What Overdrive pedal you place between these other two?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AnEscapeKey, Jul 11, 2019.

1. AnEscapeKey

AnEscapeKey Member

My board has a few overdrive pedals, and I am not too sure about the one in the middle (Green Rhino).

Higher gain: The DUDE by J. Rockett (I LOVE LOVE LOVE this pedal)

Green Rhino

Softer gain: Sarno Music Earth Drive (a Klon centaur type pedal. Love it. Saw it in the Nels Cline Rig Rundown and bought it afterwards.

I like to stack, but I'd like to see what people would put instead of the Green Rhino. I play in a cover band (alt rock 80s, 90s 00s, 10s). So I do not need very heavy gain pedals.

Anyway, your thoughts? :)

2. krazybaka

krazybaka Member

What do you want the middle pedal to accomplish? Also what kind of guitar and amp?

Gilwater likes this.
  3. KBN

KBN Member

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. But that's just me. I love it in between other overdrives. It likes boosting and being boosted.

parkhill and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  4. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

What's the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine like? I've heard great things.
    Is it like the BJFe Honeybee? I haven't played that either..

5. parkhill

parkhill Member

This is still my favorite overdrive of all time, largely for the reasons you listed. I also enjoy it on it's own without any stacking. I'm talking specifically about the mkii. I've never tried the mkiii but I think it's a different circuit.

KBN likes this.
  6. KBN

KBN Member

I have the Liquid Sunshine mkii. I've never played the honey bee so I can't compare. But as far as what the LS is like, it is mostly just more of what you have going on already. I'm not going to call it transparent because while it retains your tone, it is more than that. It is harmonically rich and imparts a little bit of unpredictability that a cranked up amp has. Whenever it is on I have the thought, "I bet this is what this amp sounds like when it is really cooking."

One caveat: I don't think it sounds very good if the amp is turned down really low. It seems like it really wants to interact with the amp so in low volume situations I really only use it stacked with something else.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  7. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

I would have suggested a TS-like pedal - which the GR is fine example of. 'Specially if you're using Fender guitars and amps.

8. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Thanks for elaborating on that. I had read on the OD but didn't know why it was so sought after, not that I'm getting one. Does it have similarity to the Timmy in some way, they may differ in the harmonics from what I see in the demos.

9. KBN

KBN Member

I don't have a Timmy, but I do have a Lovepedal Amp 11, which is apparently similar. I can get the LS and the Amp 11 to sound decently close to each other, but they certainly are not the same. Amp 11 has a clearer top end while the LS has a little more harmonic color in the top end. There is also a bit more mids with the LS, though nothing like a tube screamer. My overdrive signal chain is Amp 11 > Liquid Sunshine > EMMA Reezafratzitz 2. Boosting the LS with the Amp 11 just makes the LS sound bigger. Boosting the Reezafratzitz with the LS focuses and saturates it. All 3 is a wall of mayhem. And I'm running all 3 in the lower half of their drive ranges. Harmonic saturation more than gain saturation. At least that's how I think about it.

10. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

That gives me a good impression of the LS & can relate what you're saying to the videos that I've watched. It sounds like a cranked amp. I have a Timmy clone & it has that something in high end while being having great clarity & smoothness. I like plying cleans on it actually, stand alone & use it at the end of my chain.
    Guitar > EQ > OCD > Timmy (gr8 EQ & overall character)
    I also look for dynamics, clarity & harmonics & am quite happy with the versatility that these pedals provide me.
    I couldn't try anything before buying these pedals & was the first time I was getting into gear & I couldn't be happier; forums helped a lot with that. Thanks!

11. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

12. Gilwater

Gilwater Member

I think that the blanket answer would be the Timmy. But really, if you don't have a specific purpose/tone that you're tryin to achieve, then I'd probably not fuss with another OD. When you find that you're in need of something specific, like an octafuzz or something, then add it then.

13. AnEscapeKey

AnEscapeKey Member

Duesenberg Starplayer TV with Fender Blues Deluxe.

I guess something that’ll give me a different color...?

14. krazybaka

krazybaka Member

I'd look into some of the earthquaker drive pedals like the speaker cranker since you have such strongly voiced pedals something a bit more neutral might help. Maybe even a Timmy.

15. Stu James

Stu James Member

Hard to beat the Rhino, I think it sounds awesome running into other overdrives

16. AnEscapeKey

AnEscapeKey Member

I’ve always been intrigued by the Timmy. So many people rave about it....