Leslie for that matter) as a tweed Fender. It's a killer noise maker in its own right and will be a LESSER tone maker with lesser tubes. Sure, pull tubes out of that old tuner (7 Amperex 12AU7s), that AM radio, the car stuff, maybe old PAs. But tube stereo amplifiers, Hammond organs and old amps need to keep that stuff inside them so they can continue to rock!

19. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

You will often find Sprague Black Beauty or Bumblebee capacitors in old organs, radios and TV sets.

FVB