What other dirt pedals are you using with your Hot Cake?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Charles#5, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I got a Hot Cake a couple of weeks ago and was wondering what boost/OD/distortion pedals you are using before and/or after your Hot Cake.

Cheers,

Johan.

:RoCkIn

2. T-bone

T-bone Member

HotCake -> Honey Bee -> DrZ Z28
    The Z28 is my main sound - Honey bee for cleaner solos- Honey Bee and HotCake for higher gain solos.
    The 2 together are magic-notes just bloom/sing. Hard to describe but certain notes on the guitar just take off and scream.

3. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

It depends, but here are a few:

Favorite combos:

1. Hotcake / Klon - though I'm on a Klon strike, so I don't have the Klon
    2. Hotcake / Catalinbread S.P.P - great combo, very fat
    3. Hotcake / Fulldrive 2 - VERY fat
    4. Hotcake / Original run Barber DD - tons of sweet harmonics

Numbers 3 and 4 I use the Hotcake as a level booster, and get my OD from the other pedal. Numbers 1 and 2, the Hotcake is the OD, and the other pedals are working as boosters.

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I never run my Hotcake over 10:30 on the gain knob and set it for just a slight volume boost...tone knob is almost always all the way off or just slightly on.
    With this setting I've had luck goosing other pedals like the HotBritish or Keeley modded DS1,BD and Rat. But the best sound is just hitting an already pumping amp hard.
    I've never heard a better pedal for making the low strings of my tele pop.;) 10,000 lb. twang!

Bob

5. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

A good friend of mine always would run it along with his Analog Man modded TS9. He has always come up with some rather great results for an extra overdriven tone, when he really needs to rock. Kind of like a Jimmy Herring-ish type sound.

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I've praised this combo on this forum many times before, but it just sounds so great, I have to do it again.. COT 50 goosing the Hot Cake, COT 50 with the bias set at about minimum and Hot Cake with the gain at 1 oclock. If you havent heard this sound you dont know what the word woody means! :)

Cake works nicely with the SCOD as well, even though there's not much point. It sounds like a laser beam having the COT, Cake and SCOD on at the same time..

One pedal that the Cake didnt work well with was the Fulltone OCD. Both sounded great on their own but togeter it was a disaster. Only tried this very quickly though but didnt seem to work.. Maybe they both try to do the same thing and cancel each other out?

Just heading for band practise, the COT and Cake are getting stomped on big time again..

7. jops

jops Member

I run a Hellbilly into the Hotcake with good results.

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Oh, how could I forget this: another dirt pedal that works really well with the Hot Cake is the Hot Cake :)

Two of them stack nicely and right now I'm drooling over the double hot cake.

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

ZVex Super Duper 2 in 1 -> Hotcake

10. humbert

humbert Member

using a Hotcake around noon, looking for another overdrive to put into it, but one that I can use stand alone, that has some features (unlike COT 50) and has some bite and chunk (unlike Honey Bee).

Anyone got a suggestion? Maybe a Timmy?

My apologies if I've misdescribed or slandered COT 50 or HoneyBee - I admit I've never played either, this is just my impression of their sound.

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Humbert, how a bout a great sound for a feature? COT is very flexible..try one. I find the volume to be perfect for my uses, and I'm really happy that I dont have to tinker with it. Ofcourse if I didnt use it for general drive purposes then maybe a volume knob would be nice.. The tone seems perfect as well. I love devices with great sound and with as few controls as possible. Leaves you more time to think about your playing and also your sound actually!

I use the COT standalone and with the Cake with remarkable results!!
    The COT is my basic od tone for the moment and I dont see a change coming.. I use it at low bias, but it does a perfect fuzz face as well with high setting. And it cleans up really well, so there are lots of places to go. It's a players pedal (well I hope I was a player :))

I am not a great one for "features" I admit, that's why I'll select a tele over variax anyday :)

12. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Hotcake--->Tim(boost for solos)----> Matchless SC-30

Ballsy.

13. jops

jops Member

Wow! Found another good one Hotacke into a Prunes and Custard or vice versa... Saturated.

14. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The Hotcake is friendly with the Hellbilly and Hellbaby. Sadly, I sold my Hotcake. Happily, it will be replaced by a Bluesberry or Double Hotcake (Double Bluesberry? Bluesberry Custard?)... Great pedal! It loves the Carmen Ghia...

15. asdf

asdf Member

I've tried stacking it with a Timmy and loved the results I got. Using the Timmy as a low od and the Hotcake for leads I came up with some nice think sustainy tones that were really nice.

16. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone tried a Hotcake with an RC Booster?