What Orange combo is Starfield currently using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamison162, Sep 18, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I keep seeing an Orange 2x12 on the current tour and in the album insert as well, I believe. Is it an AD30 or RV50 or something else?

2. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

A buddy of mine plays bass with them, I will ask. But I know they were AC30 users for a long time so I wouldnt be a suprise if it was an AD30.

3. jamison162

Cool, my gut feeling has been AD30. I knew they had used Vox's but I just can't understand how they get all of those heavier rocking tones with the current AC30's. I'm not an AC30 fan.

If you get the chance, ask about their pedals, etc. as well. I've seen them play tele's and the Gretsch with filtertrons.

4. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

My buddy told me they are just running ac30's and fenders (pro reverb) I believe. Not filtertrons, SD Hot Rails and a gretsch T. Rose. I played with them a year ago lots on his board TS, FD, Rat, Line 6 delay, DD-20, EHX DMM, I believe tim is just running a POD XT Live. He used to use a TS 808, digital delay and reverb, etc. nothing wild.

5. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

6. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

This is apparently his setup right now. I would've sworn I saw another picture not long ago with a Diamond Memory Lane...but that could've been his old setup. As for his amp, I've been wondering the same thing for a while. They were getting a lot of Marshall-esque overdriven sounds in their I Will Go album and I definitely couldn't hear any Vox sounds in their cleans.

7. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

lol My buddy is their touring bass player, that is a random picture on a web site that could be of anything, maybe a rehearsal somewhere, it could just have been backline.

Yah he used to run a memory lane, apparently he liked the memory man better. He uses ALOT OF DELAY.

8. jamison162

What's your "buddies" name? I mean there's only 4 guys in the band.

There's a photo of that Orange combo on their website as well as in the album cover. So used it as a "prop" just to look cool? Even on Beauty on the Broken I heard som very rauncy heavier rhythm work and often wondered if they used Orange.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  9. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

maybe their studio setup is different than their road equipment? wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure.

10. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

He does have a RAT on that board of his. When I played them they used my AC30 as well.

11. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

As for recording...why play on your album when you can have a nashville player do it for you...so who knows what was recorded

12. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

One of the first things I learned when I moved to Nashville was that a lot of touring pro bands are using hired hands for bass/guitar/drums on tour. A lot of times, they aren't the guys you see in band photos, etc. It sounds weird, but it's true. Sometimes a band member gets married, or his wife has a kid, or has an illness and can't go on tour for a while...I know of one guy who screwed up his back and now he never tours with his band, they just hire a guy to play guitar on tour. Sometimes bands have a guy quit, so they hire a guy in for a while. Sometimes that guy eventually joins the band, sometimes not...but in most cases, until that guy is officially in the band, you won't see him in any band photos. I know another band (signed to a major label no less) that only has one official member, the other three are just payed per show and for recording, but they have no rights to the music, nor are they named in the recording contract etc. This isn't the most common case, but it isn't ridiculously unusual either. I had never heard of any of this kind of stuff before moving here, it's been an eye opener. I don't find it odd at all that ed_dale's friend could be playing with Starfield.

As another note, it's extremely common for bands to record with different equipment than they use on stage. Especially for bands that have bigger recording budgets, they can spend the time to get exactly the sounds they're after. The live show usually amounts to what gets them a nice middle ground, and allows for pedals to get them where they want to go. It's not a real great idea to haul around 6 amps for sounds unless you're The Edge and you have a crazy switcher.

13. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

I dont know if I should be saying his name on this forum, but his first name is james and he is in the video blogs they do and in some pics on their myspace page. He has a shaved head.