What order do you place your pedeals in?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BlackTele, Jun 21, 2008.

1. BlackTele

BlackTele Member

To get the most from your effects pedals, how do you arrange them? Wha>Compression>Vibe>Overdrive>Distortion>Delay> Flange....etc.

Also, if your amp has an effects loop, do you use it or run the chain right to the input on your amp?

2. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

we really need to sticky the answer to this question...

I cannot tell you the exact right way, but here's what I do:

Wah first, on it's own loop. Wahs are tone suckers, or at least mine is.
    Distortion/ODs next.
    GE-7 EQ pedal here. (there's the whole "EQ before dirt" crowd and the "EQ after dirt" crowd. I do what sounds best to me)
    when I find a Vibratrem it goes here.
    AD-80 Delay
    DD-3 Delay
    Verbzilla reverb
    TU-2 at the end/boost pedal

in that order. still messing with the Tuner locale.
    Booster at the end, so I don't overload/overdrive my delay pedals...
    which sounds like butt.
    I run straight in, cuz I like the way it sounds.
    a LOT of guys here have genius ideas and stuff on how to use the
    effects loop. I don't cuz I don't have the cables to experiment right now.
    Someday...
    this is just my setup, and it's probly a bit off.
    You'll get some good answers tho :D

rgp

and this post is worth every penny you paid for it.

3. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

http://www.robertkeeley.com/faq.php#Effect%20Order

That's a good place to start.

Personally, I don't use compression or much modulation, so my chain is pretty simple.

Guitar > Fuzz > Fuzz > Fuzz > Phaser > Boost> Tuner > Amp.

Oh, and (obvious, I suppose) my chain goes straight into the amp. Things like reverb and tremolo do sound nice in the loop, though.

4. monk

monk Member

I only use the effects loop for delay if I´m playing an amp with a gain channel. If the amp is clean I don´t. My vibe is a bit sensitive to loud volume in front so I use it right after my wah. Delay is always last. I don´t use reverb but it sounds best last in the chain. Some modulation effects sound better before distortion, IMO. If your overdrive is transparent and not too gainy you could use it after the distortion to increase volume for solos.
    My pedalboard:
    1. ZVEX Wah probe
    2. Keeley Compressor
    3. Retro-sonic Phaser
    4. Ibanez TS-808 Overdrive
    5. ZVEX BOR Distortion/Clean boost
    6. Fulltone Choralflange
    7. T-Rex Tremster
    8. T-Rex Replica Delay

5. tubeboy76

tubeboy76 Member

You'll want to start with your overdrive pedals. They want to see the high impedance of a guitar output and it will help with them reacting to your volume knob adjustments. If you place a buffer in front of them, they won't respond to dynamics and volume adjustments. Follow these with your modulation effects then your delays. The last two are up to you. Some people like to have their modulated signals delayed, some like their delayed signals modulated. Use your ears on this. I would put a Wah pedal before any delay though. Try to keep all pedals true bypass until the end, then place a quality buffer like a Boost n Buff at the end. This will keep your cable length from affecting your tone since the amp will only see the cable from the buffer on. True bypass is great all along the chain, but it does add to cable length and signal degradation. Think of it this way, your cable from your guitar to the pedal board + the pedals themselves (usually an effective length of 2-5 feet) + the cable from the pedal board to the amp. That can be a lot of cable. The buffer at the end will boost the signal back up to the level and impedance that the amp is used to seeing, instead of the degraded signal from too much cable. You'll find this preserves your high end and detail.

6. zachman

zachman Senior Member

[​IMG]

7. BlackTele

BlackTele Member

Thanks for the input (no pun intended). It seems like we are, for the most part, on the same page for set up. The strange thing is that my Micro Vibe seems to cut through better if it's before the overdrive,

8. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i'm guessing you have a roadie.

9. usc96

usc96 Member

Guitar => fuzz/distortion/OD => delay => tuner => chorus => amp

10. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

Here's the principle-based answer:

Frequency-based effects (wah, EQ, possibly phase shifter)
    Amplitude-based effects (compression, possibly volume, tremolo)
    Overdrives and distortions
    Time-based effects (short delay time: flange, chorus)
    Time-based (long delay time: echo, delay)
    Reverb (usually last in the chain)

Of course, there are infinite variations on these. A notable exception to this is that fuzz pedals are said to sound best at the very beginning of the chain. There are other notable exceptions and things to consider, too... trying not to be unnecessarily detailed here.

As far as the effects loop goes, most players (who use the effects loop) use time-based effects in the loop--chorus, delay, reverb... sometimes placing these effects after the preamp (of your guitar amp) makes them sound a little 'cleaner' or avoids the sometimes muddy sound of running ambient sounds like delay through the front of the guitar amp.

There's a great article about this on some manufacturer's site... maybe Keeley's site? Somebody chime in here...

Hope that helps!

11. sfletch

sfletch Member

guitar-a/b split to tuner (mute) and effects, which are....-Boss CS3-OCD-AC Booster-Boss Dimension C-MXR Carbon Copy-RC Booster.

It changes a bit depending on if I'm using a 1 or 2 channel amp, sometimes the delay and chorus are in the effects loop, but a lot of the time I just want to be able to set up quickly, so it's pretty simple.

basically, I've always heard it "should" go: filter, dynamics, drive, modulation. I find that having some sort of boost early (for extra gain) and some sort of boost late (for extra volume) adds a lot of flexibility. There's nothing lamer than solos you can't hear....except rhythm parts that are too loud and drown out the singer....

12. pbone

pbone Member

Diamond Compressor
    AM Sun Face
    AM Peppermint Fuzz
    Eternity, being replaced by a Timmy
    1987 RAT
    Moog Low Pass Filter
    Moog Analog Delay.

13. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

wah
    fuzz
    rotovibe
    delay
    amp or amps
    beer

14. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

15. amoodymule

amoodymule Member

[​IMG]

wah
    boost
    dirt boost
    chorus
    tuner
    pog
    echo
    1st row is backwards, but it works for me as I set my mic next to the wah and it's easier to tap dance with right foot :NUTS

www.myspace.com/souprocks

16. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Tuner -> Wah -> grit dirt -> nasty dirt -> AMP

effects send -> chorus -> vibe -> delay -> effects return

I was using that chain without the effects loop, and it was ok but didn't "sparkle". Now, cleans are better, but I saw the most improvement in the 'grit' stage (usually a Keeley BD-2). It opened up and breathes much better. Modulation & delay effects are more "pure".

How's that for subjective??