What order to put Quad E34L's in my dual rec.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by destro718, Jan 26, 2008.

1. destro718

destro718 Member

This maybe a stupid question however I never changed tubes in an amp before and I'm a bit nervous since this is a 1500 amp. I have a dual rectifier 3 channel. I ordered the Mesa High Gain tube kit from Eurotubes.com (awesome site btw).

It comes with a quad of E34L's. Is there a specific order to put the Quad in? Or since it's a Quad it doesn't. I've heard with Matched pairs you have to put them a certain way.

And also should I change the fuse since im changing the tubes. I bought the head in '03 and I haven't changed anything on it. The tubes and fuse are stock.

Thanks.

2. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

If it's a property matched quad, and from Eurotubes (he knows what tubes you need and picked them specifically for your amp), just drop them in and be happy.

If your amp is working, and not blowing fuses, just leave it. Unless it's somehow got all rusty or corroded (which I doubt), I'm sure it's perfectly fine.

Just drop your tubes in there and enjoy.

3. destro718

destro718 Member

Thanks a lot man. I appreciate the response. I'm gonna install them tonight.

Thanks again.

4. jbird

jbird Member

Umm, not so fast:nono: Tubes will come in pairs, and thus, should be placed in the amp as pairs! Like this: 1-2-2-1.:AOK

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Even if you want to call them a matched "pair of pairs" they will all be matched to each other so theres no real "pairs"-its a matched quad.Place them in whatever spot you like. Bob

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

+1 That's why they're called a "matched quad".

7. jbird

jbird Member

Thus, my answer!

It's just a general rule of thumb, that I'd live by!

8. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

since you bought a quad.. I am sure Bob @ eurotubes matched the quad.. pair them up? sure you can. but, i really doubt even matching pairs of a quad you can tell the difference from just putting them in any location blindly

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

They arent two of a kind-they are four of a kind. Matched properly each indistingishable from the other.

10. jbird

jbird Member

Ya, understood! But he did ask about matched pairs!

BTW, if he plans on saving those old tubes for emergency backups, I'd keep 'em paired up like this: 1-2-2-1 or [1-1] & [2-2]! So in this manner, I would'nt just take 'em out in any blind fashion as recommended putting the new ones in. Best to work methodically IMHO!

11. destro718

destro718 Member

Yeah they are a perfectly matched Quad from Eurotubes. I kept my old tubes and in the same order that they were in there.

I'm glad I did too. As i was working the new tube in and out of the socket (bob recommends this to clean the sockets) I snapped off the guide pin. It was a very brittle piece of plastic and it took me a few mins to get it out of the socket. I finally did and I had to put my old tubes in again. I did get all the pre-amp tubes installed. So there was an improvement in clarity and gain. But I want my E34L sound. So it's back to waiting for another tube.

I have to see if I can get another tube that will match that quad i ordered. If not its back to pairs.

Thanks for all the advice...

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If you align it properly you can still use the tube with the broken guide pin-if you align it properly! You can also buy a "replacement keyway" from
    here-
    http://www.tubesandmore.com/?OVRAW=vacuum tubes&OVKEY=vacuum tube&OVMTC=standard

Click on tube accessorie> adapters. Bob