What overdrive pedal for this tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by VintageOscar, Apr 20, 2016.

1. VintageOscar

VintageOscar Member

There is this tone I've been trying to get for years.

What overdrive pedal would achieve that singing, fat cleanish sound? It's like the high strings are thick and singing, yet remaining clear on the low strings. Listen especially to the bend at 0:09.

Ignore the fact that it is Silver Jubilee. I actually own a Jube and it sounds nothing like that. It's way more buzzy and thin. Just listen to the clip, and try to imagine what pedal would reproduce that sound.

Thanks in advance!

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

That sounds pretty compressed to me. Might want to try a compressor.

3. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Does someone make a Klone with extended top end? The Boiling Point might do it ... -E

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'd be more worried about why my amp doesn't sound like that one than trying to find a bandaid to fix it.

coltonius likes this.
  5. VintageOscar

VintageOscar Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with my amp. Mine sounds like this, which is how Jubilees tradionally sound like:

It is a great tone, but I really enjoyed the smooth, thick tone in the first clip. Therefore, I was wondering if there is pedal I can plug in to my Jubilee, instead of relying on its LED clipping alone.

vashondan likes this.
  6. HaloMaster

HaloMaster Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to be honest and say that amp probably sounds that way do to the way it's recorded. It sounds like the recording is adding a lot of compression. I bet it sounded a lot different live! Just my guess.

7. VintageOscar

VintageOscar Member

Exactly my point! I don't really care how it sounded live. I like the tone in the clip, and that's what I want to achieve. Forget that it's a Jubilee and that I own one. Just listen to the first clip. What pedal could possibly get me that tone?

8. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

you might consider a Prince of Tone or Amptweaker Fat Rock

9. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Seriously. Volume maxed, tone to taste, gain off or around 8 o'clock.

Sir Nicholas likes this.
  10. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Remember, though, that you have a 5w/20w New Jubilee Mini. They really can't get to what the 25/50 or 50/100 Jubilees did. That first clip actually does sound like a traditional Jubi at proper settings with the Digiverb mentioned in the YT clip listing.

11. RockNote

RockNote Member

The youtuber put this in his description:

"This is my 60s Strat played straight into the Jubilee with no pedals. I am running a Digitech Digiverb through the effects loop of the amp (the pedal is sitting on top as you can see). A little too much reverb though sorry. It's not as much live and in person."

So, the "cleanish" aspect comes from the lack of pedals.

12. VintageOscar

VintageOscar Member

For the record, I have the old 2550 top from 1987, with a 2x12 cab loaded with vintage 30s, but that doesn't matter. Let me rephrase the question: what kind of pedal plugged into a JCM type Marshall would get me the sort of tone he has in the clip? Some have recommended different Klon clones, and I will definitely check that out.

13. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Member

Alexander Pedals Jubilee Silver Overdrive

hippieboy likes this.
  14. msoleno

msoleno Supporting Member

The first clip sounded like much less gain than the demos on the long demo, also the EQ is much more mids/low end. He has a ton of reverb as well which is adding to the tone. But what sticks out as far as tone to me, it has a characteristic sound my 60 strat has that none of my other strats have. It comes from the rosewood fretboard, and the pickups. The nice thick tone from that bend you like isn't from a pedal, it's from pushing the amp. A lot of times you can get a much better tone with less gain and more volume, so you have less saturation and a natural overdrive from the amp.

15. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

I know what you are looking for and understand your question. Unfortunately the answer is not simple, and it may not be the answer you want to hear, but I hope you will take the time to read this.

An OD or distortion pedal by itself does not have a sound. The sound you get will depend on a lot of factors, and I mean a lot. First of all what you hear in that clip is not the sound of the amp by itself, it is the sound you hear through the mic. I have done this many times with my iPhone. I record a clip and I'm surprised by how the tone I hear with my amp in the room is not the same as what I hear on the recording.

Next, the settings of the amp make a difference. You could buy one of the pedals that people recommend, but that doesn't mean it will work. How is the amp setup? Is it loud? Is it soft? Breaking up? Crystal clean?

Which guitar are you using? Is it the same as the guy in the vid? Do you play like he does? Same pickups? Same strings? Same amp tubes? Playing at the same volume? Is it the same speaker?

In other words, there is no one right pedal any one of us can recommend which will get you exactly that sound in that clip. Too many variables.

Ultimately here is what I recommend. Do you even need a pedal? Can you achieve the sound you want simply by adjusting your amp settings. Before you say yes, truly ask yourself this question. For example, have you turned the amp volume way up along with the gain and then back off your volume on the guitar?

If you really feel you need a pedal, then you have to get your hands dirty and try some different pedals. And you have to try different settings not only on the pedal, but on your guitar and amp as well.

I know you want to get a pedal and be done with it. Voila, you have your perfect desired tone. But to be honest, I don't find that as fun as experimenting and trying and failing at different things.

As a last observation, I love the tone of David Gilmour. He uses Hiwatt amps and I use Mesa Boogie. I got tones that are similar to his not only by playing with my amp settings and guitar volume knob settings, but I had to readjust my technique on guitar. And I've done this using a Boss BD-2 pedal into my Mesa. But I had to adjust my amp settings accordingly. And my technique has to change a bit in order to get that special sound.

If you have read this whole thing, I appreciate you doing so. It may not be the answer you want, but it is the reality of making music and playing guitar. And I think this is a good thing.

16. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

17. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Some sort of compression is happening. You can hear the reverb bloom as the compression lets up. To me it sounds a little Dumblish. The amp not a pedal. A compressir in the loop might give you a little bit of it. But it would be tricky to set a compressor pedal to do all that. Some kind of tune up, speakers and tubes might help with some aspects. If you try a Dumble pedal keep the gain low. Its not stereotypic Dumble but a D pedal might give you part of it set right.

Also you can use heavier strings on the two trebles. That will definitely give you some of that thicker tone. Works great for me and Trower.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  18. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well if your needing that tone at any volume, a amp in box pedal will probably be needed, if your wanting to use amps preamp/power section but just re-color it a bit something like Zen drive could probably get you there.

Also your comment about forget amp I'm using just get me a pedal to sound like this is a improbable scenario, what amp circuit, what tubes you use and what speakers/cabs you use are always the most defining factors of any rig. Some person could have exact same head/cab as you but use it with Fane speakers, pedal solution for each of you could be totally different based purely on what speakers your using. Your comparing your head/cab to a combo, vastly different animals just on the speaker/cab configuration.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  19. VintageOscar

VintageOscar Member

Excellent advice from everyone. I realize that there's an incredible amount of factors that come into play when getting good tone. The reason wanted you to ignore the fact that I have a Jubilee, is because I wanted to take focus off the amp. I've tried every EQ setting, different speakers, different tubes etc, and I think I've reached a limit to what the amp can do by itself. I need something else, probably a pedal, to thicken the sound of the amp and sort of smooth out its fizzy distortion. I'll look into the Zendrive as well.

By the way, would it be possible to switch out the LEDs in the amp? I've heard somewhere that Bonamassa did that to make his Jubilees sound more classic hardrock instead the classic Jubilee 80's tone.

20. coreyterrell

coreyterrell Member

I gotta say-
    For serious-
    I have an Alexander Jubilee Silver Overdrive #J6188-

AND....
    IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!
    Humbucker or Single coils into MXR Script Phase 90 into Alexander Jubilee Silver OD into Vox AC 15 Custom....

I am new to EL84s

I had an ARCHER to drive a Fender Blackface styled amp....

When I got my Alexander Jubilee Silver OD- I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!

It's a JTM45

Dial it back, and it's you and your guitar classic rock GOD come to life...

Jeez- get this thing to 2 o'clock and harmonics jump so happily off of the neck!!!!