What overdrive pedals do you use with your Carr Rambler

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gratay, Apr 17, 2016.

1. gratay

gratay Member

I just bought a Carr Rambler which I couldn't be more happy with.. Fantastic amp

I'm wondering what Overdrive pedals you've found really suit your Rambler. I imagine pretty much anything will sound good in front of this amp but what have you found works best.
    I'm in the country/ jazz/ rock realm using a telecaster mostly

I have a Rockett Blue Note which sounds great to me at home . I have my first gig with this new amp next week so I haven't heard it with a band yet.

reddgeetarzan likes this.
  2. BallaBalla

BallaBalla Member

Try the new thorpy peacekeeper. I know it's not the cheapest but I just can't imagine having another one in the future. I had some other ODs and you're right, basically almost everything sounds good with the rambler. But with the thorpy I can decide how much will the bass treble mids disappear or be increased. The EQ is just brilliant.

3. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

Interested in this topic as we played a gig at the hard rock cafe not too long ago and I had a hard time getting a good tone dialed in. To be fair, I'm not generally a 6V6 guy and we couldn't really crank the volume much to open up the amp.

4. gratay

gratay Member

Thanks I just had a listen to a couple of clips.. Very nice sounding pedal.

5. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

The Rambler is a 6L6 based amp

6. reddgeetarzan

I've had VERY good luck with a Bearfoot Sparkling Yellow OD (2). It really brings out the bottom end at lower volumes. The Rock Box Boiling Point is also very nice. I use a Rockett Blue Note or a Firefly OD to goose the clean into the 'sparkle zone'. The other two are my OD's I've used with great success.

7. reddgeetarzan

Trust me, it happens to all of us!!! :anon It might explain your issue with the volume! I've had great luck with mine in Triode mode, but it can still be pretty loud. Its rather ironic that you're having volume issues at the 'hard rock' cafe :hide2

8. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

What kind of circuit is the Peacekeeper based on?

9. warren3333

warren3333 Supporting Member

Long time Rambler owner here, and some great advice already in this thread...

@Memphistokid - for clean cleans, think pentode mode. For a suggestion of break up, and a less hi-fi, more give sound - use triode. The 'mid' knob on most Carrs introduces more drive/break up into the sound (i prefer 'mid scooped' personally)...

So, to pedals. The Rambler is very pedal friendly; indeed one of the best amps Ive encountered for not being picky.

The best Ive encountered, and ive tried many (!!), lowest od first;

- Fairfield The Accountant: very good at slight break up

- Bearfoot SYOD/Model H: fantastic all round

- Zendrive: smooth, touch sensitive

- MP Simble: as per the Zendrive, only better. A 'sleeper' OD, and one of THE best out there

- Wampler 30 Something: Vox into a Carr !

- PTD Mini Bone/Wampler Velvet/Analogman Nkt Sunface: all clean up superbly

- Nobels ODR/ODS: cheap as chips, stunning all round

Hope this all helps !

gratay likes this.
  10. gratay

gratay Member

Interesting... I have been using an RC booster which is always on and using the Blue Note for OD.

11. gratay

gratay Member

Thanks ....lots of options there. And I do want to add something that does the Zendrive thing. There's a few I want to try . The Simble being one and Rockett's The Dude also.

I did my first gig with the Rambler the other day and decided to start in triode mode...worked pretty well but it wasn't until the 2nd set I decided to flick over to Pentode and immediately went "That's the one". Instantly felt more at home. But it is so versatile ... Just sounds great no matter what you dial in.

12. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

With my Rambler, I prefer to use overdrives that have some midrange bump/color and top end smoothing as opposed to more flat midrange eq and or midrange scooped types.

I own and routinely use a Klon, King of Tone, Silver mod Tubescreamer, Timmy, and a Fulldrive 2 - and all sound different, yet stellar.

My favorite being my '02 Custom Shop pre-Mosfet Fulldrive 2 with the 3-way toggle set in the Flat-Mids mode. Really great balance of midrange color, compression, and top end smoothing vs. openness and transparency that I've yet to find in any other drive.

As already mentioned, the Rambler is a really great pedal platform for most any overdrive so it mostly comes down to personal taste.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    gratay likes this.
  13. ArchtopAnimal

ArchtopAnimal Member

I play a Fairfield Barbershop ( FET based ) through mine when not using the reverb/trem effect .
    It adds mids , not highs .

gratay likes this.
  14. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

When I had my Rambler it was hard to find an OD that sounded bad with it. Some of my favorites were:

Red Snapper (outstanding with teles and strats)
    Tone Freak Abunai 2
    Jetter Gain Stage Red

Its a great amp!

gratay likes this.
  15. Marshal28

Marshal28 Member

I have a 1x12 (Elsinore) Rambler incoming on Monday afternoon. I'll chime in with my thoughts regarding the following:
    ZVEX Super-Duper 2-in-1
    ZVEX Fat Fuzz Factory
    Caroline Guitar Company Wave Cannon mkii
    Fairfield Circuitry Accountant