What order would you place these in...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PeaElAre, Feb 9, 2012.

1. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

What are your guys' thoughts on how I should place the following?:

Vox wah
    Digitech Whammy IV (modded w/ true bypass)
    Klon Centaur (buffer)
    T1M always-on Booster
    EB volume

I also have a TC Nova System in the amp's FX loop which will be replaced by the Timeline when it arrives. Should I keep that in the loop or put it in line w/ the rest? If the latter, it'll be at the end of the line. I'm inclined to put it in the loop.

2. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

3. bettset

bettset Member

use your ears. you will hear differences with different placements. i run 8 effects, & i can hear where they should be. when i swap out a vibe for another, they can end up in a different spot :munch

4. terrapin

terrapin Member

Vox wah
    Klon
    Volume pedal
    Whammy

Leave the T1M off......IMO you do NOT need it.

Timeline in loop or at end of the chain is your call.

5. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

6. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Bettset is right. It just depends. Think of each pedal as a tool and ask yourself what you want it to do. This will often tell you where to put it.

The Whammy - I know what this does, but have no experience with it, so it's a bit of a wild card. My guess is that it would go after dirt, but it could sound best before. I can't give you much help with that one.

Wah - I prefer Wah before dirt, but some like it better after. Before dirt it the wah seems to blend with the dirt and the peaks it creates will interact with the dirt. After dirt, it will tend to dominate the sound more (to me it sounds thinner and more trebly after dirt).

Boost - depends on what you want it to do. Since it is always on, I'm assuming maybe it should go last, but it depends on what you are trying to accomplish with it. What did you get the boost to do for your rig? This will usually determine where it goes. Obviously it will boost the signal into whatever comes next, in some pedals, this could cause them to distort. This can be good (to boost a dirt pedal for more gain) or unwanted (causing a delay to clip for instance).

Klon - If you are using this for dirt, it would probably go after the wah. This would also give you a buffer in your second pedal which would help with any loading from pedals or cables that come after it (but you don't have many pedals, so this probably isn't much of an issue). If you are using it more as a clean boost to push your amp it could go at the end of the chain.

Volume Pedal - Again, what do you want it to do? If you put it last it will change the volume of the signal going into the amp, but it shouldn't have any effect on the other pedals. If it goes before any pedals that react differently depending on volume, you can use the volume pedal to control that interaction.

Don't know if any of that helps. You'll have to experiment, but maybe that will give you some things to think about as you do. Some types of pedals have a more obvious place in the chain, but most of yours (again don't know about the Whammy) don't. They can be used in various places depending on what you want to accomplish.

7. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

I decided to go with this for now and I loved it...

Wah > Whammy > Klon > EBVP > T1M > amp

Whammy only gets used for very particular things but frequently enough that I need to keep it on the board or else it wouldn't even be there. I'm just glad I got the TB mod on it. I've head that it's good to have buffer before and after an EBVP so that's why I went Klon in front and T1M after. T1M, since it's always on, is there for a final "cleanup" before the amp, which does its job well.

I'm a newb to the whole Klon thing...as the best OD pedal I've ever used prior to this was a Digitech Tonedriver (the Klon isn't mine). I haven't actually had an OD pedal on my board for a couple years so I'm building from the ground up. I feel like I'm relearning all of this again, which is good.

Thanks to all for the input.