1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

What other recording equipment is necessary?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by AdamRandall, May 15, 2011.

1. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

I've tried recording on and off with my Tascam DP-02, but I've had some issues with it.

1: Basically zero vocals get picked up on a mic going into it unless I turn the gain up all the way, but then it picks up everything in the house.
    I'm using an AKG D 9000.

2: I have a similar issue with my acoustic guitar, but turning up the gain makes it overly trebley and unpleasant.

3: When I input the files to my computer, they're in a weird file format, which I then have to convert, and they get imported at an even lower volume, which means I have to up the volume, which creates unbearable hiss.

Basically, I can't get any good sounds recorded, and I'm completely unfamiliar with recording. What am I doing wrong?

2. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Well for starters i should mention, are you using an XLR-XLR cable? Mainly because there's likely to be a lot less gain if you're plugging in with a 1/4" cable, and most pre's go funny around the max point...if you ARE however using an XLR-XLR then maybe it would be worthwhile just moving over to a computer and an interface seeing as you're inputting the files onto the computer anyway...

3. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

The original point when I got it was because I didn't have a decent computer to run anything on. I was using xlr-xlr, but even if that does fix it, there are still other problems.

what does good quality recording software usually run? Also, anything I could program drum beats in would be great as well. I've literally sat down recording drum tracks with a keyboard because I didn't have any other options and was broke.

4. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

5. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Yeh same with me, i started out with a Korg PXR4 at once stage because my computer wasn't upto scratch. On the cheap i'd stick with reaper, but its all dependent on what computer you actually have (i mean PC or Mac, most computer's made over the last 4 years will work).

Reaper - free to try for 30 days, $40 for license
    EZ Drummer - drum software...there's free versions, there's lite versions, and i think the full version was $249 but is on special from time to time.

Interfaces at any price...depends on what you can afford and what you're going for

6. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

How do you hook up a mic and guitar to the computer?

7. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

With an audio interface via USB or Firewire, like i said before they're available at more or less any price...sounds like you'd only need a 2 channel one, so USB will probably be the go. I used a Lexicon Lambda at one stage, it was pretty good and cheap too, most interfaces come with some form of recording software too

8. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

9. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Yes, the interface will have an xlr in and phantom power.
    You really need to just ditch the tascam and go with a recording program.
    I have a Cakewalk Sonar 2.2 program id sell for $80.00. I upgraded to Sonar 8. It does not sound any better than 2, just more editing options that go mostly unused.
    Pm me if you want it.