What other delay can do the Deluxe Memory Man warble (modulation)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by orogeny, Apr 6, 2008.

1. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I think the title says it all. . .

. . . as much as I've tried, though. . . the DD20 ain't it. Meanwhile, the DD20 ain't going nowhere. . . .

Eventide?

. . .back to the DL4? blech. . . don't get me started. . .

Nova?

. . . or is there really nothing that does it?

NOT the fast modulation. . . the WARBLE. . . the subtle floating that occurs. . . you know the thing. . .

2. DaveukRN

DaveukRN Member

have a look at the Earthquaker Disaster Transport

3. steinwand

steinwand Member

+1 disaster transport

maybe retroman KopyCat does the warble not by itself but has a dedicated
    effects loop where you can put in chorus, phaser and the likes ...

4. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

Check out the Diamond Memory Lane. I have one, have used Memory Mans, and think the Memory Lane is a great analog delay. Pure analog signal, great modulation, tap tempo, and an effects loop. It has two modes - "mod" and "tap". In mod mode, the modulation is very thick, but the tap tempo is disabled. In tap mode, the modulation is not as prominent. I love this pedal, but it can only do 550 ms delay (same as a Memory Man I think). If you're used to digital delays, 550 ms may not be long enough for you. I hardly run into problems with the ML's delay time, but some people want the ML to be an all-encompassing delay since it has tap tempo, and get frustrated by its short delay.

Before owning the Memory Lane, I had only used a DL4. Needless to say, the first time I used the ML left me in awe. So much more depth than any digital delay or any analog emulation. I have since AB'ed the ML with a Memory Man, and feel like the ML is a Memory Man on steroids. Yes, the Memory Man has an incredibly unique sound, but a Memory Lane is very close, is much more flexible, is built like a tank, and isn't as noisy as a Memory Man. On the other hand, it is very pricey.

5. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

The echo park has that effect, but I do not know if it is an accurate copy, to your ears.

The "Mod" knob adds or removes a different modulation type, depending on what emulation mode you are in:

Analog has Vibrato
    Digital has Chorus
    Tape has Wow & Flutter

Give a listen and see if it does what you are looking for. If not you can always return it. :)

6. OccTone

OccTone Supporting Member

Try the TECH 21 BOOST D.L.A it is great:)

7. PlumBob

PlumBob Member

The Blackbox Quicksilver is pretty impressive. The modulation sounds great at lower delay time settings. At higher delay times, it get a little exaggerated. But so does the DMM come to think of it.

8. Franktone

Franktone Member

Yeah, I really the Blackbox Quicksilver, and also the timeline. On together at the same time, in series, on delays between 6oo ms to 800 ms, makes quite a sound too, with both modulations going.

9. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I had both a disaster transport and a DMM... the DT is VERY VERY good at doing the modulation sound on the DMM. Much more useable range in the modulation controls. Mod is also footswitchable which is cool.

Only reason I got rid of it was because the repeats were too lo-fi and i missed my DMM. The DT sounded like the repeats were exploding instead of melting away.

10. Franktone

Franktone Member

I tried the disaster transport, and it is quite good for the money. Jamie said that the next batch will be set to unity for no extra volume gain when turned on and the switch pops will be gone. It definitely has great modulation. To me the Quicksilver and timeline are better, but much more expensive. The disastor transport is an excellent deal and has great sound.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Never heard a memoryman in person so I have no point of reference but you aren't digging that mod delay patch I dialed in for you on the DD-20? I have a variation dialed in on mine and its quite nice with plenty of warble considering the limitations of the modulation on the DD-20 (it was an afterthought imo). Give me another 10 minutes and I'll get you something nice even if it doesn't sound like a memoryman.

12. bargeruns

bargeruns Member

I like the Echo Park a lot for the versatility and I think the modulation is pretty good, if you're looking for something a little more subtle and natural I'd check out the Marshall Echohead if you can find one, it has a very warm analog setting plus a nice fluttery tape setting.

13. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

The MXR Carbon Copy, though its much more subtle. Mr. Tripp has documented a one resistor swap that will make it much more in your face. Awesome pedal!

14. drod2045

drod2045 Member

theres youtube clip of the quicksilver compared to the DMM by TGP Curehardy...that showed me tht the quicksilver nearly identical to the DMM (judging by comp speaker/recording)

needless to say, im waiting for a used quicksilver to show up...or get a DD-7

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

joe - the memory man in person is a beautiful thing. i'm surprised you've never heard one. . . . i'm just wondering if there is something ELSE that can do it. those units are quite variable, finicky, and take up WAY too much space. it would be a nice sound to record with though. . . awesome. it's like melting a tremolo into the delay. . . . hmmmm, maybe i could figure that out. . . . curehardy had a great video demonstrating the vintage dmm. vs. current. he had some excellent 'vibrato' going in it that was very tape-like. I think he removed it though. . . . wow and flutter. . . hmm. . . maybe the echo park is worth another look. it's certainly a MUCH cheaper option than a DMM. . . . curehardy: put that vid back up!!!!!!!!!!disaster sounds pretty popular round here. . . also curious about the tech 21. . . i guess this is not a selling feature for the nova or the eventide? surprised, i guess.thanks all

16. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

lol ... i'll put it back up when i get home today.

disaster transport has awesome DMMish modulation.

the quicksilver has a much better tone than the DT though ...

17. woude

woude Member

echopark comes close at certain settings

18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Mike, Take your leslie setting and make the delay time 500 ms. That should give you plenty of warble. Sounds like chorus + trem on the repeats.

19. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I heard it also has really adjustable trimpots on the inside to fix the mod to your specs.

20. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member