What other effects/plugins do you use along with Helix Native in your DAW tracks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by denmalley, Aug 5, 2019.

1. denmalley

denmalley Silver Supporting Member

I've been working on an album with my band, pretty much all dry tracked with Helix Native applied. With all of the compression/eq/etc available within Native itself, is there any need to look for other plugins to use alongside it? I guess intuitively it seems like I should be treating this like a regular mic'ed amp deal, but with all the extras you can add to the signal chain within Native, I'm not so sure I need to worry about anything further. Opinions?

2. Rewolf

Rewolf Member

Personally I find that the lack of visual feedback is limiting in Native, so I set up the rig and effects in Native but reserve post mic EQ and compression to later in the mix such as on the group bus.

3. primemover12

primemover12 Member

Typically, not much else on individual tracks until mixing. Then, I'll add CLA compressors (LA-2A on strumming, LA-3A on leads), and an EQ. If I'm using multiple tracks for a given part (like a Marshall and a Vox for a solo), I'll keep the individual tracks pretty dry in Helix and then send both to a reverb bus to kinda glue them together.

If I want to stop one track from stepping on another, I'll add side chain compression here too.

At mastering, I'll add EQ, stereo widening, multiband compression, and limiting to the entire song.

4. Billinder33

Billinder33 Member

iZotope Neutron is my go-to channel strip for EQ/Comp/Transient/etc.

For adding some tape saturation I'll sometimes use AirWindows ToTape or Acustica Taupe instead if the onboard sat in Neutron. Acustica Pink for API style EQ is great on guitars, Acustica Lime for Neve style EQ.

I sometimes like AirWindows non-linear reverb to add some distance to a guitar. Otherwise Acustica Ebony is my go-to verb.

5. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

UAD Studer Tape plug-in, eq, reverb and compression. I find using these other plugins can make it 'glue' in the nix better.

Also for effects you can use two instances of Native in the same channel and put whatever you like between the amp and the cab if that floats your boat.
    Only real limits are your plug-ins, CPU and imagination.

6. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Just from the top of my head; doesn't include softsynths that also process incoming audio:
    • Celemony Melodyne Editor
    • Eventide H3000
    • iZotope Iris, Stutter Edit, Trash 2, Neutron, Ozone Imager
    • Lexicon PCM Native Reverb
    • Oeksound Soothe, Spiff (these two have totally saved my mess of a record)
    • Scuffham S-Gear
    • SoundToys 5
    • Steven Slate FGX
    • Universal Audio (30-40 plugs?)
    • Waves Diamond Bundle, SSL 4000 Bundle
    • XFer Records LFO Tool
    • Another dozen or so I've forgotten

Intimo and Aquinas like this.
  7. Aquinas

Aquinas Silver Supporting Member

Oh dear god, more than I can remember or list here. Some "go-to's", not including virtual instruments (which would be a much longer list):

• FabFilter Pro-Q/C/R/DS/G/L and Saturn, Timeless
    • 2cAudio Aether, Breeze, and B2
    • Valhalla DSP VintagVerb, Room, Plate, Delay, UberMod
    • Scuffham S-Gear
    • Amplitube 4
    • iZotope Trash, Ozone, Neutron, RX
    • Polyverse Music I Wish, Gatekeeper, Manipulator
    • Celemony Melodyne
    • Kush Audio UBK-1, Pusher
    • Zynaptiq UnVeil, UnFilter, UnChirp
    • U-He Presswerk, Satin, Twangstrom
    • The Native Instruments effects included with Komplete Ultimate (actually pretty damn good, overall)
    • Buncha Waves stuff (that I don't actually use much anymore)
    • ...I could keep going, but that is the stuff I reach for right now outside things built into DAWs. There are a bunch more I've bought but don't really use anymore.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Eventide Utrachannel.
    Soundstoys Echoboy
    Soundtoys Little Plate.

9. Sleezy E

Sleezy E Member

I always use a reverb bus for all the guitar tracks to share and sometimes I'll use a separate compressor for clean guitars so I can visually see hard hard I'm hitting it but that's about it

10. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

Waves SSL Channel strip, H-Delay and H-Reverb, Ozone for limiting and multiband comp, stock Reaper plugs are also great

11. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Quite often I track with the Helix, but reamp later with Helix Native using the DI track. Regardless of which one, they both get a massaging from the UAD Ocean Way plugin to give it a bit of 3D amp in the room tone. Much like using Drum Room mics. That's printed as a separate track bussed in with the other guitar tracks to a guitar aux. Typical chain would be Tape Sim, EQ, Comp, by some other Console/MicPre emulation. I have my usual plugin chain but again depending on what I'm after that might change. eg. an LA2 for an LA3 or Distressor. Depending on the number of guitar tracks, they all get bussed to a master guitar buss that usually has an SSL G Buss Comp. I like the sound of it majority of the time. Effects are applied according to the mix notes. Once I'm done in a blind listening you'd only be random guessing than being able to specifically choose which might be real or initially modeled in a mix context.

The Ocean Way really adds the secret sauce in my playbook currently. I recently finished mixing a record for Frontiers Music/Records for I guess you could call it somewhat of a supergroup of players from big bands. They used tons of real amps along with Kempers. The Kempers just always sounded much harsher in the tracking. Some tone smearing and UAD Ocean Way blended them in very nicely with the real amps.

12. stujomo

stujomo Member

I record with the HX stomp or headrush both wet and dry tracks, I try to set up the modelers so the wet track is what I really want but sometimes I might use the dry track with Helix Native if I want to change the guitar sound.
    I use Waves SSL channel strip or Waves omni channel plugins, sometimes I use the NSL plugins too.
    I have waves F6 for eq the waves CLA comps and some of the free plugins I got on a computer magazine if I need them.
    I've collected too many plugins over the years and probably don't use over half of them.
    These days I try to use as few plugins as possible and will often refine my mixes trying to get away with less plugins if I can. I really believe that less is more when it comes to plugins.
    I try to avoid too much master compression and limiting also.
    Sometimes I will try and do the whole mix with just the omni channel or SSL channel plugins with just the SSL Buss comp on the master.
    What I have noticed is that regardless of what plugins I use the mix ends up sounding pretty much the same as I tend to have an idea or sound in my head of what the track should sound like.

danieloux likes this.