What overdrive pedal for these tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phosphenetre, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

I've been chasing a certain kind of edge-of-breakup and bluesy mild overdrive sound in my head, and I've been looking for pedals (probably Amp-In-A-Box style pedals to run into a clean Fender Twin) that attempt to cop this sound.

Instead of making matters confusing and abstract with a verbal description, I thought audio examples that best describe what I'm looking for would make more sense.

Here are two examples of what I'm looking for, at two gain levels - both Wayne Krantz, one a cleaner, spankier tone, and the other rounder and more saturated.

• Krantz's tone on this David Binney song, from around 1:50 and on. I know he's into 'Marshall' style amps, but I'm not sure what kind

These tones (setting aside other variables like the guitar) are something I'd really want to add to my pedalboard.

2. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

Maybe it's just a playing style that I associate with "dumble", but I hear those and that's what I think. So, some sort of dumble in a box? There's lots of them and, despite the fact that some of them cost an obscene amount of money, they mostly sound the same - just a smooth overdrive. Find one for a reasonable amount of money and try it out, see if it gets you close.

3. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

4. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Wow, Dumble, really?

That's surprising, because I have a Jetter GS124, which is generally regarded as one of the better Dumble pedals, and I don't think it really sounds like this, especially the tone in David Binney tune. I thought that sounded much more low-gain Marshall-esque?

The tones in both clips I posted are a bit different from each other, I'm aware, so it'd be great if I could get suggestions on both, if they both can't really be achieved by the same sort of pedal/gear.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

The lead stuff? Any TS into a Twin should get you that. Turn up the Drive a bit (maybe all the way depending on the TS, you pickups and how clean the Twin is), pull back the Tone a bit depending how bright you are and hit should be there. If you want a more Marshall flavor the Snouse Black Box/JTM 45. Original Bluesbreaker clone (Drive 3 o'clock to full up). But both of those clips sound more TS smooth to me.

6. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

I'd never have thought of a TS for this kind of stuff, although my experience with TSes used as an OD is limited - I almost always use them as clean lead boosts.

Would you be talking about the first or second clip in my original post, though?

7. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The GS124 definitely has more of a "rock" tone to it than the Simble does. Every Dumble was different (on purpose) and #124 is the tone they were going after w/ the GS124. I can't remember which one the Simble is based on, but the dude that built it A/B'd his real Dumble head against his Simble pedal in a YouTube video. I'm too lazy to find and link, so just search the youtube.

I was going for the low-gain breakup thing so I kept the Simble and sold the GS124 to a buddy. He loves it and it hasn't left his board. I love the Simble, and it hasn't left my board. They're both great, just different.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

I was talking about both. They're not that drastically different to my ear. But that semi-compressed, warm, smooth with a bit of bite sound calls to mind TS for me. Others might differ.

9. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I finally decided to just e-mail Krantz himself, hoping for a reply. He replied within minutes, and here is what he said about the gear for the two tones samples I posted earlier (post #5 of this thread).

"The Binney solo was w/ a fender twin the studio had. I think I used a boost pedal on that, nothing else. Pretty clean.

How the west, I used my marshall 2553. I might have used a Wampler distortion pedal too- I think I did- and a delay of some kind. That one I did at home."

The Wampler pedal he's referring to is the Pinnacle, as he mentioned in an interview, describing using his fingers and the guitar volume rolled down, in addition.

The tone in the first solo is rather straightforward to get to, but I'm looking for suggestions on what overdrive pedal into a Fender Twin-style amp would get the sound of the second solo (the Marshall 2553 + Wampler Pinnacle combo).

I almost always get Fender Twins as backline on gigs, so I'm trying to construct my rig around that.