1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

What output transformer for my '74 Fender Vibrolux Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by MrBluesStrat, May 24, 2011.

1. MrBluesStrat

MrBluesStrat Member

I need a new output transformer for my 1974 Fender Vibrolux Reverb!
    Which company you can recommend?
    Mercury? Hammond? ...
    I want to get as close as possible to the original Sound!!!
    Is a Mercury Transformer the best decision?
    Are they really very close to the original?

I'M GRATEFUL FOR ANY HELP !!!
    THANKS!!!!

ps if someone has an original 74' Vibrolux output transformer - i will buy it!!!

2. trancedental

trancedental Member

http://www.classictone.net/40-18006.html

Got one of these resonably priced Magnetic multi tap OT's in my DR 6G16 type build & sounds more than good enough to me.Also it sounded better than a Marvel OT I had in there beforehand to try out.

The Hammonds are reputed to have more of a HiFi sound & the Mercury's supposedly sound good but are expensive but I've not heard either. Hopefully someone with experience will give us a reply?

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  3. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

4. twangbanger

twangbanger Member

:agree Good trannies , great price.

5. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

Give Mercury a shout. They don't offer an exact replacement for the (silverface) Vibrolux Reverb (AA270 circuit) online, but may offer one on special order basis. Keep in mind that most transformers offered on the market for the Vibrolux Reverb are to Blackface spec and will work with great success in the Silverface circuit and that's the direction most techs go with.

Personally, I prefer the Heyboer, but the Maercury's aren't a slouch by any stretch of the imagination.

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Plus one... Allen's are very nice.

7. trancedental

trancedental Member

8. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Hammond. If you want the original tone.If you want thicker and bassier,go Mercury or Allen.
    I installed an MM OT on a deluxe reverb and while it sounded great when driving the amp hard,it lost chime and high end by quite a bit.
    The Hammond guitar line of transformers are great sounding to my ears and closer to the original.

9. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I've used Classictone (triode electronics) and Hammonds (from tubesandmore.com) and been happy with both for Fenders. First for a Vibro Champ, 2nd for a Dual Showman. Both ends of the extreme.

10. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

I've used (and been entirely happy with) Hammond, Mag Components, Allen/Heyboer, and Edcor. All are decently priced, do the job, and have given me no issues. Look at the specs for any replacement tranny you consider and match them to what you have. Most imortantly, input impedence and output. Now look in your wallet. Can you afford it? :)

11. mxvin

mxvin Member

I can vouch for the TO40MT. It made in the USA by Heyboer. Giood stuff. I just put one in a Bandmaster Reverb I am modding to like a Vibroclone type thing. Sounds very good with just preliminary test playing. Can't wait to get the 1x15 cab and get all together.

12. MrBluesStrat

MrBluesStrat Member

13. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

I can speak for the TO35MT (also by Heyboer). I have one in my Accomplice and it sings.

14. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Mercury and Heyboer have been great. Never had good luck with the Hammonds. IMO, they sound least like the original.