What overdrive pedal responds to the guitar volume knob well?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ledzep618, Mar 1, 2015.

1. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I'm looking for a pedal that responds well (cleans up well) in response to the volume knob. I have a great clean platform but would like to have an OD I can set a notch or two above my base clean volume wise, then roll down the guitar volume for crunchy rhythm, and crank it back to 10 for leads. I'd like to stick with one drive pedal as opposed to stacking multiples for my leads.

Amp is a Peavey C30 w/ cannabis rex..stay clean all the way up.

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

Boss Blues Driver

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Almost all of them. You'd have to work harder to find one that isn't dynamic to the pick and the volume knob, than one that is. Some focus more on this aspect as others, as a selling point.

4. GT100

GT100 Member

The ones with less gain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. 8len8

8len8 Member

I think the Sweet Honey OD was supposed to do that very well.

6. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

7. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

8. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

As long as it doesn't border on Distortion they all should. I use my Mythical Overdrive that way - Gain all the way up, and then ride the volume and tone knobs for different tones and gains.

9. bluflames

bluflames Member

I have heard but cannot confirm that a rat can do this.

In my experience no drive pedal cleans up as well as a simple treble bleed on your volume control. What I mean by that is, a tubescreamer, bluesbreaker, even the klone pedals, they all clean up well to where you can get less distortion by rolling down your volume, but there is some high end loss.

Now, at full tilt/stage volumes you probably won't notice the high end loss unless you're using a dark guitar like a les Paul with covered humbuckers.

Getting back on topic, My favorite OD for this kind is actually the jfet-based boosts. They get thicker when you turn them up so having something like the clinchfx EP pre, fulltone fat boost or DoD bifet can work really well in front of a dirt pedal to give you some girth for leads and then let you kind of sit back in the mix a little more with the volume rolled off.

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

11. sixrails

sixrails Supporting Member

I found these all respond nicely to the volume control: Sweet Honey Overdrive, Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, OCD, Kingsley Jester.

12. koa

koa Member

13. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

14. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

My favorites for clean up with changes in the guitar volume knob or pick attack are the Rockett Blue Note and the Mad Professor SHOD. The Fulltone FD2 does a good job, too, as do the Catalinbread DLS and SFT. However, these pedals differ in how the rolled back sound compares to the amp's base tone. And if you want to roll back and still get crunch, then you might want a higher gain OD setting or a distortion. The Marshall-style pedals might be better for rolling back to crunch vs. clean.

15. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

Was gonna say this. Or even try a fuzz face with the gain rolled back, or a similar germanium drive like the eqd crimson drive

16. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Blackstone definitely. Especially if it is first in your signal chain with the buffer off.

17. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

:dunnoIt seems to me that ANY drive pedal could do that. The less gain that goes into the pedal should be the less that come out.

:dunno

18. too many hobbie

too many hobbie Member

Lovepedal Amp 11 with the independent switching. Set the amp for boost always on and set the OD channel to the threshold that does what you're asking for. You're welcome.

19. Yarnhawk

Yarnhawk Member

This. Show me one od pedal that doesn't have some version of "touch sensitive, dynamic, excellent cleanup" in the advertising.

20. BoTheMu

BoTheMu Member

OCD has great clean up and doesn't get muddy, in my experience of course.

The circuit feeds back on its self so hitting the input more or less has a bigger impact on the gain. Roll down a bit and it cleans up quickly.